“Embassy not the place for a big conference”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was attending a conference at the Virginia Embassy and even though I arrived at the hotel at 11 am prior to the 3 pm check-in time, I did not get my room until 7 pm. I was told several time that my room would be read at 4, 4:30, 5, 5:30, 6, 6:30 and 7 until they finally got it right. Other people were still waiting at that late time to get their room. I think the staff was not prepared to hold a conference for over 300 students and staff. It also could of been that they had to much going on for one because they had a wedding and also a church conference going but I have been to other hotels and they have had multiply events going on and have been able to accommodate everyone in a timely order. Also they don't have anyone to that is technically sound to be able to help in their business center. The only thing that saved this hotel was not having to talk to the front desk because they all seemed stressed and overwhelmed when you talked to was when I finally got in my room 8 hours later It was nice, they had a nice bar area, and the breakfast was very good. Last thing the internet is HORRIBLE and in order get free internet you had to go to the convention next door.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear deontec,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with the timeliness of service during higher traffic periods have been addressed. Your feedback will definitely help us to prepare the next time we have large groups at our property. Additionally, we have expanded the Internet service bandwith so that you will have a better Internet experience. We appreciate you alerting us to these issues and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that the Embassy Suites brand is known for.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel itself was clean. I have two issues with this hotel. Customer service is horrible. I had the pleasure of being stuck in the elevator for ten minutes during my stay. The response was quick as far as the engineer being able to get the door open once he arrived but at no time did anyone ask if I was ok. I also have a issue with breakfast when I checked in I was not asked how many people would be staying in my room. Imagine my surprise when my boyfriend and I went to have breakfast the next morning and was told we needed a ticket which I had no clue about. We ended up going out to eat. This stay was a weekend getaway for my boyfriends birthday. I would have rather stayed at home.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ebony06
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Ebony06,

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry we let the ball drop. Our standard is to cover the need for breakfast tickets at checkin. I apologize if this wasn’t done and will follow up with the team. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and your review will help us to continue to do so. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Staff at check in was aloof and impersonal. I did not feel welcome. Later that evening I went to the desk to ask a question, stood 15 minutes behind someone trying to pay for a movie, and then the staff person told someone who just approached that they would be with them in a moment. Was I invisible??
I was very concerned after I read the following Notice on the elevator. I was not given this info when I checked in, but later picked up a copy from the front desk. “. . . we will be performing maintenance on all of the bathtubs in the hotel. Starting on Sunday, August 26th through September 5th, a maintenance person may need to enter your suite to work on the bath tub. This work will be done between the hours of 8:30 am through 6:00 pm. During this time, any “Do Not Disturb” signs will not be honored so the procedure can be completed. The process in each suite should take no longer than 30 minutes but the tub may not be able to be used for several hours afterwards. A note will be left advising you of the time necessary for the tub to cure . . .” Oookkaaay!! Please note that the Notice stated ‘Do Not Disturb will NOT be honored', and the tub may NOT be used for SEVERAL HOURS! I was on a tight time schedule and fortunately they did not enter my room. It was Labor Day weekend - probably not a smart business move and could have created problems. The room were clean and the beds (doubles not queens) were comfortable. Many other locations have a sink with mirror in the bedroom, this room did not.
The Omelet line was extremely long and slow, then order was given to the wrong person so I had to wait even longer. It was hard to find a seat, the plates and trays were never removed from the tables but the food was great. I have stayed here before with no problems. Would I stay here again? Hard to say, I did not feel as if my business was appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vn2win
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Vn2win,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We do appreciate your business and are glad you found your suite to be clean and comfortable.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. I apologize if you experienced an inconvenience due to our maintenence department needing access to guest rooms. The letter did also state that if you had any concerns to please contact the front desk, who made many accomodations for guests. The letter was just to let people know that if anyone had a "Do Not Disturb" we would knock and enter. I apologize if the letter was not effectively communicated and we will take your comments into consideration for any future maintenence requirements. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our front desk. We will be sure to share your feedback with our team members.

If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of our hotel please e-mail us at phfcc_gm@hilton.com.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is about my sixth stay here, and I've liked it every time. The rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable. Very convenient to the convention center. You can have either a cooked to order breakfast or fill up and the buffet if there's a line for the cook. Manager's reception is always nice to have. The only thing keeping this from 5 dots is the expensive and slow (for the money) internet. If you don't have status, you'll pay about $10 a day. For that money you should get blistering speeds but you only get a 1 or 2 mbps. Aside from the internet, an excellent hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors less exposed to lobby noise. And try to stay away from rooms next to the elevators.
Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear mikedief,

We were delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and Manager's Reception. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be very helpful. This hotel is nicely located (adjacent to the coliseum), also easy access to route 64/664. Lots of shopping and eating options close by. This property definitely stands up to what I have come to expect at an Embassy Suites. The nightly managers reception offering free drinks and snacks, and a well stocked breakfast buffet with the oppurtunity to get eggs/omlet to order. Will stay here again when I am in the area.

Dear Michael K,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center and we hope to see you again soon for your next stay in Hampton, Virginia.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was my worst stay here ever. I have stayed here before and it seemed better. There were bed bugs everywhere. The mattress encasements do not hide them. I told the supervisor and the front desk and they said we have been having that problem. The GM has got to be terrified. I would advise the GM to look for another job. I had to women cleaning my room together and they both smelled terrible and left the room untidy. This hotel needs new management bad. When was the last inspection???Scary Place!!!!

Room Tip: Bring your black light and inspect your room yourself. Bring deodorizer.
6  Thank Scott278
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Scott278,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. Please check your messages as I will be sending you my office number so that you may contact me. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly so we may learn more about your experience to resolve any issues. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was booked here to be close to the convention center. It was very convenient especially since it had a covered walkway.
The 10th floor shows a beautiful view both inside and out. Clean rooms, sweet smelling sheets, fat pillows, huge bathroom, full breakfast bar. Fitness room was minimal, but adequate.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear kim r,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Hampton, VA.