“Not made to feel my business was appreciated.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Staff at check in was aloof and impersonal. I did not feel welcome. Later that evening I went to the desk to ask a question, stood 15 minutes behind someone trying to pay for a movie, and then the staff person told someone who just approached that they would be with them in a moment. Was I invisible??
I was very concerned after I read the following Notice on the elevator. I was not given this info when I checked in, but later picked up a copy from the front desk. “. . . we will be performing maintenance on all of the bathtubs in the hotel. Starting on Sunday, August 26th through September 5th, a maintenance person may need to enter your suite to work on the bath tub. This work will be done between the hours of 8:30 am through 6:00 pm. During this time, any “Do Not Disturb” signs will not be honored so the procedure can be completed. The process in each suite should take no longer than 30 minutes but the tub may not be able to be used for several hours afterwards. A note will be left advising you of the time necessary for the tub to cure . . .” Oookkaaay!! Please note that the Notice stated ‘Do Not Disturb will NOT be honored', and the tub may NOT be used for SEVERAL HOURS! I was on a tight time schedule and fortunately they did not enter my room. It was Labor Day weekend - probably not a smart business move and could have created problems. The room were clean and the beds (doubles not queens) were comfortable. Many other locations have a sink with mirror in the bedroom, this room did not.
The Omelet line was extremely long and slow, then order was given to the wrong person so I had to wait even longer. It was hard to find a seat, the plates and trays were never removed from the tables but the food was great. I have stayed here before with no problems. Would I stay here again? Hard to say, I did not feel as if my business was appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vn2win
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Vn2win,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We do appreciate your business and are glad you found your suite to be clean and comfortable.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. I apologize if you experienced an inconvenience due to our maintenence department needing access to guest rooms. The letter did also state that if you had any concerns to please contact the front desk, who made many accomodations for guests. The letter was just to let people know that if anyone had a "Do Not Disturb" we would knock and enter. I apologize if the letter was not effectively communicated and we will take your comments into consideration for any future maintenence requirements. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our front desk. We will be sure to share your feedback with our team members.

If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of our hotel please e-mail us at phfcc_gm@hilton.com.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is about my sixth stay here, and I've liked it every time. The rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable. Very convenient to the convention center. You can have either a cooked to order breakfast or fill up and the buffet if there's a line for the cook. Manager's reception is always nice to have. The only thing keeping this from 5 dots is the expensive and slow (for the money) internet. If you don't have status, you'll pay about $10 a day. For that money you should get blistering speeds but you only get a 1 or 2 mbps. Aside from the internet, an excellent hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors less exposed to lobby noise. And try to stay away from rooms next to the elevators.
Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear mikedief,

We were delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and Manager's Reception. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be very helpful. This hotel is nicely located (adjacent to the coliseum), also easy access to route 64/664. Lots of shopping and eating options close by. This property definitely stands up to what I have come to expect at an Embassy Suites. The nightly managers reception offering free drinks and snacks, and a well stocked breakfast buffet with the oppurtunity to get eggs/omlet to order. Will stay here again when I am in the area.

Dear Michael K,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center and we hope to see you again soon for your next stay in Hampton, Virginia.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was my worst stay here ever. I have stayed here before and it seemed better. There were bed bugs everywhere. The mattress encasements do not hide them. I told the supervisor and the front desk and they said we have been having that problem. The GM has got to be terrified. I would advise the GM to look for another job. I had to women cleaning my room together and they both smelled terrible and left the room untidy. This hotel needs new management bad. When was the last inspection???Scary Place!!!!

Room Tip: Bring your black light and inspect your room yourself. Bring deodorizer.
6  Thank Scott278
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Scott278,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. Please check your messages as I will be sending you my office number so that you may contact me. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly so we may learn more about your experience to resolve any issues. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was booked here to be close to the convention center. It was very convenient especially since it had a covered walkway.
The 10th floor shows a beautiful view both inside and out. Clean rooms, sweet smelling sheets, fat pillows, huge bathroom, full breakfast bar. Fitness room was minimal, but adequate.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear kim r,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Hampton, VA.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed for two nights at this hotel. My view was not so good, I had 3rd floor and it overlooked fan things. Had problem with booking, complained, but nothing happened. So fine, but the room had nothing in the mini bar, there is no mini bar. Just an empty fridge, not sure why it's there. The breakfast is just like normal breakfast, but it gets really crowded, so make sure you go early.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors and facing out to the coliseum
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank minty77
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear minty77,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. While we do not provide a mini bar, we do have a fridge in the suite which guests can use to keep their items cold. I do apologize for the issue you encountered with your booking. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please send an e-mail to PHFCC_GM@hilton.com so we may address it with you directly. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is close to the convention center. It was very nice. I was pleasantly surprised to find a king bed. It was very large and not like the newer smaller beds hotels are using these days. Our corner room had a very nice view. Book a corner room if you can. They have large picture windows. The bathrooms were huge for a hotel room. There was was sink in the bathroom and one right outside the bathroom so 2 people can get washed up at the same time. That was a nice touch. Do make sure you carry your manager reception/breakfast pass with you. They do check every time. I don't know if they have had problems with non hotel guests trying to enter but they do check the dates and the number of people in your group. The last few Embassys I stayed in , I kept it with me but it was never checked. Breakfast was nice. I would have given this hotel a 5 rating but I did not because internet access was 10 dollars a day. I have stayed at cheaper hotels where it was free. I would rather see them charge a little more and include it in the cost of the hotel room. I needed to check my e-mail less than 10 minutes a day. The price was not worth it. Yes they did have internet access at their 2 computers down stairs, but I did not want to wait to use it. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a corner room, they are much larger with a large windows
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Beckyone
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Beckyone,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. We are very happy to know that our King Corner Suite exceeded your expectations and provided you with comfortable accomodations during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Hampton, Virginia.