“Fun lunch location”

The Barking Dog
Ranked #8 of 298 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An abandoned waterfront Fish Shack. An audacious idea. Hot dogs, hamburgers, craft beer and a simple philosophy...exceed expectations and embrace community. A rustic gathering spot for all walks of life.
Hampton
“Fun lunch location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

My brother was visiting from PA and we wanted to eat lunch at a location that featured the Hampton water scene. We decided on The Barking Dog Restaurant, on Kecoughtan Rd. There is limited parking, but the casual dining restaurant only has so many picnic tables available for about 60 people in the outdoor seating. The hostess was friendly and helpful. We had a short wait for a table and she said we could help ourselves to beverages in their refrigerated cooler room. We opted to wait until we were seated. I ordered one of the specials, the red, white and blue Hampton sausage with blue cheese and carmelized onions. It was delicious. My husband ordered a fried fish sandwich, huge portion. My brother ordered the buffalo chicken and we all had a side of fries. The soda came in cans with a cup of ice. Iced tea was Gold Peak. We watched a boat being lowered in the water while we ate. Waitress was friendly and checked on us just enough. Bill came to $32 without tip. We will definitely return. One tip: don't throw rocks in the inlet!

Yorktown, Virginia
“Barking Dog”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

Good place to get a beer and good food. We had the traditional bratwurst with toppings and fresh mahi mahi fish tacos. Good stuff, good price.

Virginia
“Excellent customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

My family (me, husband, 6 yr old, and 21 month old went here at 5. It was my daughters birthday and all we had eaten was cake. Everyone was coming down off sugar and acting like a HOT MESS. Well, I thought they had a chicken basket--and that's all both my kids will eat. I was dying to try the fish tacos but my kids and husband started whining. So after we got sat, we got up and had to leave. HERES THE POINT: we were a mess, but the waitress was great and understanding. We will return without the kids. It looks like a great place to sit outside by the water with a beer and some good food. Not a place for little ones (no high chairs and picnic table or bench seating), but looks like a cool place. We will return.

Visited August 2014
“Great spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great spot if you are looking for a Brat, dog, crab cake, and want to sit outside in comfort! Best canned craft-beer selection around for sure! Spicy Brat/Sausage concoctions. Not to be missed if you're in Hampton.

• Visited November 2013
Hampton Roads
“Fun evening adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Wanted something different so figured I would give this place a try. My coworkers always talk about it.

They were pretty busy for a Sunday evening but we got a table by the water after a few minutes.

Service was fast and friendly. Tried the corn dog nuggets, the 1/4 lb hotdogs are quite big! Fries were piping hot and portions were very good for the cost.

Will return and try something else. It's not fancy, but fun!