“An unexpected find” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bradenton, Florida
“An unexpected find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We wanted a bite to eat and checked the GPS for ideas. This place came up and, since it was very close to the hotel, we stopped in. We were immediately shown to a table and orders were taken. My husband ordered a little sushi and I ordered shumai as an appetizer.

The clear soup and salad came out fairly quickly, as did our drinks. The appetizers came a little later... the sushi was good but the shumai was rather fishy and tasted frozen.

There were a total of 6 people at the teppan table, and it took a while for the chef to come out and begin cooking. He was very entertaining and skillful - the main meal was fantastic. It was plentiful and downright tasty. The prices are pretty average for this type of cuisine.

It's a really nondescript kind of place, located in a strip mall. You can easily miss it when you go, but I think you should stop in. The food was great, service was attentive and price average.

• Visited July 2014

Newport News, Virginia
“Good Food, Poor Everything Else”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Unfortunately, I feel like I am on an unending mission to find a decent Hibachi place in Hampton Roads.

We dined here on a Friday night and the place was nearly empty. They only had a few tables running. It was also very hot inside, to the point where they had a carpet dryer going to help cool it down. When we sat down, I noticed that there was grease on my plate. I asked the waitress for a new one, which she apologized and cleaned the dripping grease off of the suspended hood. Not a very nice way to start off dinner.

The waitress was very nice and attentive, but seemed to have to follow some very strange rules set by management. The family that was sat with us asked if they could give their son's rice to the father. It seemed reasonable, but the waitress could not let it happen (she tried to get several managers to let her) and the family ended up leaving. Seems like a silly reason to loose their business.

The chef who cooked for us was not entertaining and almost seemed lethargic. I asked the waitress ahead of time if I could get my rice without egg. The chef forgot and served me rice with egg. I was not going to say anything as I hate conflict, but the waitress saw me picking the larger pieces of egg out. She had the chef remake my rice, which he did not seem to be happy with. I also had to remind him of the sauces we were supposed to get as he was about to walk away.

Despite all the negatives, my husband and I really did enjoy the food. The steak was very fatty, and I had to try to pull large pieces of hanging fat off before I could eat it, but the taste was excellent. The veggies were cooked well and my husband loved the shrimp appetizer he got. The hot green tea I ordered was amazing.

I wish that everything had been as good as the food. I guess my search continues.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Willoughby, VA
“Never been turned away for service until now...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went here yesterday at lunch time after finding them on Yelp. Was told if we want sushi there's a 35-40 minute wait and she asked us if that is ok? Well of course not. We are on our lunch hour. To be fair I guess I would recommend calling ahead to see if there's a wait for um lunch. The place wasn't busy. We looked in the back and didn't see many people. Also there was no reason given for the wait except they had a lot of take out orders to prepare. Since when does take out trump people there to eat in house? I have no idea why they wouldn't want our business but I will not be back anytime soon. Maybe on a day I'm not working so I can edit my review. I don't have time on a strict lunch hour to drive to different places when I should be able to get there, order, go. So strange. And they didn't explain right away. We walked in, were told to sit in the foyer. We sat down for a minute, then the lady says if we want quick eating we can do hibachi - well no, we didn't come there for that. We wanted sushi. Maybe they need to hire more sushi chefs? Just very strange and I felt like they didn't want our business for some reason.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great find...Will Definitely Go Back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

While driving down the road, I got a craving for some sushi, which is how I came upon the Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse (TJS). The facility was clean, well maintained and the service was excellent! There are different seating options, such as at the sushi bar (they also serve bar drinks too), some tables, then chairs around the grills where guests can watch a chef prepare their meals. Since I went in for a quick bite, I chose the sushi bar option. The "volcano" sushi was excellent! Had just the right amount of sauce to give it a flavorful kick. I plan to return in the near future to try the other sushi rolls and the grill side!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Great Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I have been here a few times now and each time has always been great. The service is always wonderful and everyone's very nice. We always do hibachi and get a sushi appetizer. Both are delicious. And of course you get the show as a bonus. They always seem empty which I find weird but it makes for no wait. Will definitely be going back.

• Visited January 2013