“When you're missing Tex-Mex” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 296 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Franklin, Virginia
“When you're missing Tex-Mex”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife lived in Texas while in college, and I lived in Phoenix for 20 years, so when she wants Mexican or Tex-Mex, she wants to go to Abuelo's. I had the Fideo con Pollo--Chicken breast lightly sautéed with a cream sauce and seasonal vegetable medley, then tossed with Angel hair pasta. Topped with diced tomatoes. My one and only complaint would be that they used too much sauce. It packed plenty of cheese and spice, so they could use less. Next time, I'll order it light on the sauce. It was delicious, but and she had a two enchilada combo meal. She loved the ground beef taco with the fiery queso. Both were excellent. The frozen margaritas and the Sangria Swirl (similar to Z-Tejas' Chambord margarita) were delicious. Dinner for two plus three jumbo drinks was just around 60 with tip.
We were too full for dessert. We were seated and served promptly, and our server was attentive without being overbearing. It was a 6:30 meal, a lively crowd, kid friendly. We will be back.

• Visited March 2014

Fairfax, Virginia
“Great food, not so great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

The meal was great, but the service fell apart. The manager was busy running meals out to tables instead of managing his staff. Several staff were just wandering around while my server was very busy and didn't refill my drink. The host could use some training. He wasn't friendly and really didn't acknowledge I was there. The manager needs to manage his staff better.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ashland, Oregon
“Excellent Food. Small Portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I eat at Abuelo's regularly. We recently had lunch there on a Saturday. We were seated quickly and our waiter, Orlando, was prompt, courteous and friendly without being intrusive. And, he did not call us You Guys. For starters we had the spinach stuffed mushrooms. They were hot and delicious. My wife had the taco and enchelota combination. I had my usual, the Reynosa Salad. The food was very good and my wife loved hers. Mine, however, was mostly shredded lettuce with very little ground beef. We estimated about a tablespoon. I like the taste of Mexican seasoned ground beef, but there was so little that I could not taste it. I will not order it again. We will be back again, but I was disappointed for the first time at this establishment.

Visited March 2014
Deer Park
“Excellent selections”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Try the enchilada Carmen and the silver Margarita. Service is OK. Don't know if this is local or a chain

Hampton, Virginia
“My favorite Mexican!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

My first experience with Abuelo’s was just getting takeout. Our food was delicious so a friend and I went in to eat last week. The restaurant is beautiful and was packed on Friday evening. The service was very friendly, attentive, and prompt with everything. The mixed berry mojitos I had were pretty good and my friend liked her sangria margarita. We were given complimentary chips with 3 sauces; I don’t know the names of them but my favorite was a light refreshing green sauce (could have been cilantro, tomatillo…), the other 2 were different red salsas, one was mild, the other pretty hot with a bit of a smoky, earthy flavor. The chips were fresh, light and crispy with just enough salt. We both ordered what I had recommended from the takeout I got before: the beef and cheese chimichanga. It was really delicious – full of flavor and the 2 sauces on top were delicious. They accommodated my requests for extra sour cream and extra diced tomatoes. The entrée came with 2 sides that you get to choose and I got the same things again as when I got takeout – refried beans and their Espinaca Casserole. This casserole is a delicious blend of spinach, cheese, etc. and it is so incredible I could eat it by the bucket. Portions were great for the very reasonable price. Everything was very fresh and full of flavor. I've never eaten much Mexican food, mostly because I've never found anything I've really liked enough to go back. I will be at Abuelo's all the time!!

• Visited January 2014