“3rd strike and your out!”
Review of Bar Louie

Bar Louie
Ranked #194 of 302 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Hampton, VA
“3rd strike and your out!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Third and final attempt at this restaurant, all three visits were terrible. Today we dined for lunch and we're the ONLY diners in there, took well over 20 minutes for a kid's spaghetti to come out....and it was COLD!!! I am shocked that a chef would put that type of product out (cold spaghetti). Our 2 sandwiches came out 30 minutes after we ordered. Took forever to get refills, definitely will not be returning.

• Visited November 2013

“Done with Bar Louie!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I have been a faithful customer and have called managers and written reviews hoping there would be a turn around. However, my experience at Bar Louie gets worst and worst. I invited friends there for drinks last night to celebrate my birthday and I was so disappointed on my special day. It took 25 minutes to get our first cocktail and the bar was not even packed! Our food took about 40 minutes, our tempura shrimp was fried hard as rocks, the calamari was like chewing gum, the spinach dip was cold and the buffalo wings were drenched in sauce and were so spicy they burnt our lips and we couldn't even enjoy them!!! Our waitress staggered our drinks so long approx 25 minutes between drinks and it was so frustrating. When we told her to make the drinks come more quickly she was just rude and dismissive about it. All night she moved at a turtles pace and make excuses. Finally, my husbands last manhattan was full of floaties it was so gross! As my title says I am down with this place! It was great when they opened but is such a disappointment now!

• Visited October 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

It had a decent number of people. Decent music (hip hop) it wasn't too loud. The bar tender was a bit slow with service, other than that I would definitely come back.

• Visited September 2013
Hampton, Virginia
“Delicious food, drinks, and atmosphere”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I visited Bar Louie 2x in the past few weeks. You have to bear in mind the day and time we went – both were on the weekend around 2pm. We just went in for a quick snack and drink….expectations set you up for the experience sometimes. What we expected was fabulous drinks and okay food. After reading some of the previous reviews it makes me chuckle that folks somehow have an epiphany and feel the need to mention that “it’s a bar first, restaurant second.” The first word in the title of the place is “Bar.” Of course it’s a bar!!! That’s why we went, we wanted to sample the drinks and roll the dice with the food.

The interior is great. No surprise…a nice big bar. Both times it was ‘seat yourself.’ So we sat at the bar both times – remember our expectations, we were there to indulge in drinks primarily, so sitting at the bar was a must. On both occasions the place was almost empty, just a few small groups here and there….to be expected at that time of day. I agree with all reviews about the customer service….slow to be acknowledged. I had to grab our own menus that are on the bar on both occasions. The most recent time I noticed that the menus were so gross….covered in grease and grime…wanted a bath after touching them, yuck!!
Our bartender/server was different the 2x we went so the lackluster customer service is consistent regardless of staff, however, the drinks were also consistent which is a huge plus. Staff were nice enough, (the manager I think…even came by to check on us a couple times which was cool) but I guess because business is slow at that time of day they hung out at another table to talk or watch sports on TV. Still, never had to flag anyone down, they were attentive enough, just bugged me that we had to wait so long to be acknowledged when we got there.

Between our visits we ordered the following food all from the Small Plates menu, which let me tell you – it is NOT tapas, nor is it small – the portions are awesome!!!! Meatballs al Forno – meatballs, marinara sauce, mozz cheese, and parmesan crostinis: it was average, I’ve never met a meatball as good as my great aunt’s but anyway, it was presented with a cool skillet and lovely parmesan crostinis – perfect texture, light, crunchy, not too hard, could have munched on those for days; Bavarian Pretzel Sticks – comes with 3 dips: cinnamon butter, queso, & honey mustard: now you have to bear in mind we had Just had these same pretzel sticks across the street at the Green Turtle the week before….and yes, these pretzel sticks are very good (green turtles are great, too, but Bar Louie gives you 4 sticks with 3 dips….green turtle gives you 4 sticks with just queso) only bummer was that the butter was cold and a bit hard…but those warm pretzel sticks (not sticks but soft, fluffy pretzel pillows) were very good; Chicken Nachos: very good, but average, you can get them anywhere, but lots of good flavors; and Truffle Butter Popcorn – warm popcorn tossed in truffle butter, parsley and parmesan: good bar food, but we won’t get that again – way more things we’d like to try. I can’t wait to return to try more goodies on their menu, which is great. I don’t understand some reviews that complain about their menu – I’m so excited to try more food. It is clear that they put time and effort into crafting their food, so our goodies FAR exceeded our expectations – Bar Louie is trying to be a more upscale bar….needs more work, but the effort shows in the Food. My hubby and I were busy talking, etc. so it might have taken a minute for the food to come, but we weren’t bothered….especially if you’ve got a great drink in your hand – it won’t matter.

Drinks: hubby had a variety of beers on tap, and I’m a martini girl so I really enjoyed their handcrafted drinks. I tried the Diva, which is okay, but so far my favorite is the Honeydew (b/c I really enjoy Midori and coconut rum, pineapple, etc.) But I can’t wait to try more, especially their cucumber martini.

Ambiance – very cool/casual, and I loved the music! All 80’s which is my sweet spot, but idk what they play at other times of day/night.

Overall, I wish the service was a bit more upbeat and quick with the greeting, etc., but the drinks and food menu, and music will have us coming back for more!!

• Visited September 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Never had a bad experience”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have been here several times and never had a bad experience. The food is very good and the bar staff is always so friendly and attentive. They have the best ultimate bloody mary, I have one every time I am there.

• Visited March 2013