“Heaven on Earth in the middle of Hampton Roads”

Sandy Bottom Nature Park
Ranked #6 of 29 things to do in Hampton
Arlington, Virginia
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Heaven on Earth in the middle of Hampton Roads”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you need a place to get away from it all for a while and commune with nature, this is the spot. They have great walking trails where you can take the pets to stretch their legs around the lake, a "bark park", a fishing pier, camping spots and rental huts for overnight stays, there are rental canoes and paddle boats and even a small zoo of local wildlife and an area where injured animals live while being nurtured back to help--stop in and say hi to "Bucky" (a blind deer) and "Hooty" (an inured owl) and there's even a wildcat living there now. You'd never believe you're right beside I-64 and in the middle of such a heavily populated area--it's a fabulous getaway. The wetlands are being redone right now, but should be back up to speed by Spring.

Visited September 2012

st louis mo
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Great for family and pets! <3”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I come here every time I visit our kids in Hampton VA. I love to take our little granddaughter for a day of playing in the playground, picnicking and seeing the wild animals. While there, we saw a place to rent boats that will take you over a beautiful lake. I'm not sure but I believe they let you fish and I've learned recently that you can even camp here. The park can rent cabins or you can bring your own tents. We also love watching people bring their dogs to the dog park. There are trails to walk the dogs on and trails for human hiking. This is an amazingly beautiful nature reserve and if you're in the Hampton area, do yourself a favor and go!

Visited August 2012
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My husband took me here for a walk one day”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This place is great. I loved it and got a really good feeling when we drove in. Great for all sorts of stuff but we love to walk and walk we did.

Visited July 2012
Hampton, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A great park for family and pets alike”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I originally went to this park to check out the dog park (which is great, by the way) and found myself wandering through the various trails happily for a couple of hours. This is especially beautiful for fall walkers and runners, but there is camping, fishing, paddle-boats, picnic areas, and an animal refuge area to enjoy. The staff is friendly and helpful, and I have even seen weddings performed there recently. This park is a gem- definitely give it a look!

Visited July 2012
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Best park in Hampton!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My kids love the playground because it is shaded well and on a hot day, a shaded park is a major win!

Visited June 2012