“Fantastic food, gorgeous restaurant”
Review of Monsoon

Monsoon
Ranked #20 of 302 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Downey Green
Hampton, Virginia
“Fantastic food, gorgeous restaurant”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A group of us went to Monsoon on a Sunday at 12:30pm, consisting of my husband and I, my friend and her 11 year old son, and our good friend from India who served as our guide and mentor for Indian cuisine.

Monsoon is gorgeous. The service is nonstop. Initially I was bothered by what I felt was ‘hovering.’ But it was explained to me that that is part of the culture to serve and take care, and by the end of our very long lunch I felt totally spoiled. Multiple staff took care of our every need without a single cue from us.

We all ordered a variety of things so we all sampled a bit of each other’s food. Everything was delicious. My husband and I got the Dhaba Chai Tea; it was absolutely delicious; it is served hot with an amaretto cookie. Everyone’s waters were refilled every 10min. it seemed like. From the lunch menu we ordered an appetizer of Crispy Samosa Chat, which was divine (I sort of licked the plate a little :). Then the rest of our meals came from the Express Lunch menu – all dishes came with your choice of protein (or paneer – cheese, or organic veggies), a choice of salad or soup of the day, basmati rice, and naan bread. An incredible amount of food for a very reasonable price. You can dictate your food’s spice level from mild to Indian hot so your preferences are well accommodated. The kiddo in our group got chicken nuggets and fries, lol….he was very happy with his selection. Some folks got the salad which was good, and my husband and I got the soup of the day, which was cauliflower – very very good….not at all what I was expecting, but delicious. I feel like it took a very long time for our entrees to come out, however our soups and salads, and still nibbling on our appetizer, plus conversation made the time irrelevant. Our entrées consisted of Home Style Curry with organic veggies - mild for me, Vindaloo with chicken for my husband – medium, and the same for our Indian friend, except she ordered it Indian hot, and Korma with chicken – mild for our other friend.

Everything was delicious. The Naan was great, however I am hoping that next time I can substitute the regular naan for the Chili Naan- yum! Surprisingly, I found my friend’s Korma bland, and fell in love with my other friend’s Indian Hot Vindaloo! After our meal my husband got a Mango Lassi, which we previously fell in love with at the annual Taste of India Festival…this one was just a little tart for me, but still good. I got the Blue Velvet cocktail for dessert, which consisted of Blue Curacao liqueur, vanilla ice cream, & a few other goodies. It was yummy, but whew…strong!

As you leave there is a bowl of various minty seeds, including some fennel seeds meant to cleanse your palate. I will absolutely be back to try everything else on their menu. You can even order online if you want it To Go! It was an amazing experience and I can hardly wait to return!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ucstefi

Ashland, Oregon
“Monsoon is superior.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I dined at Monsoon on a Saturday around 6:45 pm. There was plenty of good seating. When our hostess started toward a table I asked for a booth. She cheerfully consented and gave us a booth in a great location. We both had Kingfisher beer which we always enjoy and shared the mixed veggie bites for our appetizer. The spinach Crispy Palak Chat and the samosas were especially good. For our entrees, she had the vegetarian dish made with figs called Anjeer Kesar Kofta. She loved it. I had the Lamb Vindaloo. It was cooked perfectly and spicy, the way I like it. I was very pleased with the meal. Each entree came with aged jasmine rice. For our bread we ordered the Bread Basket with naan, aloo naan and garlic naan. We ate a lot of naan, but we still took some home with us. From the Hostess to our waiter and bus people we were made to feel special and provided excellent service. What a joy! We love Indian food, but rarely find a good restaurants. Monsoon is not just good, it is superior.

Visited August 2013
Chesapeake, VA
“Just wow!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Wife, her girlfriend and I ate here recently on a weeknight. Parking is very easy if you arrive early, and Monsoon has change for the parking meters. Atmosphere is excellent, quiet and refined. Service will lag until they figure out you need a comfortable English speaker, but is always respectful and polished. Menu is just magnificent! Note: different levels of 'heat' are available and plainly marked. We asked for 'India hot' and had to ask the waitress to ask the kitchen to kick it up a notch. Just sayin. Food is spectacular! Fresh is the word. My Lamb Vindaloo was the best I've found locally. Wife's scallops dish was delectable. It was so good I am really looking forward to leftovers tonight. Give this place a try and remember that your server may not be totally comfortable with our language and you will quite likely have a VERY memorable meal!

• Visited July 2013
“Excellent food with mediocre service”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to give Monsoon a five badly, but the overall level of service just wouldn't warrant it. The food itself is fantastic. Fresh, flavorful, and plentiful are the adjectives that I would choose. It wasn't that the staff was rude, but there was no sense of urgency or attention to detail. It certainly isn't enough to stop me from going back, but it is something to be improved upon.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Krispie01
Maryland
“Authentic delicious Indian food and great service”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

My teenage son and I ate here based on the Trip Advisor reviews. We loved our food. My son got the Chef's garlic chicken tikka and it was amazing. The meat was so tender and flavorful. It's a flambé dish so the presentation was beautiful. I got a chickpea dish that was tasty. The garlic naan was also delicious. Great food and great service. Everyone was so nice and attentive to our every need. Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2013