“Convenient to Arena and Convention Center”

Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Phoenix, Arizona
“Convenient to Arena and Convention Center”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Was looking for a Suites hotel with Refrigerator and Microwave close to the Hampton Roads Convention Center. This is an extended stay hotel at a low price point. You pay a touch more for the small extras but to be able to have a Refrigerator was great. There are competitive low price point hotels all about but this seems to be the only one this close at this price point. Close to the Convention Center and all kinds of shopping needs including Target, WalMart, McDonalds, Convenience Stores and 24 hour drug stores.

It's not perfect. Only 2 sets of dishes and utensils so you are constantly washing dishes, no dishwasher. Old style tube TV and simple Clock Radio.

There is a clothes washer on site.

This is a simple cost effective location.

To give you a measure of value...The Embassy Suites was nearly 4x the price during the week and over 2x on the weekend for this event.

Room Tip: Only one elevator that is in the front lobby. Front parking fills early. 3 other entrances but onl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gary H
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for the recognition.

Our hotels are currently upgrading our televisions to flat panel televisions! We also keep additional dishes and utensils at the front desk, should you ever need more. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2012

George the hotel manager has been wonderful to our company. We have had employees staying here for months and months while working out of town. We sure do appriciate the great rates in this difficult economy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Miller,

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed May 18, 2012

This is a great place to stay! The customer service is very good. They make you feel like your at home.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you so very much for your review of Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I had to stay in this hotel due to travelling on short notice. I wish I had read TripAdvisor first. When I checked in the gentleman at the front desk took at least a minute to acknowledge me. It was as though I was interrupting him surfing the internet or doing homework. Once he acknowledged me, he was pleasant and friendly. The hotel definitely "no frills" and you shouldn't expect any amenities. The lobby was filthy; I didn’t even want to touch the counter on the reception desk. They have no snack or soda vending machines. No bottled water. I tried to remain open minded – but then I got to my room. The furnishings are very dated, the bedding is atrocious (paper thin sheets, lumpy pillows, bedspreads that didn’t look like they were washed between guests). The bed was hard as a rock, I probably would have been better sleeping on asphalt. There is no closet in the room; just wire racks in a corner that I assume are for hanging clothes on – except there are no clothes hangers in the room. The ironing board cover is stained and burned. The iron ruined my business pants by spitting white stuff out on them. The hotel literally stinks. I am on a non-smoking floor but all I can smell down the hallway is cigarettes.

Room cleaning is not included in your stay. They clean the rooms once a week, if you stay longer than a week. You only get clean towels if you take your dirty towels down to the front desk. If you need toilet paper or tissue – you need to go get it from the front desk. I have never stayed in a hotel that does business this way!

I was supposed to stay for three weeks and two days – but checked out after two days. There’s no way I could have stayed there for more than two nights. I literally feared for my life after seeing some of the people coming in and out of the place.

FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY. Even if you are desperate.

There is ONE plus! Their wireless internet was fast and reliable!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank CityGirlAZ
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have been living the hotels for about 6 years now and i have never had the best hotel experince like this before the staff is the best and the hotel is immaculate.Thank You for allowing such great people to come my way . Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have been a pretty regular extended stay customer during my travels. I have stayed at the Hampton ESA twice during March 2012 and will not stay here again. I prefer basic services such as clean sheets and bathrooms and this last room was marginal at best. I travel a lot and stay at many hotels and this one just doesn't make the grade. If you are desperate this may suffice. The bathtub had human hairs and was obviously not cleaned. The sheets were paper thin and very wrinkled and I am not sure they were if they had been changed since the previous tenant. The plus is each rooms have a kitchenette. It is a mixed bag about how the kitchen is furnished. My first room had enough untensils for two people. The most recent room had spoons and butter knives but no forks. If you like TV to relax you may enjoy the 1960's vintage TVs in the rooms. The remote in the first room worked and the second room only partially worked. Both times duing my stay I strongly suspected the presence of some working girls and their men, although it was pretty low key. Don't plan on staying here again. There are nicer hotels in Hampton for the same money.

Room Tip: If you are desperate this may suffice. Stayed here twice this month. The bathtub had human hairs a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jay J
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Sydney, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2011

ESA Hampton provides a similar standard to other hotels of the same chain - I stayed in 3 ESAs during a recent trip around Virginia.
What made ESA Hampton stand out is an unbelievably poor example of customer service. I paid for my stay, in advance on check-in, with Amex Travellers' Checks and was due $20 worth of change. At the time I was told, my change would be paid on check-out - a little 'strange' but I was willing to allow the leeway. However on check-out 3 days later, I was first told my change was not 'ready', then told no manager was 'available to approve payment'?
In the end, the duty staff simply refused to pay what I was owed!
And ESA claims to be legit business?
You have been warned.