“Very comfortable and pet friendly”

Candlewood Suites - Hampton
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I were traveling with our dog in May and Candlewood Suites was very accommodating to us and pet friendly. They gave us a ground floor room near the side entry which was convenient and quiet. The office staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room had a very well equipped kitchen which allowed us to eat in rather than fast food. The location was very quiet because it was in a wooded area of offices and not on the highway. There were many restaurants and shopping nearby. We were visiting family and would stay here again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Elizabeth43113, thank you for your time and feedback. We are not only all about our guests, but also all about their pets here at Candlewood Suites. We pride ourselves in all being pet lovers, as well as being to accommodate them properly here at the hotel. I am pleased to see you enjoyed the fully equipped kitchen, and our secluded pond side location. We do hope to see you and your pet again soon, thanks for choosing Candlewood Suites, and for providing us with feedback!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for almost an entire month and the staff was always super helpful and accomodating. The location is great, with a fabulous lake directly behind the hotel to fish in. The location is not right in the middle of downtown so it was quiet and still close to Hampton shopping and food. The furniture was comfortable and we really liked that they had a Cupboard of snacks and drinks for us to purchase or charge to the room. Very pet friendly staff as well. We definitely recommend anyone to stay here, especially those with pets since not many extended stay hotels in this area accept pets.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel was recently renovated and it shows. The outside isn't so great, and the lobby is small, and very simple. . .So to be honest when I was checking in, I didn't have very high expectations for the room.

Much to my surprise, the room was perfect! Here is a snapshot of the pros and cons...
(The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star is because there were a couple of very MINOR things that they could improve on...)

Pros:
Room was very clean
Room appliances and furniture are in excellent condition (except one reclining seat, which seemed old)
We booked a 1 bedroom queen suite- and the bed was very comfortable
Clean and new linens
Bathroom was in excellent condition
Dishes and fridge was clean
Wi-Fi was provided for free
Two televisions (one in living room, one in bedroom)
Ample storage space (drawers, cabinets, closets)
Roomy bathroom
Roomy suite over all
Working station was very large and clean as well
Stovetop was new (electric) along with ALL appliances
Quiet (except for some loud visitors on Saturday night)
FREE laundry machine service for all guests (although I didn't use it, so I can't really say much more)
Honor system for snack foods, drinks, toiletries (amazing, I've never seen this in a hotel, so this says a lot about them!)

Cons:
The AC barely worked in the bedroom...the main vent was in the living room. To get any air in the bedroom we had to leave the bedroom door open all night- and it was still reallllly hot. So I had to set the AC to 60 degrees..and my husband did not appreciate that because he said it felt like a walk in freezer every time he stepped out of the bedroom

The ventilation system in the bathroom....very weak, so the muggy smell can overpower the bathroom at times

The couch was a bit old, and I would not feel comfortable asking a friend or family member to use the pullout bed...it looked kind of run down.But if you don't plan on using the pullout, it doesn't matter because the bed is in great condition.

Room Tip: Book a suite. We were unable to dine at any Thai or Chinese place on Sunday because apparently man...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was there for a short weekend stay. This hotel was in a very good location with easy access to the interstate and close to venues I was attending and eateries. It was also quietly situated in a wooded area and the pond was very nice.
It was a very clean unit with everything I needed. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The upgraded furniture, bed and linens made it feel like home away from home. The only negative was the ice cubes from the ice maker tasted bad even though they were freshly made. Also, a pool or hot tub would've been nice and if I had the kids with me or been staying longer I would've chosen a place that provided this. Overall, it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay. Nice location and very pet friendly. Furniture was a little worn but the room was very clean and stocked with typical amenities. Great value for the price. Location was nice and fairly close to fast foods, shopping and the Coliseum.

• Stayed: April 2013
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

PastorHugh, thank you for giving feedback about your stay with us! I am glad to see that you enjoyed your visit & noticed the hotel being very pet friendly. Pets are like family to us here at Candlewood Suites. I am sorry about the condition of the furniture in your suite, we are currently in the process of replacing all recliners and hope you will stay with us again next time you visit the Hampton area.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while on business, and must say, for a slightly older hotel, this place is kept up with. The front desk was welcoming, rooms were clean, and linens were so soft. Plenty of desk space to do some work, and not feel cramped. The kitchen has a very modern feel, all black appliances, nice countertops. Everyone that I encountered seemed to be so nice, always saying hello with a smile, and making sure I didn't need anything. I will recommend this hotel to colleagues and friends, and will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Leo4life

Leo4life, thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience with us. We take pride in the cleanlinest of our hotel. I will make sure to pass your compliments to the staff. We are please to see that you were satisfied with the renovations that have occured in the last year, and appreciate you referring us to your colleagues. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for your positive feedback.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed in the Candlewood Suites for 2 weeks whilst visiting Hampton (from the UK) for work purposes, and I also stayed there in 2012 for 3 weeks. It is perfect for such stays: clean, large rooms with more-than-adequate facilities, reasonably fast internet, comfortable bed, etc. Other facilities also just right, and it was great to have a running track around the golf course right across the street. Convenient for work, shops, restaurants and the I64 freeway for traveling further afield. Friendly, helpful staff helps make a hotel stay feel more homely.
Only 1 suggestion: recycling receptacles would be good for people making use of the self-catering facilities in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark L
CWSHPT, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you Mark L for staying with us ! We love to hear when our guest have a great experience. I have shared your comments with the team. We just updated our wireless internet today for a even faster internet.