“I cannot believe this hotel is #2 on trip advisor”

Candlewood Suites - Hampton
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel has low ceilings and that means it's LOUD. I had an all-day training on Saturday and got zero sleep listening to stomping over my head and screaming kids. The pillows and bed were lumpy and uncomfortable. The bed and the bathroom floor and tub had hair in them. The towels hanging in the bathroom were very dirty. The hotel made an attempt to upgrade with new kitchen and bathroom cabinets, but honestly it needs a good deal more than that. There are no amenities in this hotel at all. I couldn't figure out the AC system, so I couldn't get comfortable all night. The room had an overall musty smell that caused my asthma to flare up so I coughed a lot. My chair had tears in it. Admittedly, I did not contact the hotel staff about these concerns, so I cannot comment on how they would have reacted. But overall this was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. I only picked it because it was rated #2 on trip advisor. I would not recommend this hotel or ever stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear shulamite1969,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have enjoyed the majority of my stay but my biggest beef with this place is how they treat you when you go to the cupboard. For those of you who don't know, it is a little store, in the same room as the laundry on one side, and the gym on the other.

I wash clothes early in the morning. The laundry is in the same room as the cupboard. Candlewood has this honesty policy, where they depend on you to list what you take, or place money in the slot. I was followed into the laundry room.cupboard every single time I was in the laundry. I hate when someone follows me and treats me like a criminal. The hotel worker followed me into the room, and stood in the back of the room to see what I was doing. She pretended to move some items around in teh refrigerator, but was really just there to see what I was doing. This happened EVERY SINGLE TIME I washed clothes.

If I left my room to get something out of the cupboard, the front desk staff would leave their post, and come in the room, and stand in the cupboard acting like they were looking for something to drink for themselves, but instead, they were really just there to make sure I paid. This happened EVERY TIME I LEFT MY ROOM TO GO TO THE CUPBOARD. Not a coincidence.

While I was in the room to wash clothes, if I stayed in there and SAT AT THE TABLE THAT THEY PROVIDED, while my clothes were washing or drying, I have had staff pace outside the door looking in to see what I am doing.

Since I never want to make unwarranted accusations, I put the little detectives to a test. When the hotel staff followed me into the cupboard one day, I went left and went into the gym, and left her in the cupboard. She did nothing, but pace back and forth to the front of the cupboard, so she could see what I was doing in the gym If she really had personal business in the cupboard, she would have gathered her items, and left. Instead, she was just there to watch me, and see what I am doing.

i am not a criminal, never stole one thing, have three degrees, two professional licenses, and don't appreciate how they are treating me. It does not matter how many degrees I have, I pay a hell of a lot to stay here, and don't like it one bit, when I am treated as if I am a criminal.

I was not going to say anything, but too much is just too much. They need to do better. If it is too expensive, invest in a traditional vending machine, to make sure you get your money. But if you choose to have the honor system, then don't treat folks as if they are criminals. It is bad for business.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Tess M,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I travel all over the state for my job and this hotel was great. Had all the things I look for when I have to stay away from home, comfortable atmosphere, a nice little workout room, polite and friendly staff! So glad to have found a place I feel safe and comfortable when having to stay away from home!!! Since it's an extended stay hotel, there is a full size fridge and dishes/etc for your convenience. Will be back monthly until the end of 2012!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tetch7
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay in this facility a few times over the past couple years and found their service, quality and facility consistently very good. The staff is always quick to respond to your needs and requests, often going above and beyond what is needed. I particularly appreciate the laundry facilities which makes the visit more comfortable. That housekeeping is provided once a week is not a problem for me. The hotel will provide you with clean towels upon request and frankly, I am capable of making my own bed. This facility does not provide the dining room experience which would make the place excellent. Business travelers, guests visiting the area and families with members at Sentera Hospital (2 miles distance) will find this facility an excellent value. I would stay here again should the need arise.

Room Tip: Be aware of the exercise/laundry/pantry room, especially if you are light sleeper or in need of quie...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Good hotel if ou plan on going to Hampton. Housekeeping is only once a week but I do not like to get housekeeping everyday. The hotel is in a quiet area of Hampton with walking trails, but convenient to the convention center. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Nice cook-out area behind the hotel. The only issue I have with this hotel is that I think it is overpriced.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were planning to stay for 3 days at Hampton so we had found Candlewood Suites on tripadvisor. Our plans changed so we cancelled 2 of those days to go on to Williamsburg and found another location to stay. After we arrived at Candlewood Suites we wish we would have stayed there the whole time. It was the best hotel we have been in a long time. It was like home away from home. The staff was very courteous and friendly. We would stay there again and look for another Candlewood Suite wherever we go.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rick and Faith M
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed at Candlewood for 8 nights. Very pleasing visit. The Cupboard prices are a bit excessive, but what you would expect for a hotel. Laundry site was free to use, very clean laundry room. Bring or buy a small amount of laundry detergent. $1.50 for soap per load. I was with 2 children (3 and 7) The room was just the right size for the three of us. 2 stovetop burners fit our needs for supper and lunch. The hotel was tucked away from the noise and hustle of Hampton Roads. It fit nicely surrounded by trees. Made for a very quiet stay. Hotel is just 3 min from the interstate. Staff was very helpful and mindful of all our needs. The were all polite, including the cleaning staff! A very pleasant visit. I expect that this is where I will choose to stay again when I visit Hampton Roads again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo