“Not a family resort”

Candlewood Suites - Hampton
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed for three nights in July for a business trip. Room was clean and had a great layout for extended stay purposes. Housekeeping is only available every 7th day, so you need to plan for that. Staff was nice and accommodating. Most of the other guests are construction workers and the evenings are their unwind times. Smell of cigarette smoke in the hall was pretty common then. Free laundry was nice. Good place if this is what you need. If you are looking for a cheap hotel near Williamsburg then, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011
CWSHPT, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for giving us feedback on your stay here at Candlewood Suites Hampton VA. We currently our undergoing renovations of our rooms and will be 100% smoke free hotel. Bathrooms are being redone as well as new furniture in our guest rooms. We would like for you to give us another try. We value your business and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed June 2, 2011

Stayed 5/31/11 and 6/1/11 - location was kind of out of the way from restaurants. Not any shade in parking lot for car (intense heat these days). No batteries in remote; new batteries found and replaced immediately. Dishwasher in room had dirty dishes in it. Trash can in bathroom wasnt emptied. Drapes too close to A/C; would blow up and out when A/C was on, thus restricting TV view from recliner. Only paid $80 a night, so we got what we paid for. Probably won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Need map; GPS not helpful.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed over a period of 5+ weeks for medical treatment. The people at the desk were extremely friendly and helpful, but didn't intrude. Even the housekeeping and maintenance staff gave friendly greetings and were also very helpful.
The room and surroundings were clean and pleasant, with a very adequate kitchen and sitting area. I had my large dog with me, and we enjoyed many walks along a pretty pond. I felt comfortable taking the dog out, even fairly late at night.
Explain your needs, and the staff will try to meet them. For example, my dog is elderly and walks with difficulty, so I was given a room near an outside exit to take him out more easily.

Room Tip: The rear rooms have a lovely view of the pond!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I am surprised by some of the negative reviews. My experience was very positive. My husband and I stayed at Candlewood for three nights. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean. The room felt new and the beds were very comfortable. I have never felt like I paid so little for a room and received so much. I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The Candlewood Suites in Hampton, Virginia is a typical extended stay. They only offer cleaning service for your room once per week, unless you request (and pay) extra. There is a kitchen unit, complete with stovetop, microwave, sink, dishwasher, full refrigerator, utensils, pots, pans, plates, glasses, etc. They also have a guest laundry which is free to use, although they sell detergent packages. The laundry, the fitness center, and a small sundry store are all located side by side. You can purchase things on the honor system--you fill out a form and drop it in a slot and pay for all your items on checkout. They even loan out DVDs at the front desk because every room has a DVD player.

Overall, I would've been satisfied with my stay and would've given three stars. There was some kind of youth basketball tournament in town and there were many young boys staying in the hotel. My room was at the extreme end of the hallway and the one right beside mine was apparently filled with young boys. I did not get more than four hours sleep on any given night, due to the shouting and horsing around. I complained to the hotel staff each night for the week I stayed there. Sometimes the staff would call and it would make a difference for only a few hours. On Thursday night of my stay, I came down with a case of the flu and was trying to sleep but was kept awake until midnight. Finally, I left the hotel to go to the hospital to get treatment but told the clerk one more time that the noise in the room next door was unbearable. By the time I returned at 2am, it had quieted down.

It is absolutely inexcusable that any patron should have to put up with a weeklong barrage of noise from unmanageable children in a hotel simply because the chaperones and the hotel staff could not keep them calmed down. If I had repeatedly made that much noise in a hotel, I would've been promptly asked to leave the hotel. I have deducted a full point from the hotel because the staff refused to move or throw out the noisy neighbors next door, and made no efforts to give me some relief on my bill.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Booked our room online ..traveled 8 hours and 2 hour before we got there I called and the rude man told us we had no room because of a pet... and they take pets...when we pulled in at 2am only a few cars in the parking lot..can;t tell me that all those people had dogs and were on the first floor cuz that floor is just for people with dogs!So needless to say we slept in our car! Rude Don Not stay!!!!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed at the Candlewood Suites on for one night in a 1BR suite - we had spent a very long day at Busch Gardens and were exhausted. We came in at about 10 p.m. and our key was already prepared and ready to go. The clerk was VERY nice and friendly. I cannot rave enough about the availability of the honor system store! We were able to get food at 10:30 at night and heat it up in the full kitchen, and my son loved being able to go down to the store in the morning to get a snack before breakfast. Prices were extremely reasonable - e.g., frozen dinners for $3.50, sodas for $.50. The room was well-equipped, particularly the kitchen, though housekeeping left a little to be desired - no sheets/pillows for the sofa bed (we asked for them at the desk and got them immediately) and, strangely enough, no shower curtain! We hung an extra bed sheet over the bar and it was fine - we did not want to mess with getting one from the desk and having to hang it ourselves. All in all, a great value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family