“Try Hibachi!”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Hampton, Virginia
“Try Hibachi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

On a previous dinning out we tried Fusions Sushi. We were dissapointed and decided to come back and try hibachi. Definitely the better choice. The chef displayed nice skills and the food was very good.

• Visited November 2011

Yorktown, Virginia
“Good, but needs work.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

We tried this place because we bought a deal from living social. The place is nice and trendy. It has very modern decor. I didn't see the hibachi side since we ate at the sushi tables.

The booths are uncomfortable, but no big deal. Our waitress was a little loopy, but nice.

We ordered goat cheese for an appetizer, sizzling duck, and sushi. The goat cheese was NOT goat cheese. Hubby and I have eaten lots of goat cheese from lots of places. We even buy it and make dishes with it at home, so we know what it should taste like. I swear, they served us herbed butter and tried to pass it off as goat cheese. Don't order unless you like to eat chunks of butter. We asked our waitress to take it away.

The duck, however, was amazing. My husband got it and thought it was a bit salty but I loved it and will order it if we ever go back.

The sushi was fresh and offered rather thick slices of fish. It was moderately priced and better than other sushi places in the area.

The menu was overwhelming. It is very big and random.

Not sure if we will return.

1 Thank yannazmom
Luray, Virginia
“Okay food - really uncomfortable booths.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I love Hibachi so we tried this when we visited the Penninsula. There was not an Asian worker in the place. No one person waited on our table we had 3 or 4 different people come, but very far between. The food was okay - the rice had too much egg flavor, and the shrimp had a very fishy flavor. The steak was good and the veggies were excellent. We asked for yum yum sauce and received some after a little wait, and then they brought some 20 minutes later not thinking we had already received some. It is a very unorganized restaurant.

Overall I would say it was okay. The wait staff could be better dressed (wait staff should not be wearing huge nike high tops - kind of funny but does not set a good Asain feel.)

We would not return to this restaurant if we were in the area because there were so many other restaurants to choose from.

Hope this helps!

• Visited August 2011
Yorktown, Virginia
“Yawn...same as all the others...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

OK, it has been a few months since I have visited Kenji Fusion and it will likely be a few more months before I eat there again. Both times I visited KF was during lunch time. The first time it was a free lunch paid for by out company - all of the management staff went out. Food was generally good, the service was kinda good also but nothing really exciting.

A few months later another nearby restaurant that we frequent was just packed during lunch so we walked over the KF - once again, everything was just average. I do recall walking out and we both agreed that it would be quite some time before we ever returned. Not that the meal was bad or anything, it was just not that good. Stopping in once a year would be just fine - there are countless better restaurants in the same area though.

What could they improve upon - everything. The guy that cooks your food in front of you did the same tricks that you see in every other restaurant like this: flipping the egg up and catching it in his hat, making the volcano out of stacked up slices or onion, pouring flammables and burning everyone's eyebrows (just kidding). But really, nothing new, nothing great, just average...and the price was a bit high in my opinion but not that bad.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank CSZY67
Hampton, Virginia
“Great place if you get the right server”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I have been to Kenji Fusion twice: the first time was for Hibachi. We had a great time and had good food, so we returned a second time about 2 weeks later to eat Sushi.

The food was just as good as before, and I even found a wonderful new roll that I loved! However, our service was absolutely horrible the second time around. We saw our waitress ONE time - when she came to get our order. She didn't take our drink order, we got that from the helper/busboys. Our food was brought by another helper. Our dishes were removed by the helper. We asked the busboys for refills on our waters. When we were done and waiting for the check, we waited 20 minutes, looking everywhere for our waitress, never finding her. I finally walked up to the hostess stand to ask for our check. We actually paid the hostess for our meal.

Obviously, we did not leave a tip...who would the tip have gone to? I feel bad for the helpers/busboys, as they seem to do all the work while the waitresses get all the credit...

Overall, I think I would visit Kenji Fusion again, but only for the hibachi side of things. If you want great sushi AND great service, I'd rather go to Hayashi's.

• Visited April 2011