“Is that thing really an appetizer?”
Review of Outback Steakhouse

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Outback Steakhouse
Ranked #52 of 305 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Ordered one of those blooming onions, even though I didn't want to....friends sort of got me to go for it. It was one of the most horrible things I have ever tasted. It's just flat awful. Full of grease! It's a heart attack waiting to pounce. There should be a hazardous to your health sign on the menu next to that thing. Horrible.

There are newer reviews for Outback Steakhouse

Reviewed November 20, 2013

First, the waiter wanted ID for wine and beer. We are both in our mid 60s and look it. The assistant manager said that should be a compliment. What? The service was the worst I have seen in any restaurant in Hampton Roads in the past 25 years. The well done sirloin for my wife was absolutely burnt piece of leather. It took the waiter over 15 minutes just to bring tea and water to the table. The bread arrives after 30 minutes. Of course the salad and entrees come at the same time after 60 minutes of waiting. They were busy, but not that busy. Just a plain terrible experience from Management, Chef, to the Waiter. Never will go back to this outback.

1  Thank ed c
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had seen the lobster and filet ad on TV along with the veteran's day offers and military (10%) discount, so we figured we'd give it a try. From the beginning, service was good -- pleasant, efficient, cordial and helpful. Within a few minutes, it became clear the TV offers were a hook to try to get you in the door and upsell a "better", costlier cut of meat. The server had no knowledge of the TV ad or the mil discount offer and we never got it. Not a big deal -- a couple of dollars. The beef cuts were smaller than we anticipated (based on what other area venues provide for 9 oz and 12 oz orders) and were very heavily salted. My wife's lobster was absolutely undercooked -- raw in some parts -- and her side order was missing. It was taken back and cooked in an oven which I believe may have been on loan from Chernobyl. Overcooked, dry and crusty. Even worse, it, too, was heavily salted when it came back out. (Perhaps the chef overcooked it and thought it was beef when he saw it!) Anyway, when she tasted it, she winced a bit and then tried a second small bite and cringed and asked me to take a taste. It was saltier than the beef. I want to be clear -- only once in our entire 17 years together have we ever asked for something to be taken back. We are not whiners. The server asked if it was better and we told him it was really salty. He called the manager over. I explained the situation regarding the heavy-handed salting of the beef and the lobster and he said he would "talk to the chef". Our server brought over a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce for my wife to offset the salty taste. When the bill came, we tipped the waiter our customary 20%, I noticed there was no mil discount or other adjustment to the bill, and I made a mental note to look around one last time as we have no intention of ever returning to this place.

1  Thank duffpilot
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We visited this restaurant a few times during the past few months and the thing I most remember from it is the current Endless Shrimp special that we tried out recently. Of the 3 flavors of shrimp available, we both liked the Shrimp Scampi the best. Our waitress was nice and attentive such that she anticipated when we would be ready for more shrimp. Needless to say, we had our fill of shrimp that night. The sirlion steak and grilled chicken that were the main part of our meals were also good too.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We visited for dinner to celebrate a family birthday. All the wait staff was attentive and helping each other. Food and drinks came quickly, and was as expected for a national chain. Owner, Steve, was working the tables making sure that guests were happy with the food and the service. We had a pleasant meal. They provided a complimentary dessert for the birthday boy. We will go back.