“New, clean hotel with friendly front-desk staff”

Hampton Inn Hampton-Newport News
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed November 22, 2010

This was my second stay at this Hampton Inn, and both have been pleasant experiences. The rooms and facilities are always clean, and the front desk personnel were helpful. I had to change my plans at the last minute (twice), but they accomodated me with no problem. Breakfast is the usual Hampton fare. The fitness center is small, but in good working order.

The bed was comfortable. The pillows seemed to all be the same, and I had trouble finding that "perfect" firmness. I slept well, nonetheless.

The location is fairly quiet in the evenings. It is right on a main road (Coliseum Dr) across from a hospital. I didn't notice the traffic noise from my room, but I was on the side away from the street. There are not restaurants within easy walking distance, but there are a plethora within 5 min drive.

The only negative experience was from the maintenance guy, who seemed to be lacking people skills. I assume he was testing some TV remotes. While I was in the fitness room working with dumbbells and watching TV, he came in twice in the span of 5 minutes changed the channel a couple of times, then walked out without speaking or returning it to the original channel. Wierd!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank BigTxDaddy

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Made my reservations months in advance. Like the other reviewer, there was only one person working while the rest of the staff stood around. Staff had a bad attitude and seemed perturbed as customers were also calling in to get directions to their hotel. I was exhausted after the wait in line and from the drive so I just went to me room and crashed. I actually needed two beds but accepted the one for that night. With vacant rooms available, I attempted to change my room to two beds. I agreed to pay the upgrade fee with no problem. The lady at the front desk did not appear to be very knowledgeable of the computer. She ended up calling a manager who told her she could not upgrade me because I had a room that was part of a group. I could see that this would have been a problem if there were no vacancies. I found their policy to be illogical and inflexible. Had I known staying at a measly $20 discounted rate would change my ability to be satisfied, I would have just booked it with my aaa discount rate. I will not use this chain again

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank amcfulton
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My gf and I stayed here for one night in mid-August 2010. Our room was on the fourth floor.

I have some issues with this place. Though nothing merited a demand for a free room (their “satisfaction guaranteed” policy), there were enough things wrong that I was annoyed.

- The toilet handle “sticks” half-way. This makes the toilet fill, flush, fill, flush indefinitely. Jiggling the handle makes it stop.
- A previous occupant wrote words on the bathroom mirror when it was steamy. These words show up when the mirror fogs. It’s kind of startling when you step out of the shower—which maybe to the previous occupant was part of the joke.
- The smoke detector over the bed has two little red lights that flash, intermittently. I woke up in the middle of the night, as I do sometimes. When this happens I lay awake with my eyes open and think about things to do when day comes. The flashing lights were not helpful.
- The shower water in the morning is warm, not hot. Plenty of hot water at night though.

I could have complained to the management, but I figured that with this many issues, they probably have heard complaints before. And the issues remain. So maybe if management reads it on tripadvisor, where others can read it also, they’ll do something.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Johnny35
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Checked in to a very enthusiastic, warm welcome. Front desk associate recognized my Diamond status and courtesy called the room within 30 minutes. Lobby and common areas were very clean. The state of housekeeping in my room left a little to be desired--trash had not been emptied. I did not get complimentary water either. Internet service, though free, was painfully, painfully slow. Moreover this particular Hampton Inn is on the outer edge of comfortable walking distance to the nearest restaurant--Applebee's. Additional restaurants, malls, Hooters are much farther down the road on Coliseum Drive.

Now, with all the negatives out of the way, this Hampton Property is very new. The General Manager is very friendly and striving hard to provide a good facility. Breakfast and all the other amenities are standard Hampton Inn, which is tough to beat (and at the top of its class) at the rate of $80 per night.

I will willingly stay here again if I have the opportunity.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank MacVol
Reviewed March 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night en route to another trip. I am a hilton honors member and and I stay in many of their properties. The king room was well appointed-brand new and very clean. The bathroom was huge and the shower was great. We had to leave early the next morning for our next destination so we did take the "bagged breakfast." It was just fine.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MsKayeBee
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We stayed at this Hampton Inn for three nights during our recent holiday in the US. We thought the hotel was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was built around a year ago. The rooms were nicely decorated, and the beds were very comfortable. The wifi internet worked well. They also provided a cushioned laptop tray which we found very useful. The staff were friendly and helpful. Good location, near plenty of restaurants and shops. We found it a good base for visiting the Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Virginia Beach areas. The breakfast was fairly basic, although I felt it was a shame that it was served up on polystyrene plates. Complimentary coffee and cookies were freely available. We would definitely stay at this hotel again if and when we are lucky enough to revisit the area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elddis
Reviewed September 15, 2009

My wife and I were visiting our Daughter and Son-in Law and taking an historic tour of the area. We wanted accommodations that were close, professional and comfortable. We had everything we could ask for. The staff went out of their way to help with every need, from luggage to the complimentary breakfast, which provided an assortment of delectable entrees.
When we needed assistance in printing out boarding passes for our flights the manager offered his office as the business center was in use. We will be visiting the area in the future and we wouldn't hesitate to use this Inn again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple