“Going to Seed - Beware”

Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Denver Colorado
“Going to Seed - Beware”
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Pros - Cheerfully decorated, bright room with a nice view of the boats tied up to the marina. Wonderful restaurant staff and good breakfast eggs at the buffet. Halfway between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.

Cons - During a three night stay in room 325 (8/10-13) each morning we noticed other guests' room service trays on the floor, left out for the staff to remove. On two out of three nights, when we returned 8 or 10 hours later, the moldering food was still there on the floor. Not a good sign. Then we had lots of problems in the bathroom: The seat came off the toilet five minutes after we arrived, and we fixed that ourselves. The shower dripped rapidly the whole time. The drain in the only sink was very slow. We decided to let all this go. However, the drain in the shower was so clogged that after a three minute shower, we were standing over our ankles in water.

So...at 11 am on our second day, we called the front desk, and they said maintenance would fix the shower and the sink. We left for the day, returned at 4 pm and nothing had been touched. We called again, and the desk said they couldn't find our request. We asked to speak to the manager, and were told that everyone was in a meeting, and no manager or person in charge was available. We said we would expect something to be taken off our bill, and to please convey our dismay to the manager. The bill was slipped under our door the next morning, but no charges were removed. By this point we weren't surprised. We decided not to raise our blood pressure with a fight about it.

The lack of care for this facility is a shame, because it really could be a pretty hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this review, November 8, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We apologize for the shortfall you experienced during your recent stay with us. We have taken note of your comments and will use them to improve the quality of service we offer to our guest. Rest assured, we will address this and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We appreciate your nice comments. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stayed here for Father's Day weekend with my husband and two kids (ages 9 and 11). The hotel has been fully remodeled with a nautical theme. The room was spacious and immaculate. The bathroom was large and fully stocked with plenty of towels And toiletries. The staff was superb and even allowed all for of us to enjoy a free breakfast at the hotel restaurant, when we were technically only entitled to two free meals. The breakfast was perfect--all you can eat and REAL food (fresh OJ, fruit, pancakes, French toast, bacon, etc).

The hotel is right next door to the Hampton Air and Space museum, which had a "Dads Free" day. We ended up strolling over there and enjoying a few hours. We then took in the nice view of the marina.

The hotel is in a perfect location. Quiet and low key. Will definitely take another trip there!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Cartagenas17
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share them with the management and staff. Your comments are important to us and we will use them to improve our guest service. Thank you.
Urbandale
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Booked thru Priceline and got a harbor view room for $64/night. Great price I thought - they do have a nice sized pool on the roof of the 2nd floor with a nice sized deck and an exercise room. Parking is in a garage about 50 ft from the entrance and is free to guests. The entrance to the hotel is pretty and updated, rooms are a little different. Some of the bathroom had been updated such as the vanity but the shower could use a little help as well as the ceiling in the bathroom. The shower head wasn't attached to the wall so it kept coming out and the electrical outlet faceplates were loose as well. For the price I would stay again, however for full price I would not. All staff did seem very friendly and helpful. No complimentary breakfast included.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We will be sure to share your comments with our staff. We are glad to hear you had a great stay! Thanks again.
Joppa, MD
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My 18 year old and I stayed at this hotel while we attended Old Dominion preview orientation activities. I read the reviews on Priceline and decided to take a chance, seeing as how I'm a businessowner in the hospitality industry. What I immediately liked about this hotel was the extremely warm and friendly reception I got at the front desk. Everybody was attentive to us checking in and making sure we were comfortable.

The room was bright and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and clean. Everything was near-perfect. I had an issue with my shower door, though. We left at 7:30am and didn't return til about 9:15pm. We got to the room and the shower door was 90% off the track/hinges. I went downstairs to let the staff know that I needed maintenance to come up to fix it. I was assured that they would be notified. I went into the bar while my daughter was upstairs. I called her several times to see if they had been up and she said no. So, I took a picture the next morning and presented it to the manager (Sandra), because this was unacceptable and she agreed. She immediately removed my extra charges from my bill (room service and restaurant) and apologized for the oversight. I appreciated her promptness sincerity.

The only small drawback is the parking garage: it's not attached to the hotel at all. It's a short walk across the courtyard. However, parking was FREE, so I didn't mind at all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 1classydiva
Thank you for choosing our hotel and writing a review of our hotel.
We will be sure to share your comments with our staff here at the hotel. We wish you safe travels and we look forward to your next visit. Thanks again.
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Made reservations for 5 nights. Arrived 11:00pm. Parties in full swing. Tired after long car trip. Despite guaranteed reservation, no room available. They didn't already have a plan. Once I arrived they started calling other hotels in the area. Eventually found one with 2 queens. (Clerk seemed annoyed that I did not want a king room for family of four at the Hilton Garden he "found" for us.). My parting comment was related to the rest of our vacation. We had picked because of convenience and location. The female front desk assured me she would block a room for us and even upgrade us.

The next evening (after 100 degree heat sightseeing with 2 kids), we go to check in at 6pm and "only king rooms are clean." The same front desk employee from previous night was again clueless and offering us a king room -- this time at his hotel. We called back 1 hour later and still no clean rooms. This time we had to call around to find a replacement hotel. What a fun thing to do with tired kids on vacation. I was told I could have left a message on the director of room's voicemail. Not much help that time of night.

For us, things worked out well at another hotel, but it made me irritated that they could not handle reservations and have likely lost us as customer when we return to the area.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Imaginationsc
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This hotel has a very nice lobby, nicely furnished rooms with comfy beds, and a view of the water, boats, and harbor. The buffet breakfast was about average for this chain. The parking is a bit annoying, as you have to park in a garage adjacent to the hotel using your hotel keycard to get in and out, but it is not attached, so if it's raining you'll get wet walking to and from. Many military folks on government travel seem to use this hotel, and they can be a bit noisy at times, but when I complained to management about the noise they did quiet down. The fitness room equipment could use some sprucing up but it is adequate. I would stay here again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank boohootravelertoo
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I had originally planned to stay at the La Quinta in Williamsburg where we were going to pay $88/night. When the plans got canceled in Wburg, we decided to stay in a more central location and found the Crowne Plaza for $99/night through hotels.com. We're definitely glad we made the switch. The hotel is centrally located in the Norfolk region making it a good place to stay if you plan to explore the many surrounding areas. Check in was quick and efficient and the staff was very friendly. Booking through a discount site, you often get a room in a bad location, but we were given a room on the 7th floor with good views of the marina below. I'm very picky when it comes to cleanliness and the room was spotless, modern, and comfortable and despite being near the elevator, we couldn't hear much outside the room. The pool area was basic and the water was a bit chilly, but still clean and towels were available poolside.

Not complaints, but just a few notes: The parking garage is not attached to the hotel, but located across a small courtyard. If it was raining or you had a lot to carry, it could be a bit annoying. Our room only came equipped with a shower, no tub. Not a problem for us though but could be an issue for those who like to have tubs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samster77
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share them with the staff. Your comments are important to us and we will use them to improve our efforts and guest service. Thank you.