Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina
$189
$126
$117
Agoda.com
All reviewsnautical themeparking garageair and space museumoystersoutdoor restaurantcorner roomfront desk staffvirginia beachomeletregattacollege
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Had king size room with view of the space museum, sink in bathroom broken (attempt by hotel to repair was silicon ) still leaked! Just appeared that a makeover is needed. Sill though, the staff was nice good service at bar and patio! Still working on over charge on credit card. Don't understand but manager supposed to call?

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere
apology. Though we would have preferred you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts.If you would like to discuss this in person, please feel free to contact me directly at any time.Thank you.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed here July 25-27. I am a rewards member and got free breakfast for both days. The staff was awesome, they were helpful, attentive and friendly. The hotel is dated, but it was clean. I stayed in room 523 and we had an awesome view! I will definitely visit again. Great for couples. Walls are thin, but didn't bother me. The bed was great! Slept like a baby :-)
Definitely get a marina view!!! Worth it.

Room Tip: Pick a marina view. Loves room 523
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank huzuri
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2014

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Member and for choosing our hotel. We are happy to hear you found our staff to be awesome, helpful. attentive and friendly as well as clean.
We will be sure to share your review with our team here at the hotel and we look forward to your next visit! Thanks again!

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We returned to Tidewater on a mission to sort out our childhood home prior to an estate sale, dreading the ordeal with mixed emotions. Our stay at Crowne Plaza was an unexpected refuge from the chaos we faced during the day working through attics & closets: the staff could not have been more generous - giving us the "Bridal Suite" (which my siblings & I made great fun over) and anticipated every need before a request was made. We will always remember their kindness in making a difficult week a delightful adventure that we could never have imagined!

Room Tip: The staff was exceptionally accomodating in our room requests, higher floors present excellent views and if you can get a view of the harbour even better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank pleatrav2013

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear you found our staff exceptional. We will be sure to share your comments with our staff here at the hotel. We wish you safe travels and we look forward to your next visit. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I love this place. I've been here three times and each one has been fantastic. The staff have always been friendly, even the maintenance people. I honestly do not understand why people complain about the cleanliness. All three times that I've been here, my room was always clean, and I've stayed on different floors each time. This means that I've had different cleaners each time, and I've never had a problem.

The food is excellent. I have never had a bad meal there. I highly recommend the ribeye steak dinner.

The only reason that I gave it a four star instead of a five is because there needs to be some updating on the rooms; the bathrooms in particular. I have noticed improvements since the first time I stayed here. They really are trying to fix things that were neglected before.

I want to add that the rooms with the marina views are breathtaking. Well worth any extra cost to get one.

Room Tip: Go for the marina view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are happy to hear that you find our hotel “ Fantastic “ and the staff to be friendly and the hotel to be clean. Our Chef will be happy to hear you found the food to be excellent! Thank you for your comments as well about our breathtaking marina views.
We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I had a week long road trip vacation and had booked three nights at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina. We had already stayed at a couple different Holiday Inns prior to arriving here and had and had nice stays but I was looking forward to a nice Crowne Plaza experience. Arriving at check-in, I was greeted by a very pleasant, personable and smiling guest services representative named Yahnnica. She offered a genuine smile and also a genuine thanks for being a IHG platinum member. She asked if she could take a moment to see if she could find any potential upgrade opportunities. She said she was trying to find one the larger rooms as all the suites were booked for the weekend. I asked if they had the quiet floor that many Crowne plazas offer and she found a nice room on the quiet floor. I thought to myself what a great start to a new hotel I had never been to before. Little did I know this was the highlight of my visit here? Evidently the concierge and bell hop were busy as there was no help to be found. I grabbed a hotel luggage cart, loaded our stuff on it and my wife and I wheeled our luggage up to our room. The room was a nice size with nice view out over the water in the Marina and also overlooked the 8 story parking deck. The room appeared clean but showed signs of being worn. The corner beads on the drywall had paint scraped off, and there are areas on the carpet that had been cut to facilitate wiring but no molding or anything was done around the cuts in the carpet. It was a very poor finishing job on the carpet.
The flatscreen TV had a lousy picture. Two of the three drawers on the dresser would not close all the way once opened. The wi-fi was next to impossible to connect. I had to bring my laptop into the hall to get a good signal to sign on. This room did not have a tub but rather a shower stall which had a numerous dried towel or face cloth threads/shreds on the tile floor. The shower floor did not drain properly leaving a standing pool of cold water where one would enter and have to step into cold water while entering the shower. Housekeeping had also left two tubes of hair conditioner but no shampoo, but I did not discover that until the middle of my shower. After our first night, housekeeping came and did not bother to replace the dirty drinking glasses that were used nor did they replace the empty box of tissues in the bathroom even though my wife had taken the empty cardboard box out of the tissue holder so the maid would know it needed to be replaced. Strangely, I had the same exact thing where tissues were not replaced at one of my previous Crowne Plazas stays. Before leaving that morning, I had stopped at the front desk that morning and asked for shampoo to be left, and the maid left four tubes of shampoo right next to the empty box of tissues.

Yes, these really are just a bunch of small annoyances but I just don’t expect them at a Crowne Plaza. The bed was comfortable and the linens nice, but the room was not as quiet as I had hoped. I heard families checking in late at night and despite being on the quiet floor (supposed to be no families Sun- Thur on the quiet floor) it is sad that some folks still do not know how to show a hotel door quietly but rather they seem to let it slam.

We ate in the hotel restaurant the next morning for breakfast and I ordered a regular breakfast rather than the breakfast buffet. The waitress quickly informed me that there was only one chef on duty and she was busy cooking on the buffet so my breakfast would take longer than normal and she wanted me to be aware. I preferred not to eat at buffets as I personally don’t care for the lack of sanitary conditions that some folks and children display when visiting the buffet tables. I prefer my breakfast fresh and hot from the kitchen. Much to my surprise, after waiting about 25 minutes, I watched as our waitress went to the buffet, grabbed a couple of plates and then put the bacon and potatoes from the buffet on the plates and then went to the chef cooking eggs at the buffet. Evidently, despite my efforts to do otherwise, while not 100% sure, I think I ended up eating food from the buffet. Simply put, I was very disappointed.

After breakfast, my wife and I went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for the entire day. It was fun but not as enjoyable as Busch Gardens Tampa. Coming back to the hotel early evening after long day in the sun, we were too tired to stop at a restaurant to eat, and decided to try the hotel restaurant once again for dinner. However when we walked into the lobby, much to my disappointment I saw a small letter-size sign advising the hotel restaurant was closed for a private function. There was a giant family reunion going on and they had taken many floors in the hotel, and evidently took over the restaurant as well. I sure wish there had been a notice about that posted earlier in the morning that we could’ve seen on the way out and we would’ve known to stop somewhere to grab a bite to eat that evening. Between the housekeeping and dinner I was disappointed enough I called the desk and advised them I would be the checking out the next morning which was one day early, When we checked out the next morning I must add that the ladies working the front desk at check out were extremely pleasant, apologetic and courteous. I should mention, that surprisingly, the parking in the parking garage was free.

I have visited three Crowne Plaza’s in the last four months and this one certainly came in third. Thankfully I was there on points only. Had I paid cash I would’ve been even more disappointed. What started off as a wonderful experience with the guest receptionist at check-in, evolved into a so-so experience. I have yet to receive the bonus points I was advised of at check-in. Perhaps the excellent folks that work at the front desk could teach the waitress and housekeeper that it only takes a little extra effort to take a customer’s ok experience to a great experience. Overall it is an average and acceptable hotel, but I guess I simply expect more in the level of quality when staying at a waterfront Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for floor 8, it is the "quite floor"
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank OldManBob
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Member. Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the short comings you experienced during your most recent stay. It is not a common occurrence at our hotel. We have addressed your comments with our Department Heads to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. Your comments are of great importance to us to allow us to improve our services. We thank you again and look forward to your next visit.