“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
London
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I love this place. I've been here three times and each one has been fantastic. The staff have always been friendly, even the maintenance people. I honestly do not understand why people complain about the cleanliness. All three times that I've been here, my room was always clean, and I've stayed on different floors each time. This means that I've had different cleaners each time, and I've never had a problem.

The food is excellent. I have never had a bad meal there. I highly recommend the ribeye steak dinner.

The only reason that I gave it a four star instead of a five is because there needs to be some updating on the rooms; the bathrooms in particular. I have noticed improvements since the first time I stayed here. They really are trying to fix things that were neglected before.

I want to add that the rooms with the marina views are breathtaking. Well worth any extra cost to get one.

Room Tip: Go for the marina view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this review, November 8, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are happy to hear that you find our hotel “ Fantastic “ and the staff to be friendly and the hotel to be clean. Our Chef will be happy to hear you found the food to be excellent! Thank you for your comments as well about our breathtaking marina views.
We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I had a week long road trip vacation and had booked three nights at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina. We had already stayed at a couple different Holiday Inns prior to arriving here and had and had nice stays but I was looking forward to a nice Crowne Plaza experience. Arriving at check-in, I was greeted by a very pleasant, personable and smiling guest services representative named Yahnnica. She offered a genuine smile and also a genuine thanks for being a IHG platinum member. She asked if she could take a moment to see if she could find any potential upgrade opportunities. She said she was trying to find one the larger rooms as all the suites were booked for the weekend. I asked if they had the quiet floor that many Crowne plazas offer and she found a nice room on the quiet floor. I thought to myself what a great start to a new hotel I had never been to before. Little did I know this was the highlight of my visit here? Evidently the concierge and bell hop were busy as there was no help to be found. I grabbed a hotel luggage cart, loaded our stuff on it and my wife and I wheeled our luggage up to our room. The room was a nice size with nice view out over the water in the Marina and also overlooked the 8 story parking deck. The room appeared clean but showed signs of being worn. The corner beads on the drywall had paint scraped off, and there are areas on the carpet that had been cut to facilitate wiring but no molding or anything was done around the cuts in the carpet. It was a very poor finishing job on the carpet.
The flatscreen TV had a lousy picture. Two of the three drawers on the dresser would not close all the way once opened. The wi-fi was next to impossible to connect. I had to bring my laptop into the hall to get a good signal to sign on. This room did not have a tub but rather a shower stall which had a numerous dried towel or face cloth threads/shreds on the tile floor. The shower floor did not drain properly leaving a standing pool of cold water where one would enter and have to step into cold water while entering the shower. Housekeeping had also left two tubes of hair conditioner but no shampoo, but I did not discover that until the middle of my shower. After our first night, housekeeping came and did not bother to replace the dirty drinking glasses that were used nor did they replace the empty box of tissues in the bathroom even though my wife had taken the empty cardboard box out of the tissue holder so the maid would know it needed to be replaced. Strangely, I had the same exact thing where tissues were not replaced at one of my previous Crowne Plazas stays. Before leaving that morning, I had stopped at the front desk that morning and asked for shampoo to be left, and the maid left four tubes of shampoo right next to the empty box of tissues.

Yes, these really are just a bunch of small annoyances but I just don’t expect them at a Crowne Plaza. The bed was comfortable and the linens nice, but the room was not as quiet as I had hoped. I heard families checking in late at night and despite being on the quiet floor (supposed to be no families Sun- Thur on the quiet floor) it is sad that some folks still do not know how to show a hotel door quietly but rather they seem to let it slam.

We ate in the hotel restaurant the next morning for breakfast and I ordered a regular breakfast rather than the breakfast buffet. The waitress quickly informed me that there was only one chef on duty and she was busy cooking on the buffet so my breakfast would take longer than normal and she wanted me to be aware. I preferred not to eat at buffets as I personally don’t care for the lack of sanitary conditions that some folks and children display when visiting the buffet tables. I prefer my breakfast fresh and hot from the kitchen. Much to my surprise, after waiting about 25 minutes, I watched as our waitress went to the buffet, grabbed a couple of plates and then put the bacon and potatoes from the buffet on the plates and then went to the chef cooking eggs at the buffet. Evidently, despite my efforts to do otherwise, while not 100% sure, I think I ended up eating food from the buffet. Simply put, I was very disappointed.

After breakfast, my wife and I went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for the entire day. It was fun but not as enjoyable as Busch Gardens Tampa. Coming back to the hotel early evening after long day in the sun, we were too tired to stop at a restaurant to eat, and decided to try the hotel restaurant once again for dinner. However when we walked into the lobby, much to my disappointment I saw a small letter-size sign advising the hotel restaurant was closed for a private function. There was a giant family reunion going on and they had taken many floors in the hotel, and evidently took over the restaurant as well. I sure wish there had been a notice about that posted earlier in the morning that we could’ve seen on the way out and we would’ve known to stop somewhere to grab a bite to eat that evening. Between the housekeeping and dinner I was disappointed enough I called the desk and advised them I would be the checking out the next morning which was one day early, When we checked out the next morning I must add that the ladies working the front desk at check out were extremely pleasant, apologetic and courteous. I should mention, that surprisingly, the parking in the parking garage was free.

I have visited three Crowne Plaza’s in the last four months and this one certainly came in third. Thankfully I was there on points only. Had I paid cash I would’ve been even more disappointed. What started off as a wonderful experience with the guest receptionist at check-in, evolved into a so-so experience. I have yet to receive the bonus points I was advised of at check-in. Perhaps the excellent folks that work at the front desk could teach the waitress and housekeeper that it only takes a little extra effort to take a customer’s ok experience to a great experience. Overall it is an average and acceptable hotel, but I guess I simply expect more in the level of quality when staying at a waterfront Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for floor 8, it is the "quite floor"
2 Thank OldManBob
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Member. Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the short comings you experienced during your most recent stay. It is not a common occurrence at our hotel. We have addressed your comments with our Department Heads to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. Your comments are of great importance to us to allow us to improve our services. We thank you again and look forward to your next visit.
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We picked this place because of the price and it was close to I-64 for getting down to Virginia Beach. Due to traffic, I would not stay here if you want to spend time going to and from the beach. As for the hotel, our room was ok. The beds were not comfortable but useable. The staff was very nice and the breakfast bar was wonderful. The pool area is beautiful and I saw staff checking the water at various times during our week long stay. I liked that you were next to the Marina so you didn't have to be cooped up in your hotel room at night. The hotel has restaurants and you are only a block away from other restaurants. I would recommend walking a block and trying Venture for dinner / drinks.

The hotel did have free parking in a garage that is in need of repairs. The stairs were closed so you had to take the elevator and it is in need of cleaning, etc.

The room did not have a fridge or a microwave so keep that in mind. No bringing back leftovers!

I wouldn't say this was a great hotel but if you are looking for something inexpensive with some good points.....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share them with the staff. Your comments are important to us and we will use them to improve our efforts. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here this last weekend for a local triathlon. Used rewards points and got a deal even on the typical number of points. So, it was an excellent "average" stay based on what I paid (very little).

Pros:
-Staff super friendly. Front desk. Housekeeping. Waitstaff. All incredibly friendly and helpful. Great experience with each and every one.
-Oyster Alley is a great little outdoor seating GEM, with live music each weekend night starting at 7pm. Reasonable prices for sandwiches (Mahi sandwich and Fried Fish sandwiches were my favorites).
-Great view from marina view rooms.
-Upgrade on rewards nights. That happens rarely in general, but only a few places are willing to upgrade when you haven't paid cash for your room. Happy to have a beautiful view for the not-super-sunny weekend.
-Decent rooms with enough floor space for an air mattress if your family needed it. We didn't, so enjoyed the comfy chair looking out over the marina.

Cons:
-Grody shower. Bathroom has seen better days, but still relatively up-to-date...but that ends when you turn around and look at the shower. Scary floor tile and a drain that doesn't...so plan on being up to your ankles in whatever was left on the floor from the last person. ick.
-uncomfy/saggy beds (I've gotten spoiled, apparently, by Hol. Inn Express and Hampton beds. Glad it was just one person per bed on this trip!
-Heard every word from the next door neighbors, including the movies they watched (and thankfully turned off at 11 pm)
-No fridge or micro...so bring or buy a cheap cooler and keep it filled with ice.
-No breakfast...This hotel is competing with Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn re: quality, and no breakfast adds to the per night cost, in my mind.

Final thoughts:
Got this for fewer reward points than the Hol Inn Express at the coliseum, so it was closer to my VERY early morning tri AND I got a great room with a nice view. Totally worth it. Would have been too early for breakfast anyway, and would have missed out on the great evenings at the outdoor cafe.

That said, the HIE looks new, is near tons of shopping and LOADS of really nice food options of all prices, plus includes breakfast. No view and a bit farther from the beach, though.

You know what you really need, so consider all of that when making your choice :) Bottom line, good people and good food are always a bonus!

Room Tip: Marina view for sure if you can get it. That's what will make this worth more than another place...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Member. Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the short comings you experienced during your most recent stay. We have addressed your comments with the ahead of Housekeeping Department to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. Your comments are of great importance to us to allow us to improve our services. We thank you.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel is located in a part of town with not much going on. We were charged $20 a day at check in IN CASE we wanted food at the commissary, which would be refunded 5-10 business days after check out. Never have had this happen before. Upon check in, no towels in room and broken toilet seat. Both remedied within 24 hours. Free morning breakfast was good with as-ordered omelets. Pool is nice, but had to request towels each day. Workout facility included 2 treadmills, a bike and 2 ellipticals. Kids were there for basketball tournament and although promised that rooms would be together, we were on 3 different floors. The hotel is fine, just nothing special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology Your comments are important to us and will help us to improve the quality and service we offer. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.
McAllen, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2014

A little surprise for a Crowne Plaza with without shuttle service and being told not to walk around the area after dark to far from the hotel. This night had lots of sport type of events - may kids were not monitored in the pool area and played games on the elevator like punching all the floors, and the adults that did monitored were more concerned with their "Cool Drinks".

Breakfast was fine

Checkout and staff was pleasant.

Room was not good AC was a large Hum sound old room staff could not accommdate

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Crowne Plaza Marina is a very nice hotel. And, sited about a mile from I-64, it is convenient to Virginia Beach if you do not want to spend $300/night for a substandard hotel room closer to the beach. The rooms are bright and well decorated; average in size for a chain hotel. The restauran offers a bar and restaurant within the complex; and they are perfectly acceptable, particularly for breakfast since the nearest Starbucks is 3 miles away!

The staff are courteous, helpful, and friendly. Parking is provided in the adjacen garage. A for the surrounding neighborhood, there is not much to it: the Virginia Air & Space Museum is across a marin; and "historic" Hampton isa two block walk and is about two blocks in length. There are some good restaurants if you -- and you should -- venture from the hotel grounds.

Room Tip: Even number rooms face the marina.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you found our staff to be courteous, helpful and friendly.
We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again!