“We have different viewpoints”

Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We checked into this hotel on a Friday afternoon for 2 nights. I am a Priority Club member and booked the hotel on the hotel's website. Check-in was easy and pleasant.

For some reason the door was hard to open - didn't quite fit right in the jamb and you had to push really hard to get it open. Not a big deal to me - just worth a mention. Once inside the room I was impressed. My first thoughts: clean and crisp. The nautical decor was nice - not over the top but just enough.

We had a king, marina view (which costs more) room. I wouldn't call this a marina view, so I called the front desk. The clerk wanted to move me to a suite, but the manager wouldn't allow it. The only other "marina view" room open was on the second floor and the clerk told me that the room I had was a better view. The hotel considers this room "marina view" - you decide for yourself.

The bed was extraordinary! It was so very comfortable that we went out and bought a memory foam mattress topper for our bed at home! The pillows were great as well. You will absolutely get the rest you need at this hotel. There was no noise from other rooms or outside to bother us.... we had a great night's sleep both nights.

The bathroom was quite nice as well, the decor just right and very clean. A big plus in my opinion is the telescoping magnified mirror. It is so helpful to have when we older gals put on our make-up! My only complaint is that the shower doors were hard to move - they just wouldn't slide - they had to be picked up sort of and helped along the track.

The amenities were awesome! from Templespa the regular amenities were as good as those I use at home- and, well - the "sleep tight" packet was incredible. I used them just as the packet suggested and it was very relaxing. The foot balm was fabulous!!! These amenities were so nice that I left a note for housekeeping to please provide us with a few more because we used up that which came with the room. After a long day of trekking around Busch Gardens I was really looking forward to a hot shower and the footbalm...unfortunately housekeeping ignored my request (and their tip reflected that).

I thought I had booked our room with free breakfast, so we both went down and ate - and was then presented with a bill for $29.95...so I went to the front desk. Tawanna looked up my reservation and advised me that I had not booked the rate with breakfast. I asked what the rate difference was - $5.00. I asked if she could just change my code and I'd pay the $5.00. She said only going forward, so I was stuck with the $29.95 bill. I asked to see the Manager, I told Tawanna that between the disappointing view and this I was really frustrated. She said to me: "You know what? You're a Priority Club member. I can GIVE you breakfast. And she did." Her courtesy made the difference between a not so great stay and a great stay. Because of this, when we return to the area in July I will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2014

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Member and writing a review of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share them with the staff. Your comments are important to us and we will use them to improve our efforts.
Thank you.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Love this place. My room was very nice and clean. The staff was very polite and helpful .There's a beautiful view. Almost perfect .Only problem i had actually was they were hosting a banquet for members of "the elks" lodge in their banquet rooms who were very loud, rude,and pushy. Watched a very nice woman named Bridgette, who i commend, take static from a guy who i think just wanted to complain and not pay for his bills. So beyond "the elks" complaining and noise making, i had a very nice stay. Sure my next visit will be a better one . Can't really blame the hotel for the guest they had staying there .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for your experience with your room and I will address your concerns to ensure that everything in the room is corrected. I hope that you give our hotel another try next time you are in our area. Thank you.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, The only good thing I can say about this hotel, it is on the water and close to the express way. Overall hotel experience need cleaning improvement. Hosted a family reunion last summer. The carpets needed a deep cleaning, I had to asked to have my bathroom to be clean upon checking into my hotel. The banquet food was over cooked. I had the bake chicken (dry). carrots (cold) bread ( hard). desert was decent. The bottom The Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina will never host another family reunion of yours.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
GMofHamptonMarina, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. While we appreciate your recent comments, I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding your visit last year. In the last year the hotel has made great strides in improving our customer service and overall hotel appearance. We currently are under new management, and our goal is to make sure everyone enjoys their experience at our facility. I encourage you to try our hotel again, please contact the General Manager directly at 757.727.8913, we invite you to visit and see first hand the strides we have made, and how this is the PERFECT place for any family reunion!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great food, great service especially from waitress Whitney who was very good at taking care of our need while enjoying our breakfast at the Marina. This was a pleasant visit and we had fun. Thanks Whitney for making this possible. Hope to come back again in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
GMofHamptonMarina, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for writing about your most recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that Whitney took such great care of you, I will make sure to let her know your thoughts. Hope to see you soon at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Family stayed at this hotel for a sport tournament the weekend of April 19-21. The hotel is located on a small bay and is part of the marina so there are lots of boats to see. Beautiful views and the area is nice to walk around.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. First night our room A/C didn't work. They sent someone up right away and he put freon in and left within the hour.

Breakfast is very good.

Great location with plenty of stores and restaurants.

Right off the main highway so it's easy to get to and from.

Plenty of parking (deck) and it was free.

Pool on roof was still closed in mid April.

My only 2 negatives; the elevators were slow. And one was broken for one of the days we were there. There are no stairwells in the main hotel. The stairs from the floors (2-8) lead you to outside and the alarm always go off when you exit to the street. And the beds were very lumpy and small.

Room Tip: Get rooms away from elevator and facing water views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
GMofHamptonMarina, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina. We appreciate your kind comments and it's great to hear the staff took care of any issues you had right away during your stay. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just wanted to share the wonderful we recieved during our stay last night at the Hampton Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina. The receptionist, Rachel was wonderful in her ability to make us feel at home and recommending some great sites to see and places to eat.

Room Tip: Room was spacious with an Amazing veiw over the Marina; the Sunrise was a definate advantage to make...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GMofHamptonMarina, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We appreciate the kind remarks and hope to see you again in the near future. I will share your thoughts with Rachel! Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stay over a weekend where the hotel had many functions going on. Despite this, the staff were very responsive, friendly and helpful.

I had a room with a king-sized bed on the third floor overlooking the street. This was a nice quiet room, despite its proximity to a busy road. In addition to the bed, the room had a sofa, chair, ottoman, desk, drawers and large-screened television. I loved the extra "spa" lotions that came in the bathroom and wished they were replaced daily.

I had no problem with the WiFi. There was a burned out bulb in the room and the TV remote control batteries had died. These were both taken care of within minutes of me bringing it to their attention, despite this being an extremely busy weekend for the hotel. The room was clean and pleasant. I was grateful for the "privacy" clip on the curtain that helped block out the sun.

Meals were expensive at the hotel and the nearby breakfast spot was closed for renovation. I enjoyed the one tiny meal that I had in the restaurant, but then wound up buying breakfast at the 7-11 down the road and dinner at a nearby restaurant. The location was terrific - within a block was the Virginia Air & Space Museum and not much farther was the Hampton history museum, shops and restaurants. Parking for the hotel was free in a multi-level garage next to the hotel.

(The outdoor pool was closed.)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your most recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff, and happy to hear they were able to assist throughout your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you did not decide to have breakfast with us and understand a more economical breakfast was the right choice for you, we will definitely take a look at our pricing and find a more reasonable a la carte menu to suit everyone. Thank you for the suggestion. We hope to serve you again at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina.