“Don’t let the beautiful pictures of the view fool you!!”

Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel because the views from the pictures of the Marina were so beautiful. However, we were sadly mistaken once we arrived. The room/bathroom was older and wasn’t that appealing to the eye. When we attempted to dine at the outdoor restaurant , we waited at our table for 15 minutes and then I got up and obtained our menus. After another 10 minutes of waiting I summoned a waitress. We gave her our order. After another 15 minutes of not receiving our drinks we left. A few hours later after preparing for bed, we saw something scurry across the floor. It looked to be a roach. When I called the front desk the attendant informed me that she was quite sure it was a “waterbug”. She stated that since we were on the water and it was raining, they could have come up from the drain. We were totally disgusted. She offered to have someone come upstairs and move our room. We accepted. However, we ended up moving our own belongings since they just dropped off the key. Honestly, if you can help it, this shouldn’t be your 1st choice in hotel stays if you are visiting the Hampton area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank ladykb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Dear ladykb,

Thank you for your recent stay and leaving us feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 30, 2012

The hotel overall was very clean and the habor view was beautiful. I would recomend to stay here for any occasion. Even though I visited the hotel the weekend when a basketball tournament was being hosted it was still very quite with little to any noise complaints. I would have rated the hotel a 4star HOWEVER, I reserved the excutive suite back in february but when i checked in I was given the key to the junior suite. I was not informed that i would not be given the room that was supposed to be guaranteed since i purchased it in advanced. The hotel manager check me in and still didnt inform me that my room had been changed. As soon as i walked in the room i knew it was not the room i saw in the pictures online. I went back downstairs to inform them that i was given the wrong room. The lady at the desk was very polite and offered me a free drink at the bar however she informed me that the hotel was completely sold out and there was nothing i could do about it until the next morning when her manager (the guy who checked me in) came back to work because he was gone for the day. The next day i spoke to the hotel manager that explained to us that it is hotel policy that they over book the executive suite on purpose just in case someone cancels. The manager was also very respectful and offer to give me back the subtracted cost that the junior suite was worth. I feel that this "hotel policy" is VERY absurd. Why should I be given a room that I did not request? Especially since i booked the hotel months in advanced and I chose the rate that stated I could not be given a refund. This was a VERY big upset to me and if i would have known that before hand i would have never tried to book the executive suite. Also i feel that if I would not have complained to the front desk i would NEVER been informed on the room change from the executive to the junior suite.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Diamond B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Diamond B,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We were five adults and 3 children in three rooms, and were all very pleased overall.

The rooms were great - nothing fancy but neat, clean, and larger than expected. Some reviewers mention that the hotel is somewhat dated, but none of us got that feeling. They were nice and bright due to the floor-to-ceiling windows. The views were great too. I had a corner room (526 if I remember correctly) with a full marina view, while the other rooms had partial marina/pool views (522 and 422). The beds were very comfortable too - and coming from someone who's 6'-8", this means a lot. ;)

I found the service and staff (especially at check-in) to be very pleasant and accommodating. For example, I requested a fridge and crib for two of the rooms (I had called the morning before), and they were all in the rooms waiting for us when we got up.

I've been to other hotels and have been treated like a second class citizen when I was on a name-your-own-price or award stay. This being a free-night award stay, I was pleasantly surprised at the absolutely fantastic service I received.

We didn't go to breakfast or use the spa, and the pool was still closed for the season, so no comments on those.

Overall we were very pleased and will be recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LangeLuksh
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share them with the staff. Your comments are important to us and we will use them to improve our efforts. Thanks again!

Reviewed April 17, 2012

The hotel's nautical theme is beautiful and relaxing from the moment you pull up. Free parking is wonderful using your room key. Check-in was amazingly efficient and every staff member was polite and nice.

The view of the marina was beautiful. The hotel is shwoing its age - the shower tiles were a little grungy. And some holes in the carpet. That said, I'd stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

SMB4X4,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the staff, theme and beautiful views. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Respectfully

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The location was great, as was the view of the harbour, however the room (and particularly the bathroom) whilst clean was starting to look tired - a little more tlc and redecoration is needed. The staff were friendly and helpful, we didn't eat in the hotel but the drinks in the bar were averagely priced.
The hotel could benefit from a little more planning, if you put a family into a room with adjoining doors the children are going to try the door, not so good at 6.30 in the morning when you are on the other side of the door.

Room Tip: Choose a room without connecting doors!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Peter D,

Thank you for your review, and staying with us. I'm sorry you received accommodations that were less than satisfactory, but pleased to see the staff was a highlight of your stay. We are always looking to be the best we can be, and the feedback we receive will help us to do so.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I made this visit as part of the Hampton University High School Day. We normally stay at Embassy suites but found this one at a discount. (We did miss the embassy suites breakfast) What a pleasant surprise!! Location was almost like being on campus. You could almost touch the school's cafeteria on the other side of the water. Nautical decorated rooms added to the ambiance of the hotel. This has now become our first choice for our Hampton stay. ***Remember to take shower shoes!!!! No tubs in the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share them with the staff. Your comments are important to us and we will use them to improve our efforts. Thank you.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

i made a weekendtrip with friends to hampton and we stayed at this awesome hotel.
rachel, the front desk lady, welcomed us really nicely and made our checkin really quick.
the hotel is really clean as well as the rooms. they are comfortable and we had an amazing view to the hampton harbor. unfortunally the swimpool season hadn't opend yet, but i'm sure it a lot of fun swimming and relaxxing on the roof pool. its another reason to come back ;)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are happy to hear that you found our hotel to have clean and comfortable rooms
Thank s again and we wish you safe travels.