New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central

Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Solid Hotel, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for business at this last minute after the original hotel we had booked was not good. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and was able to fit myself and my 3 co-workers into rooms. The hotel is 100% smoke free which is a plus for me. Hotel was clean and most things seemed very new. Breakfast included was a nice add on.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I do not have any complaint for the price I paid for this hotel through Priceline. Location is great, but you can only enter the hotel going one direction, or you will have to make a U turn couple KM away. Breakfast area is nice, but the selection of breakfast items get boring after a few days. Room is okay, not great, because most of the wooden furniture in our room are quite worn and outdated. Business centre is located weirdly right next to the breakfast area in the open so if you are using one of the nice Lenovo desktops for private matters the people sitting right behind or beside you having their breakfast can actually read what you have on the screen. Walls are thin so we hear baby crying all the time next door and door slamming frequently late at night and early in the morning costing our quality sleep time.

Room Tip: Stay at the end of the wings and you will be assured better sleep time. Our room is too close to the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
hpt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

in a nutshell, they are WONDERFUL. It sits on what was the "old" Holiday Inn. My family selected this spot based on other online reviews and its proximity to other Hpt things. It is right off of I-64 (Mercury Blvd exit). A Hooters is less than a block away, there are TWO walmarts on this street and about ANY other store you can think of. The AF base, is a short 7min drive away. I felt safe here. The side door has a keycard that you need to wave about.....that kinda was a "new" concept for the older ones in our group to process. The gym area, the IT area, and pool were all well lit, clean, and never that crowded. The breakfast is typical fare....the rooms were furnished nicely, and the beds slept well.

Each staff member we encountered was helpful and informative on local places to go. We tried a place up the street called Tommy's....( a local I-hop sorta place). We would stay here again, IF in this area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I spend months of the year on the road, and there were a lot of good aspects to this hotel. The beds were comfortable, the towels were large and fluffy, plenty of storage, and they had a good sized desk for computer work. The breakfast was really good as well.

We had problems with our toilet continuing to run after it was flushed. The staff tried 4 separate times to fix the problem with no luck. I will admit they offered to move us to a new room, but when you travel with as much stuff as a I do, changing rooms can be very time consuming. So we chose just to deal with it, and when it would start running on its own in the middle of the night and wake us up, we would just go jiggle the handle to make it stop.

The hotel has been nicely remodeled except for one place. The elevators are old, and don't always work correctly. Sometimes you have to push the button several times to get the doors to close and for it to go up to your floor.

The one thing that occurred that really bothered me was how the light would go off in the lobby bathroom in under 30 seconds, and you were stuck feeling your way around trying to find the door handle. I asked three separate times to have that fixed, and it wasn't actually done until I filed a complaint with the fire marshal because of the danger it posed.

The brightest part of the stay was the great hospitality we got from Harmony, Darrell, and Nellie. They are incredible employees, and really make you feel at home the minute you walk in the hotel.

I used Hotwire and got a rate of $55 per night for a 12 day stay, so it was definitely worth the money. I would never pay their advertised rate, because it certainly is not an $89 a night hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms close to the elevators. There is a lot of traffic, and the bells on the el...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Donna F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for providing us with your feedback during your recent visit with us. Our associates work extremely hard to ensure that your stay exceeds your expectations. We appreciate your acknowledging their efforts despite the problems that you incurred during you stay. We do apologize for the discomfort you experienced and we want to assure you that your concerns have been addressed. Your comfort and safety is very important to us and we assure you that we are in compliant with all safety regulations. It is our desire that you give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your complete satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit.

Thanks
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My stay was enjoyable from the time I stepped in the doors until I left! EVERYONE was more than helpful with any questions I had and I will most definetly be staying there again!!! The staff was extremely friendly and we even had a great time teasing each other about our NFL teams! I will be bringing my daughter with me next time I come down and I know she will be as impressed with everyone just like I am!! Thank you so much to everyone who works there!!! JOB WELL DONE!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel is very much update. We stayed in a double queen bedroom decent size hotel room for a family of four. We have 2 toddlers and they very much enjoyed the FREE breakfast (mom and did too!) cool machine that makes fresh pancakes, they have a mini fridge with milks and yogurt, tea and cereals.

Beautiful hotel only downside is that the bathroom is kind of small but as long as you're not planning on moving in, you should be fine!

enjoy your stay and book with confidence

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The place was excellent. the beds comfortable, shower had great pressure, air conditioning would run you out of the room but it also warmed up nicely. microwave worked well, refrigerator so cold it froze my soda which I love. friendly staff all the way around. everyone was helpful and proactive asking if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. now to mention we were at an anime convention so there were people in all sorts of costumes and we were still made to feel right at home. next years convention I know where we'll be. the breakfast was awesome they may have needed just a few more seats although I don't know where they would put them, that it was so packed for breakfast shows that the food was excellent.

Room Tip: higher rooms have a better view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family