“nice hotel....but a few small shortcomings”

Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Newport News, Virginia
“nice hotel....but a few small shortcomings”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

i want to start off by saying i would def stay her again. the hotel staff was nice....the breakfast was top notch....the bed's where nice and comfy...the towels were very soft and clean. i only had a few small issues. 1) the pool was very small 2)the elevator is possessed!!!! lol 3)i had a do not disturb sign up and the housekeepers knocked on my door anyway. i really didnt want to be bothered but she was very nice so i gave her a pass. overall i will continue to visit this hotel and for the price it is def worth the stay!!!!!!! :-)

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bruh_fred
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear bruh_fred,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are pleased you found our hotel and our staff nice as well as the breakfast top notch. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had during your stay. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lees Summit
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Everyone at this hotel was extremely nice, polite and professional. I think when we walked in the door, we were welcomed by 3-4 people. We were in the area so checked to see if we could check in a couple hours early. There was never a question. The room was extremely clean and quiet. The morning breakfast is standard for this chain, we always find it a very nice change from what we had stayed at the previous few days.

The in room internet speed was great. Wife and I both on catching up on work and speeds were fantastic.

Room Tip: Got a great deal from a discount website the day we stayed. So check them out when booking.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Executioner
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting too much out of a Holiday Inn. My friends and I were just looking for a cheap place to stay over a long weekend. I vastly underestimated how great the experience would be.

The staff were friendly and attentive to everything. They made sure our entire stay went smoothly and were helpful in suggesting local places to eat. The place it self was beautiful and very clean. The breakfast was a lot better than others I have had. All in all, it was just an amazing stay and if we're ever in the area, you can bet we're staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kimcheeisme
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Kudos to the Holiday Inn Express near the Hampton Coliseum. They provided me with EXCELLENT service, GOOD price, and a GREAT location (restaurants and shopping are conveniently located across the street).

While I was on a business trip, I needed a place to stay for a night as my "regular" hotel was booked. My colleague heard about my situation and immediately referred me to the Holiday Inn as he was staying there.

When you walk in the hotel, you are met with a warm modern/contemporary look and feel as the entire hotel was recently renovated. My room was immaculate and it adorned all of the modern amenities you would expect in a luxury hotel.

Finally the staff was AMAZING. Nita and Sharon (hotel clerks) went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable. Ask for them when you check in.

Would I recommend this hotel to anyone? ABSOLUTELY!!!! This hotel has become one of my "regular" hotels for the area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed one night on the way to the beach, so I didn't spend much time here. Hotel was right off the exit. Checkin/checkout was quick & easy. Staff was nice and helpful. Room was clean and comfy. Breakfast area was spacious and the food was good for being free. There's a road divider on the road in front of the hotel which means you can't make a left turn out of the hotel or turn into the hotel from the left, you have to go make a u-turn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel was nice and had been recently updated. Our room was spacious and comfortable. There were several issues, however. When we checked in, I wanted to take a shower before heading out for our dinner reservations. When I turned on the shower, the knob came off and water started spraying everywhere. Hotel staff responded immeadiately and couldn't get the water off. It took them about an hour to fix the shower and mop up the water that had flooded the floor. While they responded promptly, we were an hour late for our dinner reservations and they staff seemed frustrated that they were having to fix the old plumbing. The second issue came that evening when we returned from dinner to find 4 police officers at the hotel. There were issues with one of the guests staying there that they were deescalating. We thought that it wasn't much of an issue, as you can't control who stays at your hotel, but then, around 2am, a commotion outside of our room resulted in hearing the hotel manager outside on the phone with police stating that they needed to get there ASAP. It didn't leave us feeling very safe and no explanation was given.

While the hotel is nice, there is obviously some issues with the area. I'd be aware of that when staying at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear georgifisher,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are glad you found your room to be spacious and comfortable. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with your in-room shower that did not live up to your expectations. We also apologize for the challenges you had with the on-going situation during your stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We read the tripadvisor reviews carefully because there are many hotel choices in the area. The Holiday Inn was an excellent choice for our family of four. The hotel was completely renovated exactly a year ago. How go we know? They were serving (delicious) birthday cake in the lobby- along with noise makers and party hats. Our children LOVED this. The renovation still looked fresh. Our room was nice and clean with an A/C unit that kept the room as cold as we wanted it despite the 95 degree heat outdoors. Other reviews mentioned how friendly the staff was. The people we met at check-in were very pleasant and were really on the ball as they remembered to give us the current and future wifi access code as they realized that it would change during our stay. What REALLY set them apart was a late night hunger craving. After a long day of sightseeing, our young ones were in bed and the adults wanted some sort of snack. I ventured down to the lobby and asked about any nearby vending machines. The dear manager aplogized profusely explaining that several were on order and absolutely insisted that I take several bags of chips that she took from a large assortment that she had purchased. I have spent several hundred nights in hotels and this was just unbelievably kind. She could have pointed me to a dozen different places to get food nearby and instead- she gave me her food. Yep- THAT'S great service.

• Stayed July 2013