“Wonderful customer service!”

Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Richmond, Virginia
“Wonderful customer service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on more than one occasion and have always had a great experience. The rooms are clean and updated. One person stands out particularly for great customer service, Darrel Paige. He went above and beyond to make sure my experience with the hotel was positive and I truly appreciate that. Anyone considering staying at this particular hotel should feel confident in selecting it as a destination.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here Jan. 8 and 9 on business. Classic Holiday Inn Express Hotel is the best way to describe the experience, which, to me means very good. Easy access to I64 and about 15 minutes in non rush hour traffice from Newport News airport. Check in was completed promptly with no issues or concerns. I encountered probably 4 or 5 front desk staff during my stay and they were all exceedingly pleasant. It's nice to get a smile, "How are you?", "Welcome back." "Anything we can do?" coming in the front door, and they were allways personally engaging with me each time I passed by. On the friendliness side, I also want to give a shout out to the other staff members...housekeeping, the folks that prepare breakfast, and even some maintenance workers who were cleaning or maybe repairing some flooring in a public space. ALL were quick with a smile, hello, etc. Is Holiday Inn sending employees to charm school? If so it shows. The room itself was the usual. Two small nits...I'd like a few more ESPN options than just the mothership and the heater/AC unit, while effective at keeping the room temp constant, seemed to have a VERY loud fan. I slept OK...it was just loud to me. Ample parking of course. As for the surrounding area, a typical suburban commercial/retail neighborhood. I like to run and that wasn't really an option outdoors due to no sidewalks in the immediate area. A nice upscale mall, Peninsula Town Center is just across the street. Upscale retail, bars (see my review of Park Lane Tavern) and restaurants. I will probably be returning to the area in coming months and will stay at this hotel as a repeat guest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SRCFan
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have had some bad experiences at Holiday Inns and decided not to stay there anymore...but this Holiday Inn is completely new and we had an excellent experience except for the breakfast was unimpressive so we went next door to the Waffle House instead of eating at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I came into the hotel at 3 PM with our registration beginning at 4 PM. I understand I was a bit early, however I travel with my job and am an avid stayer of holiday in expresses. Also I have priority club gold which also helps with attaining a room a bit early. I go to check in and the front desk person doesn't even give me a chance to say my name or that I am trying to check in he instantly cuts me off and says " ma'am check in is at 4 so you will have to come back then. No we don't have any rooms available" I was so floored to be given this type of treatment by a hotel chain I normally stay with. I turned around sat in the lobby and waited till 4PM to get my room. The room was disgusting, bed bugs, cigarette scented walls, etc. I don't know why I had to wait if they were not going to clean the room.

Needless to stay this will be my last time staying faithful to the priority club and holiday inn chain.

I am promptly beginning a membership with hotels.com

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank cpc1015
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear cpc1015,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club Gold member and for leaving us a feedback.

I am disppoionted to learn that the service you received was less than satisfactory. I am sorry that you were not given the typical high level of service and customer care that our elite members deserve. Our staff pay special attention to our elite members and I can only offer my sincerest apologies for your poor experience and falling short on our regular standards.

As an elite member, your patronage and support to our hotel are very important. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We all hope that you will still give us the chance to welcome you back and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here last night - room 518 - and was eaten by bedbugs, along with my husband and 8 month old daughter. I turned on the light to see one next to my daughter's head. I called down to the front desk. Someone came up and said that he'd never seen this before and that he'd be switching our rooms, and comping us for the night.

We switched rooms but honestly, I was so freaked out that we checked out at 3am. The receipt shows that we were charged although they insist that we weren't. Time will tell, and I don't have the energy right now to fight that battle. I feel like burning every thing I brought with us. Thanks Holiday Inn Express

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank jeneric13
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I usually stay in Marriott hotels, but this time we decided to stay at this hotel simply because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The Marriott hotel in the Hampton area wasn't rated very high, even on AAA, but this hotel was #1. We're so glad we did! This hotel is excellent! The recent refurbishment has made this property feel like a freshly built hotel. And the staff are super as well! Each and every one goes out of their way to make us feel like VIP guests. The rooms are equipped with all the modern amenities including a flat panel TV. The lobby and breakfast areas are bright and comfortable and the breakfast goes beyond the standard continental style to be a sort of a mini buffet. We will be making this our home base whenever we come to Hampton, Virginia to visit our family!

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the elevators would be quieter. The King rooms are very spacious. We staye...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stay in a lot of hotels for work and this was a stay just for pleasure during the storm and not only was the staff professional, nice and accomodating, but also extremely pleasant! I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank justMelly
Donna F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear justMelly,

We are delighted that you had a pleasureable stay with us during such a difficult time. The weather event made it very challenging for all. We are pleased that you found the staff to be responsive and professional. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Sincerely.