“Very nice location!”

Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Charleston, South Carolina
“Very nice location!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I travel to Virginia often and this is the only place I will stay. Though this most recent time it wasn't all that great it's only because they were going through renovations. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the walk in area is small and always clean. As long as I travel I will continue to stay here!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tia N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband, 5 year-old son and I stayed here just one Friday night, on 8/24, to go to a daytime event at the Hampton Roads Convention Center - and only to avoid making the 2.5 hour drive there and back on the same day, since we live in Northern Virginia. And, I will say tat I have stayed in Choice Hotels' different brands before and at NO TIME have I had these same issues. The Econo Lodge on 21st St., in Virginia Beach, is MUCH nicer. The Comfort Suites, in Oceanside, CA, was much nicer.

So, as we drive into the parking lot (close to 11:45 PM), we notice that only the front portion of it is well lit. I had already passed two VERY tight parking spaces (because the lovely guests on either side were both parked on or just over the lines), so I had to go to the back of the parking lot. There was ample parking, in the black night of the lot, but we could see one sports car backed into a space with some guy/man/whatever...sitting in the passenger seat. The car was off and he was just sitting there in the dark. So, we drove to the front and squeezed between two "over the line" parked cars.

Inside the hotel looked okay - in the lobby. But, the first thing I asked the guy at the desk was about whether or not there have been recent cases of bed bugs. He advised that they resolved the issue by getting new furniture and mattresses. I asked this because after we made the reservation online, we saw some reviews (not sure how we missed them before) indicating this place had a bed bug problem.

In our non-smoking hotel, our bed spread has a cigarrette burn in it. It's a non-smoking hotel.

We were on the 4th floor, in room 408. The hall was kind of icky with obvioulsy unfinished (and not in progress) old paint (you can see the pics I've posted) and other lower quality decorations. There were 2 different sized and types of chairs (like dining room chairs or something) in the hall, next to the soda machines.

I cannot believe the Comfort Inn woud give or room to any paying customer. Our total was $72.42 which included an unrequested $1.00 charge for a safe we 1) did not use and 2) did not see until we were on our way out the door when we checked out. In was on the bottom shelf of what appeared to be an end table by the front door.

The first thing we did was check the sheets on the bed (they seemed clean) and under the bed and mattress, as well as on top of and under the mattress pad, for bed bugs. We didn't see any, but sleeping was very tough.

On to the actual issues:
*The heater/AC vent was FILTHY (picture is posted)!
*Paint splatters were on various parts of the bathroom door, the valance over the window...and...why?
*The rack with the coat hangers had been relocated on the same wall. But, the holes from where it was, previously, were not filled. It looked awful.
*The handles to the dresser and end table were broken/loose and had not been fixed.
*The cieling vent in the bathroom was not secured and was crooked.
*There was only one nightstand lamp. Yep, on my husband's side of the bed, there was a lamp. Nothing on mine. Just a plain old empty (on the top and the bottom) night stand.
*THE BATHROOM PIPES HAD MOLD AND MILDEW on them AND peeling paint!!!

This place was nasty and it should be a health violation for them to book anyone in this room. I'm quite unhappy and will be writing to corporate. I should not have been charged anything for this less than accomodating room.

On Saturday morning, we went to the lobby (there really is not a separate area to sit and eat asde frm the handful of tables at the entrance of the comfort inn - next to the front desk and next to the front door. There was one piece of sausage, no fresh coffee (it was just empty) and the yogurt and the peeled, hard boiled eggs were frozen!!! I asked the attendant if more sausage was coming out. She said in about 8 or 9 minutes. About 8 minutes later, another gues asked her about the sausage and, again, she told them about 8 or 9 more minutes. I mentioned, to her, that she told me this very timeframe about 8 or 9 minutes ago. She said the sausage needed to brown. Okay. Still no coffee until we were almost done eating. My, my...thank goodness I was not starving.

As we checked out, the young lady at the front desk asked how everything . I told her our room was nasty. She smiled and told me she hoped t wouldn't be that bad in the future. Really??? That's her response??? Great customer service, Comfort Inn. Way to make a happy customer!

I'm definitely re-thinking our Comfort Suites booking, in Orlando, next month. I could not stand a full week of living in a sub-standard place like this.

Room Tip: The space in your car is better. Stay there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank TamaraJones
Stamford
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed at the Comfort Inn in Hampton Virginia from 07\03\12 to 07\05\12 and I must the location and the staff where a Joy but the hotel need to be upgraded the rooms were OK the bathroom was small but clean, But the overall feel was an old place like I said needs a makeover

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cocofle
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

"Mario and the entire staff were friendly and welcoming. They helped us find
things to do in Hampton, like visit restaurants at the new Peninnsula Town Center. It seems
like everyone there is working hard to improve their image."

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have been renovated
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
elizabeth city, nc
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I'm a platinum member of the choiceprivileges rewards program. I like their motels and their rewards program. This is the worst motel of the entire chain. I would NEVER stay here again.

We booked online. I had seen the place before on the way to the Coliseum, so it came to mind when I needed a place close to the Coliseum.

When I walked into the lobby, there were 2 guys sitting at a table within 15 feet of the front desk. They looked and smelled as if they had just come from a basketball game. They had a 12 pack of beer up on the table and were drinking it in the lobby in full view of the desk clerk. (I drink beer myself, but I do have enough raising not to be doing it in the lobby where families with children are going to be checking in.)

The hallway walls were beaten up and gouged. The coffeemaker leaked. The microwave had a dent as if someone had fallen on it. The parking lot is separated from a HUGE public housing project by a measly chain-link fence.

The room was reasonably clean, and the bed comfortable, but I felt like I needed a weapon the whole time I was there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank weeksvillejoe
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We made reservations through the Choice Hotels website. Upon arrival we immediately decided we were not comfortable staying there...they seemed to be in the middle of some renovations but our feet stuck to the floor, the breakfast area was very unimpressive and looked dirty. We used the bathroom around the corner from the front desk and there was a door to a room open. It looked dirty and old. We tried to cancel but they told us they have a 24 hour in advance policy. I see why. If people come as we did, they would cancel too. We did not stay...we will dispute the charge with our credit card company. We try to travel economically, but it's true...you get what you pay for. We should have been smarter and realized that the rate was too good for a beach town, and the 24 hour cancellation policy should have told us something too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank MrsL50
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed May 18, 2012

i was happy to be back adn coming into the lobby seeing all the new renovations was great. the front desk clerk was great he was so friendly and helpful. he gave me a room on the first floor as i requested. i went to my room and opened the door, the room had be renovated and looked amazing. the colors were great. i evern called the desk to say how great it looked. but once again another great stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business