“Virginia Air and Space Center”

Virginia Air & Space Center
Ranked #4 of 34 things to do in Hampton
More attraction details
Owner description: Aerospace museum that holds more than 100 exhibits, including the Apollo 12 command module and several IMAX films.
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The only reason I am giving this musuem three stars is because I got to meet an astronaut and that was cool. If it was not for that, it would have gotten two stars because i do not think it is worth $11.50.

I visited on "Space Day", which is an annual day dedicated to space education for kids. The facility should have been prepared to be busy. I paid the admission, but there was no one monitoring who was going in, so people were just walking in without paying and nothing was done about it.

As far as the interactive displays, only about half of them actually worked. There are a couple of cool basic flight simulators where you can fly a space shuttle. There are also two remote control Mars Rovers, but none of them worked. The planes are cool to look at and you can climb into some of the models to get a look at the cockpit. There is an exhibit called "Grossology", which covers the science behind snot and other gross things. It was actually interesting and funny. The gift shop has many NASA and Air Force vehicles and an array of unique jewelry. The bathrooms and the food court are disgusting. The were no lids for the drinks and hardly any tables.

The parking is free and is across the street. The museum is also across from the Hampton History Museum and a mile across the Booker T. Washington bridge to the Hampton University Museum and campus.

9  Thank globaltrekster
in 17 reviews
"snack bar"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed March 25, 2011

Because I would have considered the money a waste. I was offered the military appreciation entrance fee waiving and I am glad I was because like many previous reviews this museum was a huge disappointment. The only piece of electronics that was working was the paper towel dispenser that I used after washing my hands twice because the joysticks and exhibits were so disgusting I couldn't get the oily residue off my hands. Not to mention that all those flight simulators didn't work. The museum was obviously child oriented and that detracted from the history and technology that could have been shared at this venue. The shame was epitomized by a temporary exhibit that crowed the Apollo 12 exhibit to the point that I couldn't read all the displays and was overwhelmed by the "Exhibit of Grossness" that looped spitting, burping and gargling noises to teach kids I don't know what. I think NASA and Langley should be ashamed to be associated with this museum. This beautiful building houses an ugly menagerie of disrepair and waste. No wonder we haven't returned to the moon.

6  Thank Dakarev
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We are recent transferees to the Hampton area and have visited the Air and Space Center at least 4 times. Every time I go I leave more impressed. I can't speak to any previous renovations and remodeling, but as of Jan 11 this place is clean, extremely educational and extremely enjoyable. It's never crowded. My kids absolutely love it. They love the 'max flight" ride, the "star trek shuttlecraft" ride, the "fly a DC-9" simulator, the IMAX, the carousel, the NASA exhibits, the interactive aircraft carrier, the paper airplane wind tunnel....I could go on and on.

1  Thank jgeor
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We spent an entire day at this place. Kept the 4 year old and the 40 year old entertained. Tons of interactive exhibits. Well worth the price of admission. Would reccomend this to people of all ages.

1  Thank Candyapple3