“Try the soft crab BLT”

Sandpiper Reef Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual fine dining on the Piankatank River. Specializing in fresh local seafood and steaks cut to order.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had dinner on Sunday at Sandpiper Reef and really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere for a rainy afternoon. The clam strips were piled high and reasonably priced. Took home a soft crab BLT to hubby and racked up a lot of brownie points!!! I want to go back and have one myself. GREAT JOB GUYS!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I just want to let everyone know if you are ever I Mathews County... You have got to eat at this Resturant!!! The seafood is great, the tenderloin streak will melt in your mouth and all other entrees are good too :) The mixed drinks are good and they always have very cold beer. The waitress staff.... They are great! I am so upset cause I am going to miss the waitress Maggie... She is going back to college.
I will be going back.....probably this weekend!

3  Thank Frank672
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was second time my wife and I ate at Sandpiper Reef, and we were disappointed. After a first bad experience we thought we would give it a second chance. We went on a Sat night -- very noisy and live music was so loud (and so bad) there was no conversation possible during sets. Service was good, but we waited an inordinate amount of time for entrees --"kitchen got backed up". Steamed clam appetizer was dry and dull. Salad was wilted. Fried oysters were overcooked. Fish was tasteless. Vegetable "medley" was boiled zucchini. Food was way overpriced. Venue was quite nice-- right on the water. Why would owners think they need to blast out the music while people are eating dinner??
We're done with this place.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Sandpiper Reef has proven to be the perfect choice for a quality dining experience. The quality is consistently excellent on each visit.

In a tranquil waterfront location in rural Mathews County, VA, you will enjoy casual white tablecloth style dining that has everything you are looking for: A broad menu of seafood and traditional beef and chicken favorites, and top notch daily specials. The Salmon New Orleans was a superbly prepared dish that was recently enjoyed.

A skilled bartender adds to your enjoyment.

As if this were not enough, the talented musicians that the owner regularly engages conjures the harmonious and relaxing atmosphere you seek.

Sandpiper Reef will be a destination to add to your favorites, as it has become ours!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have been going to Sandpiper Reef restaurant for years... It is still the best for food and service anywhere in the area!!! They are open Thursday - Sunday and I never miss my visit there whenever I can.... The staff is friendly and the food is excellent!!! Go there when you are in Mathews or Gloucester... You'll be so glad you did!!!