“Cameron did a great job!”

Grottoes and Grand Caverns
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Grottoes
More attraction details
Owner description: America's oldest continuously operated show cave, voted #2 in America by Parade magazine, and a National Natural Landmark, Grand Caverns is a prime example of history and beauty. With our abundance of rare shield formations and history around every turn, come see for yourself why we are 'Grand'. .
Chesapeake, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Cameron did a great job!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We enjoyed ourselves. We went to the Natural Bridge Caverns the day before but these were by far the better caverns. Cameron did a great job! The caverns are ranked #2 in the US. The tour was over an hour and well worth it.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank NavyWifeJapan
GCManagement, Manager at Grottoes and Grand Caverns, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your tour with Kamron. Thanks for stopping to see us.

williamsburg
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Excellent Guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Shame on me I forgot the Guides name but he was excellent. Our group was small so he gave us a lot of history. I have been to three other caverns but this was very enjoyable. Having excellent employee's made the trip worth while. I am glad we decided to go here!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank pamoz
Norwich, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A very nice stop on our trip home...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I were returning to CT from NC after visiting with friends. I was determined to do something "touristy" on the way back. On the way down, I had seen many billboards for caverns. It definitely piqued my interest. We grabbed every cavern brochure at one of the rest stops and checked them out online. The biggest draw for Grand Caverns at that moment was the price. $18 for adults, minus a public service discount, as he is a member of a volunteer fire department in CT (proper ID required, and all members of the party are eligible). So, that's what we settled on. I noticed on our way back up I-81 that there were billboards for other caverns that were farther away, but none for Grand Caverns. That said to me that it was more of a natural wonder than a tourist attraction, which is exactly what I was hoping for. When we arrived, the park setting was absolutely pristine. Plenty of room to stretch your legs, relax, and enjoy the sunshine. When we went in to pay for our tour, I perused the gift shop, which is loaded with reasonably-priced knicknacks to bring home to your family and coworkers. The 1/4 mile hike up to the entrance did take the wind out of me, as it is all uphill. When you enter the building, there are displays, including taxidermy, a touch table (perfect, since touching inside the cave is an absolute NO-NO, as it stunts its development), and glass cases containing artifacts found in the cave. Our group was advised that it would be "chilly" inside the cave, and we may want to borrow a jacket if we didn't have one. However, I felt nothing but relief from the heat throughout the tour. Our guide was well versed in the history of the cave, including what it was used for, its place in the Civil War, and how it was formed. There wasn't a room that didn't impress me. Flash photography with a cell phone is difficult, as the flash may not be powerful to reach as far as you'd like. There were a few features that weren't well-lit enough for me to capture them, which was disappointing. I did wish I had more time to check out the gift shop after the tour, since we only had 10 minutes before our 3 o'clock start to get up the hill, and after the tour and the video of the newest, unwalkable areas of the cave system, it was almost time for the shop to close. The sad thing about that is that there were still tours being scheduled, and those groups wouldn't be able to get in at all after they were finished. They should extend the shop hours for at least 30 minutes after the last tour and video finish. At the end of the day, it was a very nice stop (especially on a hot day!). Very educational, and very beautiful. I would have loved to stay afterward and enjoy the park, but we had to get back on the road.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Paula R
lancaster, pa
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Nice caves”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Not too far from Massanutten so we stopped by.Nice and cool, so bring a jacket. The path is stone, which makes it hard to walk if you have balance issues. A nice day trip.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank cyw
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Interesting Cave with plenty of space”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Tours leave on the hour, but there is a nature center and park to keep you busy while waiting. There is also a video to watch about the new part of the cave that was discovered around 2004. You can't visit this part so the video is the only way you'll see this fantastic part of the cave. The cost was $18, but there is a $2 coupon on their website. The tour lasts 70 minutes.

The tour is a good mix of human and geological history. There is plenty of history of both to this cave. This is also a great place to see shields, which are an unusual cave formation that you won't see in the same numbers anywhere else.

My wife and I were the only people on the tour. I'm not sure why, since this tour and cave sounds like it is head and shoulders above the others in the area and in Virginia in general. Go there and get a private tour while you still can.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Berslon P
GCManagement, Manager at Grottoes and Grand Caverns, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and for visiting us!