“Great Food, Great Service, Consistently Great”

LAuberge Chez Francois
Reserve with OpenTable
LAuberge Chez Francois is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Great Falls
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Beach Mill Road
Description: Travellers in the beautiful Alsatian countryside, seek out "auberge", the little family inns that dot the roadsides, to eat well and enjoy the scenery. They know they will find fine food and glowing spirits, at an excellent value. Welcome to L"Auberge Chez Francois, our French country inn a short distance from the nation's capital, nestled among lush woods and fragrant gardens, that has captivated visitors for over 50 years. L'Auberge Chez Francois is the ideal spot to celebrate special moments, private parties,luncheons, weddings and cooking demonstrations. Our menu is extensive and full of the flavors of Alsace and traditional French cuisine. Excellent food and service, attention to detail and a casually elegant atmosphere are hallmarks that have made L'Auberge Chez Francois a Washington favorite. We sincerely hope that you will enjoy your visit with us. Jacques Brasserie at L'Auberge is open Tues-Sat,5-9:00PM,Sunday 3-7:30PM. Reservations for Jacques' Brasserie via phone only!
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and I have been to L'Auberge at least 50 times through the years and returned today for my wife's birthday. It was magnificent as always. The physical plant is beautiful (especially during holiday season). The food is excellent and plentiful. The service excellent. The price is eminently reasonable.

What is not to like? The prix fixe menu includes appetizer, salad, main course, and dessert at dinner. The lunch is an even better deal, $40.00 for a glass of wine, coffee, appetizer, salad, main course, dessertand an amuse bouche, typically a soup.

A wonderful celebratory place with an exceptionally fair price tag. I know of no better combination of quality and value.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is my wife;s and my second visit to L'Auberge Chez Francois. and this visit was every bit as wonderful as the first. The motif is that of an auberge or inn, as opposed to dining in a five star restaurant in Paris, and that is part of the charm. Service was, as expected, outstanding. Not only was our waiter professional, attentive and helpful, but the sommelier was as well. He came to our table and made some recommendations which were spot on, but in the higher price range. I love wine and do want to begin to understand the subtle differences among wines that may justify prices of nearly $100 or more, but I advised my palate is not there yet. He graciously offered a first rate merlot at $30 a bottle which was wonderful.

The truth is that the restaurant offers an excellent wine list ranging from $30 or slightly less to nearly $300. There is something for every taste.

The menu is prix fixe and includes appetizer or soup, salad, entree, dessert and coffee.The choices for each course were more than satisfactory. I ordered a wonderful pate appetizer, duck breast with quince,wild rice and a medley of vegetables, while my wife had a seafood dish. Both were excellent. At the beginning of the meal we enjoyed a tiny bit of lentil soup, the complimentary beginning that is a hallmark of fine restaurants, and following the main course we enjoyed a sorbet that was so rich in fruit taste that it had to be made on site.

Dessert choices were delightful and included baked Alaska, chocolate souffle, creme brulee, and a plum tart. At our table we ordered all but the souffle and each was a wonderful and tasty end to the meal. Coffee, which followed, is included in the prix fixe.

Of course, such a fine meal is not inexpensive and for most of us it is the stuff of a special occasion. Estimate at least $100 per guest to allow for wine, aperitifs and the like. More expensive wine or drinks will raise the tab. Here the occasion was my wife's birthday for which she was given a magnificent meringue and ice cream cake with the requisite candle. However, the cost is well worth the dining experience. Dining at L'Auberge Chez Francois is an evening experience, not just a trip out to grab dinner.

The restaurant is a bit of a drive, albeit a lovely one, from the center of DC, but well worth the trip. Another nice feature which we look forward to in the future, is the terrace which allows one to savor the rolling countryside.

L'Auberge is ranked one of the finer restaurants in the Greater DC area, a ranking well deserved. Oh, a warning, often one must book weeks or even months ahead, so if you plan a special occasion reserve early. We went on a Sunday night early and interestingly the restaurant was not crowded, but I think you will find an open table an anomaly most of the time.

1  Thank ken4401
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I took my wife to LAuberge Chez Francois in Great Falls, Va for her birthday last evening and it could not have been better. We had an early reservation at 5:15 and considering the 6 course meal, we where happy that we chose that time. The restaurant is a white stucco building with red shutters and heavy wood trim featuring American and French flags in the front. Upon entering the restaurant, I was impressed by the courtesy of every waiter or employee, greeting us as we made our way to a table in a large dining room that featured a roaring fire on this chilly day. The restaurant was just beginning to fill and our table was a window table looking out on their patio which I imagine is beautiful in the spring and summer when the bulbs and perennials bloom. The menu features a variety of seafood and beef for the most part. The waiter served a small cup of split pea soup as a complimentary "starter" which was very creamy and wonderful. We both chose lobster bisque for an appetizer and a wonderful light salad. There was a basket of homemade bread and a tray of toasted garlic type bread served with our selection of a Savignon blanc wine. The wait staff was appropriately attentive, filling water glasses and wine glasses without prompting. We were served a grapefruit sorbet prior to our entree's. My wife had a seafood puff pastry entree that included lobster, crab, and salmon. It was perfectly light and accented with string beans. I had the maine lobster in a citrus sauce, slices of citrus and melon and roasted string beans. The presentation of the lobster was very appealing cut into small lobster sections accented by the citrus pieces. Both entree's were done to perfection. Our waiter brought a complimentary dessert of two large merringue balls flanking a dark chocolate pastry with a lit candle on top in recognition of my wife's birthday. I had not mentioned it beforehand, but imagine someone heard me toast the wife earlier. My wife had ordered the dark chocolate tart and I had a piece of layer cake with chocolate syrup on the side. Our final treat was a complimentary saucer of vanilla wafers and dark chocolate balls, which were delicious. This was a perfect dinner and location for us to share some wonderful time together, not being rushed and enjoying every course.
We highly recommend LAuberge Chez Francois, and will remember this evening.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was taken to this lovely French country restaurant for lunch on Valentine's Day. I had no idea where we were going, but from the minute we entered this charming restaurant, I knew we were in for a very special dining experience.
The food was wonderful, and the choices were varied and filling. I had a lobster omelette and my date had lamb; both were prepared to perfection.
The service was also top-rate; you can tell that this place aims to please all of their clientele.
I would not hesitate to recommend this beautiful dining location; we will be back!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

It was a cold and stormy winter night on our anniversary, and I was bringing Yvonne to suburban Washington’s storied French hideaway in Great Falls, Virginia, L’Auberge Chez François. The last thing I needed was putting her on edge, but I took a wrong exit off the Interstate and spent half an hour navigating nine white-knuckle roller-coaster miles of the Georgetown Pike. At last, at a T-junction emerged a sprawling and cheerfully lighted, one-story Alsatian-themed manor house with room enough for 300 diners. How, after coming upon such a refuge from the perilous road, could we not like the place?

Painlessly, it turned out. I had told them it was our anniversary when I made the reservation. Georges, a gentle graying Frenchman of a certain age, greeted us as though we were personal guests and led us to a candle-lit table. But we prefer sitting side-by-side, not across from one another, so Georges led us to another room and another, to a small round table near a window. It was just right, except for a wintery draft. An assistant brought fine woolen shawls, one from India for Yvonne and a subtle plaid one for me and draped them over our shoulders. Name another restaurant whose amenities include shawls.

At sixty years old, L’Auberge Chez Francois is unabashedly, traditional French, from gilt-framed tableaux down to the large, French, three-pronged forks, all without the hautiness of the Parisian palaces of haute cuisine. An immigrant Alsatian, François Haeringer, founded and ran the auberge until the night before his death at 91 nearly four years ago, and his son Jacques, a celebrity chef in his own right, has taken it on. The menu emphasizes classic beef, veal and seafood entrées with venerable merican standards like Maine lobster, Maryland crab, Alaskan salmon, Virginia ham and trout from the Shenandoah. The dinner menus are prix-fixe and six courses at prices depending on the entrées from $70 to $81, with extra charges to substitute
fee a few appetizers, such as foie gras. The Chateaubriand with béarnaisse and truffe sauce is $160, but that’s for two.

On our night, they readily accommodated Yvonne’s preference for appetizers. One was a bowl of classic lobster bisque, a scrupulous rendition of the best we have had in Paris. The other was Japanese Wagyu beef cheeks, a succulent delicacy braised with mushrooms and sherry. I started with the trios de saumons—one smoked salmon, one marinated with dill, and one a rillettte with capers—all succulent in silken texture and flavor. For the entrée, I chose the matelot de poisons, a variation on bouillabaisse with salmon, rockfish, scallops, crabmeat and shrimp in a creamy, Champagne and lobster sauce. I loved it.

Two little intervening courses were elegant touches. The first was a lentil soup in a demitasse cup and the second a tablespoon of grapefruit sherbet with tarragon. For dessert, we shared a small bowl Grand Marnier soufflé dusted with powdered sugar.

We never saw a sommelier, so we were saved from some costly temptations and settled for $9 glasses of the house’s respectable pinot noir. We had envisioned spending $250, but the check came to $163.29, including Georges’s anniversary tributes of two chilled coupes of dry Champagne. I’d quibble about a couple of things. They could send a sommelier around more. We might well have sprung for wines more attuned to our courses. And they could offer the option of valet parking, particularly on nights like ours. We need not have made a reservation. Many tables were empty on our Wednesday night in winter. Weekends, however, the place fills up. It's closed on Mondays.