“Delicious but Somewhat Pretentious”

LAuberge Chez Francois
Reserve with OpenTable
LAuberge Chez Francois is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Great Falls
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Beach Mill Road
Description: Travellers in the beautiful Alsatian countryside, seek out "auberge", the little family inns that dot the roadsides, to eat well and enjoy the scenery. They know they will find fine food and glowing spirits, at an excellent value. Welcome to L"Auberge Chez Francois, our French country inn a short distance from the nation's capital, nestled among lush woods and fragrant gardens, that has captivated visitors for over 50 years. L'Auberge Chez Francois is the ideal spot to celebrate special moments, private parties,luncheons, weddings and cooking demonstrations. Our menu is extensive and full of the flavors of Alsace and traditional French cuisine. Excellent food and service, attention to detail and a casually elegant atmosphere are hallmarks that have made L'Auberge Chez Francois a Washington favorite. We sincerely hope that you will enjoy your visit with us. Jacques Brasserie at L'Auberge is open Tues-Sat,5-9:00PM,Sunday 3-7:30PM. Reservations for Jacques' Brasserie via phone only!
Reviewed September 21, 2013

They offer a "six-course" prix-fixe dinner menu based on the price of the entrée, (I wouldn't necessarily call three of their items "courses"--meaning the spread for the bread, the sorbet palate cleanser, and the cookie and truffle at the end--though those are all good.) Their appetizers are fantastic; my crepe was amazing. In fact, I would be delighted to have several appetizers in place of an entrée. I had the Alsatian Feast for dinner and was disappointed because some things were overcooked; I've had it before, and it had been outstanding. They make wonderful hot soufflés for dessert; I had chocolate, but I can also highly recommend the Grand Mariner. These cost extra, and I was disappointed I could not also get my favorite (without paying even more) from their "included" menu--the plum tart. (I'm not a pig, but I really wanted both.) Our waiter was wonderful, but he kept getting looks of disapproval from the manager. We surmised the waiter was somewhat new and wasn't doing things up to the house's standards, but he was very attentive and didn't miss a beat as far as we're concerned. One word to the wise: Their parking lot is blue stone, and this can mess up high heels; if you're wearing high heels, ask someone to let you out at the door.

1  Thank KenCookie

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We are very fortunate to live near this fine restaurant. Although the first visit may seem intimidating, you will soon find out that this is a warm, friendly place with excellent, excellent food.

The Haeringer family has always run a top notch restaurant and we have always been warmly welcome. It is a real treat to see the founder and father of the family, Francois Haeringer, in the restaurant during holidays. Never anything but a smile on his son, Chef Jacques face, as with the other members of the family.

The Prixe Fixe luncheons are a great deal. I recommend everything on the menu but am a big fan of the Bouillabaisse and the Alsatian plum tart. And there is nothing wrong with a glass or two of the house Cremant d'Alsace.

1  Thank BirdsandBay
Reviewed September 7, 2013

And, this is an understatement. This is a restaurant which does everything perfect. The food, the service, the atmosphere, everything! Don't be scared if you don't have reservations. They've always had a table when I've had a "spur of the moment" urge!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I am from Montreal, Quebec. I so miss French food. That was until we found Auberge Chez Francois. While a bit pricey, the meal was worth every penny & more. We plan to go back for special occasions. We also plan to try his bistro. The only problem is we enjoy the food so much it is then hard to make the 2 hour drive home. This is true French cooking with a modern twist. It is as good or better than I have had in Paris, France.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

It looked to me a favorite place for special celebrations. And it is... Definitely not a cheap place but definitely haut cuisine, as the French people say. I would recommend some reading before these experience. About the concept... To better plan. You pay the price of the main course (in the range of 75) and you get an appetizer at your choice, a salad, a soup, a dessert and of course the main course. So you have a lot of amazing food. Therefore, as a gourmet but a weight watcher I would go there for lunch instead of dinner. Onion soup was great, the vegetarian grilled vegetable mix was perfect, the halibut in pastry was delicious. The wine list is great and Bordeaux list is even better... Desserts... Crème Brûlée as in Paris... Service is excellent and the decor intimate. Menu for kids is available and a coat is recommended for...monsieurs.