“The place used to be better--and cheaper--and no 20% tip”

Brx American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Brx American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 35 Restaurants in Great Falls
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Georgetown Pike
Description: Brx is a place where you can take your family or meet with your friends for some quality time and good food and drink. We wanted to create an atmosphere where people could gather casually in a sophisticated, yet down to earth locale. Brx's large dining room and outdoor patio offer a casual and comfortable ambiance to enjoy our American cuisine influenced by your favorite comfort foods. Our casual bar area is the perfect place for a glass of wine from our extensive wine list, or a round of beers with friends. Brx's large dining room and outdoor patio offer a casual and comfortable ambiance to enjoy our American cuisine influenced by your favorite comfort foods. Our casual bar area is the perfect place for a glass of wine from our extensive wine list, or a round of beers with friends.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have been eating at Brix American Bistro since shortly after they opened. We always enjoyed the great food, the very reasonable prices and the great service. We went there this past Sunday with a Social Living (buy $15 and get $30) coupon. Even with that our meal was over $60 which means it would have cost us $90. Ouch!! This is a bistro, not a 5 star restaurant.
I ordered the veal piccata special and was very disappointed. Several of the pieces of veal were so tough that I had to spit them into my napkin. They were impossible to chew. Our other food was OK. Not great. Just OK. We had iced tea to drink and no desserts. Then came the check.
The automatically add (and you cannot reduce) a 20% tip. That was outrageous. The customer determines the tip, not the restaurant. There were only two of us eating and there was no need for an automatic 20% tip. To get a 20% top (1) you need to be at a very fine restaurant, not a strip mall bistro, (2) you should not have to wave your arms to get your waitress's attention so you can ask her to bring the olive oil back to the table because she took it before you could use it and (3) you should not have to wave your arms two separate times to get the waitress's attention so she could refill your iced tea. To add misery to an already uncomfortable meal we then got the bill and even with my $30 prepay I still owed over $60. That was outrageous. We left and agreed that there are many more places in the area to eat where we will get better food, better service and not have to deal with an mandatory 20% time. So long Brix. You lost a good customer who had brought others to your place. You got greedy.

1  Thank Robert F

Reviewed May 19, 2013

First off, the service was horrible. I hate to flag waitstaff as I find it rude, but if you re so inattentive that the whole table waves like they are flagging down a passing airplane while stranded on a dessert island, you are probably doing something wrong. At Brix, the service is doing something wrong. The food was wrong, the attentiveness is nonexistent, the remedy was slow, etc. My wife said that she is pretty sure he want us to just get out of there so he could leave.

On to the food. Solidly average. We were in for brunch and is just was not that good. Sometime there are problems at brunch due to the amount of guests, but there wer 6 total table with 25 total diners. That is sad.

As another reviewer noted, and I read too late, avoid the cornbeef hash. It was super greasy. It also had the distinction of being served with (dry)scrambled eggs. I have never has hash with anything more cooked the an over easy egg. It was weird, and the lack of creamy yoke really diminished the dish. Two omelettes were eaten with no real reaction as to good or bad. The comment extracted was a meh sound with a meh seconded. The French toast was reported to be good, but the preteen would have eaten the table without complaint if food did not arrive promptly (he appreciates good food, but is entering the eating years).

I had high hope for Brix as choices are pretty limited, but I cannot see going back unless there is a deal to get me back in to try dinner. Today's performance, so doubly injured by the server, just cannot make me recommend a stop here.

1  Thank thephan
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our young waitress was friendly and did a good job advising us. My husband and son ordered the veal pasta special with mushrooms and artichokes. They both loved it. I ordered steak which was cooked just right. We ordered the sushimi, and brie & pear appetizers -- both very good. The chocolate birthday desserts were delicious. The atmosphere is okay. In season we prefer the covered outdoor eating area behind the restaurant.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I had a coupon for this place and had never been there before. It is a wonderful neighborhood find, quietly away from the maddening crowd. Hubby had a veal pasta that he didn't rave about but it was very nicely presented. I thought I was going to have seafood but had a last minute yen for a burger. The burger was awesome with a couple yummy onion rings on top! The service was excellent and the decor is very warm and trendy. It doesn't look truly special from the outside but it's worth going inside. We will return!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived as a party of 4 + baby. Planning an early dinner to reduce likelihood of crowds alleviating the common stress of dining out with baby. Was quiet with nice decor. Great place for being in a small strip plaza, convenient to many nearby neighborhoods. Our server, Arash, was cordial however extremely forgetful. Forgetting our starter and a side dish, we felt there was nice excuse as the restaurant was completely empty!!! If it had been busy, during prime dining hours, we would understand. The Penne Louisiana was remarkable. The turkey burger was blah. The truffle fries were tasty. The desserts were good.