“Eat Frozen Pizza instead”
Review of Bills Seafood House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bills Seafood House
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I can't believe this place actually has regular customers. The food was just awful. My dish was totally saturated in butter and was just a big bowl of grease. The seafood reminds me of something that you would buy in the frozen section of the grocery store with the exception of their fish. The clam strips appeared to be just fried batter The inside is dim and dingy. My cole slaw and ice water were good.

1  Thank gottavaca

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Bill's has been a favorite for decades, and the quality and value have been consistent for years. It's a friendly, down-home atmosphere, popular with the locals and a fine choice for tourists in the Yorktown / Newport News area. The seafood is always great, but the star attraction for us is the hush puppies! They are lighter and a bit sweeter than the usual hush puppy offerings, and are worth the trip all by themselves. Service has always been prompt, friendly and attentive. We've moved away from Virginia, but a meal at Bill's is always on our list when we're back in the area to visit family and friends.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

My wife and I took a senior friend to Bill's for his 83rd birthday dinner. [We used to go to Bill's in Newport News, but that has changed cuisine.] It is germane to note that he has Parkinson's, is in a wheelchair, and has difficulty eating.

We began with a large basket of hush puppies which appear to be served with all meals. They were hot and tasty, and refilled later in the meal.

Our friend started his meal with his usual bowl of oyster stew which he declared to be wonderful! The oysters were large, tender, and plentiful. He then enjoyed a dinner of fried oysters, baked potato, and applesauce. Again, the oysters were tender and easy for him to eat. The restaurant then gave him a piece of cherry topped cheesecake for his birthday which he took home to eat later.

My wife and I had broiled, marinated (in Italian dressing) salmon which was the special and broiled crab cakes. [She ordered the salmon and I the crab cakes then shared the meals.] Both were well prepared and tasty. The salmon was tender and flavorful; the crab cakes had little, if any filler. We chose baked potatoes and coleslaw as our accompanying sides.

Our waitress was very patient with us, holding our order until after our friend was well along with the difficult task of eating his oyster stew. The meals were then timed to be served together while hot. She was friendly, checking with us regularly, refilling water glasses, and to be certain all was going well.

The restaurant is not fancy, but a nice, quiet, homey place with plenty of room at the tables. Our friend's wheel chair was easily accommodated.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

The place to go if you like shrimp, clams, scallops and flounder with fries and coleslaw. Portions are good. Family operation and everyone is trying to please. Quick service. Line can exist to be seated during dinner hours.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I went here this evening and had a very good and wonderful evening with a bunch of friends. The waitress was very nice and pleasant to us for a fairly large group. She checked on us several times to make sure we had what we wanted or needed. The food here is not gourmet fare, just simple no nonsense items. They were out of a few items, but were willing to substitute extra items of what they had available. When I walked in, there was a note in the daily specials board mentioning what they were out of this particular evening. Hush puppies here are always good, a little sweet for one of our party, but all in all, warm, crispy, and served in generous amounts with honey butter or regular butter. A comment was made that they tasted rather like donut holes, but I didn't mind, still tasty. I ordered a salad as one of my sides and it was fresh and crisp. For my meal, I got the broiled stuffed flounder, one of my regular orders here and it was done very nicely. Fish tender and flaky, shrimp and crabmeat inside just the right amount of spice. And the temperature was just right. I think everyone else seemed to enjoy what they got, including blackened broiled tuna, shrimp ala bill ( spiced with a mix of old bay seasoning and garlic and broiled), crab cakes, pepper jack shrimp. As far as I could tell, no one had any complaints. I couldn't finish my entree because I had filled up quite a bit on hush puppies. They offered beer and wine, no fancy cocktails or bar drinks. Wine was about average, nothing extra special, but decent.
The restaurant decor is nothing fancy, just good ole simple local hometown feel to it. There are dark wooden beams, reminiscent of being on board a ship or at a dock, a few simple standard nautical themed pictures and scenes. It's a bit dated, but functional. All in all, a very good experience, and for me it's the Bill's Seafood House experience that I particularly remember, although it's been awhile since I have eaten there.

1  Thank ggregory42