“What a Fantastic B&B”

Uphill House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Gordonsville B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Lyn & her Mom are the perfect hosts. They have a clean, spacious inn coupled with a great setting. You have a large bed room and clean updated bath. THis is just the start. The full English breakfast perpared by Lyn an Enlish lady is well done. The fresh fruit, the pastries, the conversation. It's all here. If for no other reason go for the cookies. I became an addict I must admit.
Sitting on the deck in the evening was an excellent way to end the day. I just can't say enough about the two lovely ladies who just gave Pauline and myself a couple of days to remember.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room. This allows you to step out into a large living room area with a small...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a girls' weekend and had a lovely time! Lynn and Joyce are wonderful hosts who really made us feel at home. From the wine and cheese when we arrived, to our delicious English breakfast, all the food was incredible! In addition to the wonderful food and hosts, the location was very excellent too! At first, it seemed far away, but it actually is right in the middle of Virginia wine country and very convenient to all the places we wanted to go. Finally the price was reasonable, especially for all that is included. I would definitely recommend a stay here and hope to come back soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katie P
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Uphill House with a few friends to visit some wineries outside of Charlottesville. Lynn and Joyce were so great, everything was extremely clean, homemade cookies available whenever you like, an amazing huge breakfast, delicious wine and cheese cocktail hour, beautiful back deck with a fire pit, I could go on and on! They even had free tasting coupons to three of the wineries including Barboursville. The prices are also among the most reasonable out there, and a two night stay is not required which I appreciated. I highly recommend staying here and hope to be back to explore the area more.

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own bathrooms, four rooms upstairs and one on the main floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sulli2cm
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Uphill House. Joyce and Lynn think of everything - from the welcome treats and my husband's birthday cookies to the turndown service complete with moon and star shortbread cookies. This was our first stay in a B&B and Uphill House exceeded our expectations.

Lynn provided us with a mini wine tour print out for the local wineries and even threw in some complimentary wine tasting passes.

The house is beautiful and very clean. Beds are very comfortable with nice linens. Breakfast was very tasty, as were all the other treats.

We hope to make a return visit!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank aims41
joycelynn, Owner at Uphill House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review!! Now you are not first timers at a B & B!! Don't be strangers!!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This B & B is a modern house tucked away on a hilltop, affording wonderful privacy and quiet. The innkeepers are friendly, flexible, and incredibly attentive. The breakfast was marvelous, with a choice of continental or hot breakfast or ... both! Rather than go out to eat in the evening, I had the English Cream tea, a delightfully light meal after a long day. Wine and cheese are served in the afternoon, a much better choice for me than the crowded local wineries. I highly recommend Uphill!

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful. If you are not the only guest, an upstairs room might be a better choi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at many B&B's since we met several years ago. Some have been very beautiful, one was a nightmare, but NO ONE has EVER been as gracious and accommodating as Lynn and Joyce. (mother and daughter team) My husband and daughter selected this inn to celebrate my birthday as well as my son-in-law's. From the moment we arrived everything was perfect!! I recently had to go gluten free and Lynn and Joyce went above and beyond making sure there was always something special for me to eat. There were muffins, cookies, candy and a special breakfast "cobbler" this morning with a gluten free topping. DELICIOUS!!! My daughter even thought it was wonderful. These ladies are warm, helpful and maintain a spotless home. High quality sheets thrilled everyonne at the inn, as well as nice down-filled duvets. Our beds were turned down each evening and a special treat was left for us to munch on before retiring for the night. Beds were made daily, and clean towels provided daily. Breakfasts were English AND continental ....all of it delicious. I never thought I'd enjoy beans for breakfast, but it was surprisingly tasty! "Bangers" were great.....and who would have thought of eating broiled tomatoes for breakfast?? YUM!!! Even cooked mushrooms were excellent.. Although it was all unusual for an American, it was very good. Our rooms were very large, as well as the bathroom. Dang, I forgot to bring home my rubber duckie that they give you!!! Every afternoon about 4 they serve up some cheeses, crackers (of course they got me some gluten-free crackers) fruits, wine, and cookies. Loved the inn, the food, and especially Joyce and Lynn!!! Keep up the good work!!! And thank you for everything!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
joycelynn, Owner at Uphill House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you ever so much for the review, we appreciate all you said! Remember what we said to you and the family; this is our lifestyle, we love it and thank all of our guests for making this possible!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here two nights over the long Veterans' Day weekend. This is a lovely bed and breakfast, sitting atop a hill and fully surrounded by forest. The setting is beautiful. Our hosts, Joyce and Lynn, were gracious, generous, and accommodating--making this bed and breakfast very warm and welcoming.

The rooms are spacious, immaculate, and nicely decorated. The large common area for guests has books, games, television, and a fireplace. The dining room is quite nice, and the breakfasts are hearty and delicious, including "light fare," such as fruit, cereal, yogurt, granola, and homemade pastries in addition to the full English breakfast! In the late afternoon, Joyce and Lynn provide wine, an array of cheeses, crackers, fruit, and pastries. And their wonderful cookies are out 24 hours a day. Added to all of this are some exquisite small touches: homemade chocolates in the room, cookies at turndown, and lovely soaps.

We hope to return to the Charlottesville area, and this is the place we would stay. Joyce and Lynn are innkeepers par excellence!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Uphill House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!