“Soggy Weather Stay but Pleasant”

Shenandoah Crossing
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gordonsville
Reviewed October 15, 2006

I recently visited Shenandoah Crossing with my wife and son. We are Bluegreen owners and have stayed here before many times. We stayed in a cabin. For those disparaging this resort, it appeared that many stayed in the hotel section of the property. My recollection is that the hotel rooms are very similar to a low to mid priced hotel/motel room with minimal amenities. We only stayed in that section once, the first time we visited, and made our initial purchase. I do know, that if I were visiting, I would try very hard to get a cabin rather than a room in the Lodge, as it's called. The pluses to staying at the lodge is the proximity to the pools, the game room, exercise room and the restaurant.

When we stay here now, we always either stay in a cabin or a townhouse and we have generally been very satisfied. Minor issues do crop up every now and then. Our most recent stay was pleasant but unfortunately, it rained the day we checked in, our one full day there and, of course, cleared up on the day we checked out. The cabins are situated in the woods and if you are careful and make your reservations early, you can get cabins with a lake view. Our son enjoys the swimming pool and game room. We usually play ping pong ourselves and we bring our own paddles and balls. I believe you can pick up relatively basic paddles from the activity desk for free and pay $0.25 per ball which you then keep.

For those who like horseback riding, this is available. There are tennis courts, a playground, a fairly simple put put golf course, a race track for remote controlled cars and a marina as well as a ball field and a basketball court. We sometimes bring our own inflatable boats and so haven't used the resort's boats in a while. You can also fish on the lake. Also, there is an 18 hole golf course on the other side of the lake. When we first purchased, this was part of the resort. It has since been spun off but, I believe, is still available for public use and there may be a discount for people staying at the resort, you would need to ask at the activities desk or when you check in. For those who like hiking, mountains and waterfalls, etc., US-33 west goes directly to Shenandoah National Park. We often hike there when we stay at Shenandoah Crossing.

When we stay at Shenandoah Crossing we usually eat in, as the cabins and townhouses have full kitchens. When we eat out, we usually go to downtown Gordonsville, where a few good restaurants are located. One is the Tolliver house, and there is another restaurant across the street from the Tolliver house that we like as well whose name I cannot remember. There was a small french restaurant in Gordonsville that is closed, at least temporarilty, due to a fire. If you are looking for more food choices, downtown Charlottesville is only 25 - 30 minutes away by car and Orange also has a reasonable selection and is about 30 - 40 minutes away.

We like this resort as our son almost always has a good time. In our cabin, they have upgraded the entertainment system so it plays both DVD's and Video tapes and the rooms are cozy and comfortable. Depending on the cabin/townhouse, you either get a charcoal or gas grill and similarly either a wood or gas fireplace. A lumber mill, nearby, sells wet firewood for a reasonable price. Make sure you have a lot of kindling as it can be a bit difficult to get this firewood to light. The lumber mill is on US-33 before the intersection with US-15 heading towards Gordonsville from the resort and is on the right side of US-33 heading away from the resort. There are grocery stores in Gordonsville and Louisa. We have not been overly impressed by the restaurant scene in Louisa in the past but we haven't visited there in a while.

I believe this is considered a regional resort for Bluegreen. They have been slowly upgrading the property since we've been owners, which is good. We have been quite happy with this resort in particular and Bluegreen in general. We stayed on October 6th, 7th and checked out on the 8th of 2006.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank traveler2828

Reviewed September 18, 2006

I worte a review on the Gordonsville forum but will just say that this is a pleasant place for a relaxing vacation. The free horseback riding for Bluegreen owners was a real plus.

I would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2006

My In-laws, wife, two kids and myself just returned from a two night stay at Shenandoah crossing on our way home from North Myrtle beach. We stayed in a two bedroom cabin with plenty of room, but only one bathroom. It was rustic but nice and tucked back into the woods. The grounds at the resort are beautifully kept and the resort offers plenty of activities and ammenities that will ensure all a comfortable stay. My wife and I went on an beautiful early morning horseback ride. We sent my in-laws on a horse and carriage ride that they really enjoyed. The kids rode the pony and played with "butters" the kitten and the black goat who thinks it's a horse. We also took in a hay wagon ride and rented a pontoon ($15 an hour) that was very relaxing and memorable. The swimming facilities are nice with a large outdoor pool and an indoor pool, as well as, a kiddy pool outside. The resort had a very good live band on saturday afternoon that was very entertaining. The kids enjoyed the minigolf and the playground equipment also. Wish we could have stayed longer, but am sure we will go back. Next time we will stay in a three bedroom townhome for more room. David and the staff at the horse barn were very hospitable and you could tell that they enjoyed what they were doing. However the people at the activity department at the main lodge were rude and seemed lazy. (young help- get a different job if you don't like what you're doing). Overall and exceptional stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank djkrolow
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My family owns a building lot at Shenandoah Crossing Resort so we are able to stay at the lodge for a mere $32 a night, Even if we weren't offered this great rate, we would travel to Shen. Crossing again and again. We've stayed at the lodge many times now with varied degrees of satisfaction. The lodge is simple, but comfortable. The staff is always friendly and willing to correct any problems that arise, The rooms are your garden variety hotel room with one or two queen beds. Bathrooms are small but clean. Sometimes the rooms are a little musty, but this is the country and you are in the mountains. The restaurant offers decent food at reasonable prices. If you don't mind the simple accomodations, you will be rewarded with one of the most beautiful resorts I've seen. The 60 acre lake, horseback riding, golf and family activities are wonderful. The scenery is awesome. My husband and I enjoy sitting on the deck overlooking the lake, star gazing and listening to the seranade of the night animals. Last night we saw numerous shooting stars and had to dodge a wayward skunk that had wandered too close to the lodge. Paddleboats, rowboats and pontoon boats are free for owners and available to guests for a small price. The horses at the stable are beautiful. We intend to build our retirement home at Shen. Crossing after we get the kids out of college. I can't wait to spend more than an occasional long weekend at this hidden gem. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank NBlackmon
Reviewed June 28, 2006

Stayed at Shenandoah Crossings for two nights after purchasing the package from Bass Pro (had to attend the two-hour "vacation club" presentation). Upon arrival, we were put in a room at the lodge. The room was small, we had a view of the air conditioner and another wall. There was hair all over the bathroom floor and our shoes stuck to the floor as you walked - reminded me of walking in a movie theater. I heard another lodge guest complain of the same dirty bathroom in his room as well. As I was returning to my room on the first morning, all the housekeeping staff was gathered in my room making fun of the "sound machine" I had placed on top of the refrigerator (there were no other plugs to use). I am a very light sleeper and have to use this to drown out the typical hotel noises. I really didn't appreciate their rudeness at all and reported this to the clerk at the front desk who was very apologetic.
On our first night, we ate dinner at the restaurant and the first four things we ordered they either no longer served or were out of. When we did finally find something they had, the food was just okay - except for the Mushroom soup - it was some of the best I have ever had, but of course, they ran out of this also.
It seemed like all the activities we tried to enjoy on the first day were either broken or booked (we had to stay longer on our final day to be able to use our horseback riding vouchers). Both of the treadmills were broken (they were being replaced as we left), the air hockey game kept eating the hockey puck, the canopy on the paddle boat was broken and we had to tie it with rope, the paddles on the boats fell apart just as we got to the far side of the lake, and the remote control car batteries could not be charged because there was a conference going on upstairs that was using the power strip. The activities staff are to be commended for trying to make the best of what they had to deal with - they were very apologetic and tried to help out everywhere they could.
Things finally started getting better on our second night at the "resort". We played miniature golf (although several of the holes had standing water on them) and were finally able to use the remote control cars ($5 surcharge each). On the final day, I actually enjoyed the horseback ride more than I thought I would.
I usually check all my hotels on this website before I make reservations and for some reason never thought to check this one - I wish I had so I would have known what to expect! If you only want to relax, then this may be a place you would consider. However, even if that is all I wanted to do on my next vacation, I would never return to Shenandoah Crossings! I would think that Bluegreen would do a better job of keeping up their resorts if that is what they are using to get people to buy into their "club" (they stress many times that this is not a timeshare). The salesman was very nice during the sales pitch (as expected), but the "closer" was pretty rude when I stressed to her that I was not interested in buying into their vacation club. If this is a representation of a typical Bluegreen resort then there is no amount of money that would get me to buy into it! I have to add that I am a little suspect of some of the glowing comments posted here about this "resort". Use your own discretion when considering Shenandoah Crossings!

• Stayed: June 2006
12  Thank Tracy01
A TripAdvisor Member
Flintville, Tn
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My family and I are Bluegreen owners and have stayed at several Bluegreen resorts. We decided to go to Shenandoah Crossing for some relaxing and fishing. We absolutely loved the place. We had a townhome that was very clean. The kitchen had everything needed to cook complete meals; the bedrooms were clean and comfortable; it felt like home away from home. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and looked exactly as expected from the pictures. My daughter took a picture of the horses with the lodge in the background that could be used as an advertisement for the place. We didn't have to ask for anything from the staff; it was all there for us. The swimming pool (indoor and out) was perfect. The towels provided were very small, about the size of a hand towel. We just brought some bath towels from the townhome when we went swimming the next time. My daughter and I walked to the stables and were amazed at how friendly the horses were. They just came up to the fence to be petted. Oh, if you go anytime soon, look for the most adorable kitten named "Butters". She will steal your heart. We got a few ticks off us that night, but afterall we were walking in grass and wooded areas.
There is a little travel involved if you want to go to a theme park or see something besides wineries, farm country, and old homes. If you came to Shenandoah to relax then you came to the right place. We loved to sit out on the balcony at sunset and listen to the birds, crickets, ducks, and geese begin their nightly lullaby.
Shenandoah is not the place for those who need a little more excitement, but it is the right place for those who need to slow down. Some may say that because my family are aBluegreen owners that I am biased. No, if I really didn't like the place, I would say so. My family and I were very glad we visited Shenandoah Crossing and would gladly travel the close to 700 miles to go again.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Gettysburg, Pa.
Reviewed May 15, 2006

My husband and I visited Shenandoah Crossings Resort for our 21st Anniversary. We found the room adequate and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful.The grounds were very beautiful and peacful. The lounge was quaint and the restaurant was adequate. I would recommend this resort as a great get-away for anyone who likes to relax and enjoy life. We visited the local shops and winery in Gordonsville and found everyone to be very friendly. We espically enjoyed our visit to the 007 Cafe. Very quaint little place. We will return to Shenandoah Crossings Resort and the Gordonville area again.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordonsville
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello
#20 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Courtyard Charlottesville North
Courtyard Charlottesville North
#21 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Shenandoah Crossing? Share your experiences!