“Friendly staff”

Shenandoah Crossing
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gordonsville
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there with family for 2 nights. The grounds are nice and the staff is friendly. Horseback riding was cancelled due to rain but we had fun anyway. We rented a pontoon which was a blast! The person before us was quite late getting the boat back and to make up for it the staff gave us the boat free of charge. The pool was nice with 2 hot tubs. It's a shame the indoor pool and restaurant was closed due to fire. We ate at the store which was a pleasant surprise! I figured the food would be overpriced and awful but I was wrong! The prices were fair and the food was amazing! My only complaint would be the cost of the cabins. I feel they ask way to much for what it is. It was nice, clean and well kept but overpriced nonetheless.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank gnatc26

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Best things about resort - Proximity to Monticello, Montpelier and Ash Lawn-Highland
Best attractions or restaurants nearby - Monticello, Montpelier and Ash Lawn-Highland; Monticello Wine Trail; Stonefire Station café near Barboursville Vineyards; Food Lion close by to get snacks and personal necessities for unit

Internet service is completely inadequate for most of today's travelers. Since this a website, I'll assume that is important to TA readers/travellers. The internet provider happened to come by our unit and the service coming into the property for approximately 300 cabins, yurts, chalets and RV sites is less than a tenth of what we have coming into our single family home. Accessing our 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and 1 iPad at the resort was extremely painful. We drove to the Food Lion parking lot in order to use my ATT cellphone data plan as a "hotspot" so we could perform some absolutely critical tasks on our laptops.
Location, location, location is the most important thing in real estate. This resort is located in an area with negligible ATT cell service which means it is not a good property for any ATT cell customer who thinks they may want to make a call during their vacation.
We did a RCI timeshare (usually condos or cabins) exchange into this resort. This is an interesting property in that it includes multiple types of living units - 140 cabins, 30 yurts, 8 chalets and 120 RV sites in addition to some wilderness tent sites. The first thing you see when you enter the property is an RV park.
Property is older and many units are outdated and a little worse for wear, including the one we were assigned. Apparently, non "Blue-Green" owner RCI members don't have access to a newer, nicer part of Shenandoah Crossing. Our 2 bedroom cabin had only 1 bath for 6 potential guests.
No laundry in units, the laundry facility had 2 broken washers out of 6 and everyone wanted to do laundry at the same time.
Due to a March 2013 fire, the restaurant and some other amenities were not available.

Room Tip: Apparently, there is a newer, nicer part of this "Blue-Green" Shenandoah Crossing timeshar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1spoiledgirl
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Had to check out a day early due to sickness.
I was not able to talk to anyone about a partial refund,I was told I needed to talk to someone
else not on site.
That person only had voice mail,so still waiting to here back 4 days later.
No reinbursement so far.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alan M
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had a wonderful weekend at Shenandoah Crossing resort. This resort is very scenic. We stayed in a 2 bedroom yurt. Four of us loved the yurt. It was a very unique experience. The nomads had a wonderful idea. The resort has many activities for all ages. They have a very friendly staff. The resort is very clean. It is a place that we will return to.

Room Tip: Yurt are very nice but not in the summer months.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank myjd65
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Shenandoah Crossing is hidden gem if you are looking for a quiet and very laid back family vacation out in the sticks. The grounds are pretty and the pool area is great. We booked a Yurt and wow, what a neat novelty. Canvas tent on the outside, luxury cabin on the inside. Very cool concept--the temperature of the yurt? Eh, not so much. We booked in July when the temperatures were hitting record setting highs and walking into the yurt was like walking into a sauna (literally, you could smell the heat coming off the wood floors.) To make matters worse, our two year fell ill within 2 hours of checking in. His skin was hot, flushed and clammy. He became lethargic and inconsolable. I called the front desk to relay our plight and several others staying in yurts must've had the same complaint regarding the heat. The air conditioning simply couldn't keep up. But they took into consideration our child's illness and they were willing to transfer us to a 2 bedroom cabin. The cabin was nowhere even close to being as nicely appointed as the yurt. But when we were welcomed with blast of cold air walking through the door, I couldn't have cared less that the cabin was outdated or a little run down. We ended up having an amazing weekend and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tiffs2CentsOnTravels
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I made reservations for 1 night at the hotel. The price was absolutely great. Meanwhile before our trip the hotel caught fire. I was in a panick since there were no hotels in Charlottesville (all were booked up). The resort put everyone that had booked a room in cabins. The cabins are very nice and well maintained. I did not get to explore around the resort since it was dark when I arrived. I did however get to see some of the ammenties the next morning. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. I do plan on booking us a trip there again where we can spend more time on the property. I think it is wonderful that they have horseback riding there on the property.

Room Tip: The cabins are very well maintained. Very comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank SharonW1963
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed in a grand yurt - wonderful, but we also took a peek at the two bedroom cabin renovations and they are beautiful. They will have a sleek, modern, but country feel when finished. We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin a few years back and I literally couldn't believe it was the same place. What a difference a kitchen table bench makes, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new sofa, and new comfy chair make. The bedrooms were beautifully appointed as well and the bath is to die for. Shenandoah Crossing is doing a great thing in renovating their two bedroom cabins. There was a fire in the lodge in March of 2013 so that building will look great when it is reopened and renovated as well. The 3 bedroom cabins are really nice, too. I brought carrots to feed the horses housed on property. We headed to Richmond 80 miles away and did the Museum of the Confederacy and toured Jefferson Davis' home. Another day we headed to Fredericksburg 45 minutes away and toured the battlefields, and two days we headed to D.C. 2 1/2 hours away and toured the monuments, memorials, capitol, supreme court building, etc...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nuftravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordonsville
Best Western Plus Crossroads Inn & Suites
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesv...
#12 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Shenandoah Crossing? Share your experiences!