“Stay in a chalet”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gordonsville
State of Confusion
“Stay in a chalet”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I came to Shenandoah Crossing in September of 2012 and stayed in a two bedroom cabin. It was okay but a little dated looking. We decided to come back in March and stayed in a chalet (online booking shows this room type as a villa) and it is much nicer than the cabin. We went through a tour the last time we were here and went through the yurt. While the shape of the yurt is cool, I actually prefer the chalet. Our 1 bedroom had a full kitchen, washer and dryer combo, fireplace and overhead fans in the bedroom and the main room. We had plenty of parking, as well. While we were here, we went to the pool area and enjoyed dinner at the Tavern. The pool area was clean but the hot tub can get really hot if you are sitting by a jet. I had the meatloaf dinner and my husband had the pork chop. Both entrees were very tasty. The onion soup is delicious. All the staff that we've dealt with were super wonderful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank OwlTrippin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in the open plan yurt and it was wonderful - everything worked well, stayed warm even though we went in the winter, and enjoyed the property. Seems a bit out of the way, but plenty do do within a 30-45 minute drive through the VA countryside, and Gordonsville VA is only 15 minutes away and has some great restaurants.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are staying on the new side of the resort - the older side has not been renovated...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcjwm
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed in the grand yurt with the second smaller unit not being used at all as our babysitter back out after we booked. We loved the yurt, it was very cozy and beautifully appointed for this type of stay. We were here in the slow season and it was quite cool, but still quite a few things to do with putt putt, play grounds, hot tubs, indoor heated pool, game room, gym, etc. Also, all the animals! You can ride the horses, ponies, carriages, pet the turkey, watch the geese, guiniees, chickens.
Plus, make sure you take time to visit our country's heritage spots so close by. We bought a President's Pass ticket for 33.00 per adult at the Michie Tavern that you use there, Jefferson's Monticello and James Monroe's Highland. These have no expiration date and have coupons for other places on the back. We loved seeing these and learning all the facts about these great men. Well worth the money and not far at all. Plus take time to have lunch at the tavern for a great home style buffet served by period costumed servers with all you want to eat.
Everyone at this resort has been great and I highly recommend it. Great relaxing time.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might not want to stay in a yurt. They are more like a tent with ho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank rnewberry
So MD
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had to cancel our reservation and the desk clerk was not helpful to the point of being quite snippy. I asked for a manager and she hung up on me. Not once but twice. The location may be great but I won't be spending my hard earned money in a place where the staff is poorly trained and not customer oriented. I would have traded for another weekend but she was so rude I never got an opportunity to negotiate an alternative.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mary U
Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My fiance, daughter and i stayed in one over the weekend, it was very cold outside so we spent alot of time inside, the Yurts are very beautiful inside, smallish and cozy for a family. All the applanices worked perfectly, kitchen was small and convient to work in. Beds were a delight to sleep in, shower was huge.

Room Tip: Absolutely love the Yurts, but be prepared to hear some noise from your neighbors, have very nice la...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Victoria B
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Cabins are old but manageable ;) it cud be much cleaner ...had problems with the dishwasher but the maintanence staff were very helpful ...stay was good... No bugs ... Tat was the best part...furniture is old... Cabins need renovations ... Linens were clean..

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Divinw
Seattle
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friend and I were very delighted with our stay at Shenandoah Crossing! I booked our trip using RCI exchange points and we were assigned a cute and cozy two-bedroom cabin. I suspect that ours was one of the older, non-renovated cabins, but I base this mostly on what's been said by other RCI exchangers. I found the cabin to be entirely up to my (admittedly lenient) standards of style and cleanliness. The unit supplied us with a TV/DVD player, a portable CD player, and a spaghetti strainer, which was really all we needed. I can see why others have complained about the cabins being small, however. This one was more than adequate for two people, but would have felt crowded if packed with the allowed six occupants. I saw nary a bug in our unit, which was a little disappointing. I'm fascinated by insects, and I don't mind sharing accommodations with the harmless critters.

The staff at Shenandoah Crossing are amazingly friendly and helpful. In my companion's words: "They are so nice that it's almost too much." When we locked ourselves out of our cabin, a staff member cheerfully showed up to rescue us. Also, when we called the front desk to ask about laundry detergent, they delivered the soap right to our door instead of merely saying "Look in the closet of the second bedroom, stupid."

What impressed me most about this resort was the vast number of free activities: swimming pool, horse shoes, tennis, playground, mini-golf, tether ball, game room, etc. Since the area is so remote, it's important to have stuff to do on-site, and this place has it! Because we stayed for only 3 nights, my friend and I did not try boating or fishing, but we did enjoy a leisurely horseback ride (for a fee) in the surrounding countryside. Because there are so many kid-friendly activities at Shenandoah Crossing, and because Virginia weather is still nice in the fall, I have already booked a cabin for next October. I plan to take my cousin's family on vacation with me, so we'll soon be finding out how crowded the cabins are when six people are staying in them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mckenzie F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordonsville
Best Western Plus Crossroads Inn & Suites
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Charlottesville - UVA, VA
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson,...
#13 of 35 in Charlottesville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville

Been to Shenandoah Crossing? Share your experiences!