“Excellent getaway in scenic central Virginia”

Shenandoah Crossing
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gordonsville
Charlottesville, VA
“Excellent getaway in scenic central Virginia”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in the open plan yurt and it was wonderful - everything worked well, stayed warm even though we went in the winter, and enjoyed the property. Seems a bit out of the way, but plenty do do within a 30-45 minute drive through the VA countryside, and Gordonsville VA is only 15 minutes away and has some great restaurants.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are staying on the new side of the resort - the older side has not been renovated...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcjwm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed in the grand yurt with the second smaller unit not being used at all as our babysitter back out after we booked. We loved the yurt, it was very cozy and beautifully appointed for this type of stay. We were here in the slow season and it was quite cool, but still quite a few things to do with putt putt, play grounds, hot tubs, indoor heated pool, game room, gym, etc. Also, all the animals! You can ride the horses, ponies, carriages, pet the turkey, watch the geese, guiniees, chickens.
Plus, make sure you take time to visit our country's heritage spots so close by. We bought a President's Pass ticket for 33.00 per adult at the Michie Tavern that you use there, Jefferson's Monticello and James Monroe's Highland. These have no expiration date and have coupons for other places on the back. We loved seeing these and learning all the facts about these great men. Well worth the money and not far at all. Plus take time to have lunch at the tavern for a great home style buffet served by period costumed servers with all you want to eat.
Everyone at this resort has been great and I highly recommend it. Great relaxing time.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might not want to stay in a yurt. They are more like a tent with ho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank rnewberry
So MD
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had to cancel our reservation and the desk clerk was not helpful to the point of being quite snippy. I asked for a manager and she hung up on me. Not once but twice. The location may be great but I won't be spending my hard earned money in a place where the staff is poorly trained and not customer oriented. I would have traded for another weekend but she was so rude I never got an opportunity to negotiate an alternative.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mary U
Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My fiance, daughter and i stayed in one over the weekend, it was very cold outside so we spent alot of time inside, the Yurts are very beautiful inside, smallish and cozy for a family. All the applanices worked perfectly, kitchen was small and convient to work in. Beds were a delight to sleep in, shower was huge.

Room Tip: Absolutely love the Yurts, but be prepared to hear some noise from your neighbors, have very nice la...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Victoria B
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Cabins are old but manageable ;) it cud be much cleaner ...had problems with the dishwasher but the maintanence staff were very helpful ...stay was good... No bugs ... Tat was the best part...furniture is old... Cabins need renovations ... Linens were clean..

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Divinw
Seattle
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friend and I were very delighted with our stay at Shenandoah Crossing! I booked our trip using RCI exchange points and we were assigned a cute and cozy two-bedroom cabin. I suspect that ours was one of the older, non-renovated cabins, but I base this mostly on what's been said by other RCI exchangers. I found the cabin to be entirely up to my (admittedly lenient) standards of style and cleanliness. The unit supplied us with a TV/DVD player, a portable CD player, and a spaghetti strainer, which was really all we needed. I can see why others have complained about the cabins being small, however. This one was more than adequate for two people, but would have felt crowded if packed with the allowed six occupants. I saw nary a bug in our unit, which was a little disappointing. I'm fascinated by insects, and I don't mind sharing accommodations with the harmless critters.

The staff at Shenandoah Crossing are amazingly friendly and helpful. In my companion's words: "They are so nice that it's almost too much." When we locked ourselves out of our cabin, a staff member cheerfully showed up to rescue us. Also, when we called the front desk to ask about laundry detergent, they delivered the soap right to our door instead of merely saying "Look in the closet of the second bedroom, stupid."

What impressed me most about this resort was the vast number of free activities: swimming pool, horse shoes, tennis, playground, mini-golf, tether ball, game room, etc. Since the area is so remote, it's important to have stuff to do on-site, and this place has it! Because we stayed for only 3 nights, my friend and I did not try boating or fishing, but we did enjoy a leisurely horseback ride (for a fee) in the surrounding countryside. Because there are so many kid-friendly activities at Shenandoah Crossing, and because Virginia weather is still nice in the fall, I have already booked a cabin for next October. I plan to take my cousin's family on vacation with me, so we'll soon be finding out how crowded the cabins are when six people are staying in them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mckenzie F
Hobbs, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The five families (4 siblings families and grandparents) all stayed in cabins on the property. We had three 2 bedroom cabins, and one 1 bedroom bungalow.

My families cabin had been recently renovated, and felt very open and modern. My husband and I had a nice big bed, and the 3 kids crammed into the other bedroom. It looked like they're slowly updating one cabin at a time.

Full kitchen had all the necessary equipment, and the Food Lion is only about 10 minutes away even though this property is out in the country.

The pool areas were great for families, a splash area for toddlers, some heated pools and some not, and an indoor heated pool that was good for the unseasonably cold June weather we had. There were 6 in our group under the age of 4, so the heated indoor pool was great.

The adults and teens took turns on kayaks around the small lake, and that was a nice relaxing experience.

My preschool daughter had fun doing one of the craft activities... but you have to reserve a spot a day ahead of time. And when my husband took her, he said it was overcrowded and they ran out of supplies anyway and had to get more for her.

We went into Charlottestville a couple times that week for activities. (The children's museum and Thomas Jefferson's estate at Monticello.) The drive isn't that bad, and very scenic.

Con: There's only blinds up on the windows of the bedrooms, and they are hung up outside the window frame. So the sunlight was extremely bothersome in the mornings.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated cabin.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kara L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordonsville
Best Western Plus Crossroads Inn & Suites
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Stanardsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville

Been to Shenandoah Crossing? Share your experiences!