“Fantastic Cabin Experience”
other travelers have booked this property
Kitchen Dining table
Dining table
All-weather Sunroom
Master bedroom
Master bathroom
Full bed with attached bath
Queen
Private pond
View of the house from the pond
Dock at the pond
Hot tub
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Ian B
“Fantastic Cabin Experience”
Reviewed July 31, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

We selected this cabin for a low-key bachelor party weekend, and we chose well. This cabin came very close to perfection for what we wanted. It's deep enough in the woods for a secluded and rural experience, but close enough to town to get any supplies we needed or forgot to bring with us. The building itself was enormous and beautiful, particularly inside. There was ample space for us to spin off into small groups for separate activities. Particular high points:

-The upstairs theater was definitely put through its paces. There was a group of people watching bad action movies on the large TV pretty much 24/7.

-The owners were helpful and understanding. There was a minor issue with the refrigerator on our first day, and they drove out to fix it early on the second. By then, the problem had resolved itself, but they waved off the inconvenience.

-The porch has a great view and a ton of space, which we used constantly

-The pool table in the downstairs game room was a big hit

But really it was the totality of the thing that made it so great for what we needed, and would make it ideally suited for any large gathering that might involve different simultaneous activities as well as large communal ones.

I should say that the cabin may not be ideally suited for everyone. If you need to be plugged in to phone or internet, maybe look elsewhere -- cell reception is nonexistent and the satellite internet was quite slow. We viewed this as a strong positive: it was a relief to be disconnected from outside troubles for a few days. But your needs may vary.

In summary, we loved the place and I absolutely intend to use it again if the occasion arises.

Traveling group: Large Group
227larry0...
Durham, North Carolina
“Awesome”
Reviewed May 31, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

This is our 4th time rental this cabin, very quiet and secluded location. Perfect for a family reunion, gathering.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cleaniness, location.
Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway Large groups
RoDonna B
“Remote and quiet”
Reviewed June 7, 2015 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

For our 3rd annual couples trip we decided to try this home. The home details were true. Before arriving the customer service received was great. Upon arriving there alot of no trespassing signs from the neighbors, you will feel like you are in the wrong place, esp since gps has you arriving before you do.

The rooms were surface clean and the master bedroom and bath is beautiful. Hot tub was properly treated and nice. Its alot of wildlife and extremely dark at night. You feel like you are in the deep woods. Cell phone reception was a hit or miss depending on service provider. So touch base with whomever you need to before arriving. The wifi is so slow, dont bother using that as backup. In town, there are plenty of stores, you feel like you have arrived back in the city. You have access to everything you need from gas, groceries, even some mall shopping.
The movie area was a nice bonus and the owners were kind enough to put togethera book on how to operate the cable and projector.

I asked before booking if you could swim in the pond/lake, was told of course its nice. However, getting there was highly disappointed. The pond was green, murky waters, who would want to get in that water. The drain in the bathroom upstairs and downstairs, was clogged and slow. The husband came right out stated that they knew about the drain. The kitchen sink was leaking underneath and said he couldn't fix the drain until next week. A friend of mine had written down the other minor problems they saw and informed the husband. We thought everything was fine, it was a lil wear and tear and they didnt thoroughly clean by a professional between guest.

After the trip and i left a decent review giving the owners the benefit of the doubt, the owner decided not to return our security deposit citing that the drain problem was our fault. We only stayed the weekend what did adults only do to the drain showering for a weekend. The stove had a crack on it, which we mentioned to the husband but was accused of that too. There was a deflated basketball in the driveway and we got accused of that although there were no kids and it rained majority of the time during our stay. Once i told the wife that the home couldnt have been professionally cleaned like stated before our visit because the drain problems in the bathroom, the kitchen sink leaking upon arrival, the basketball, you would have known about it. She claimed she is the professional who cleans so she knew everything. So why was the drains your husband admitted to not fixed.

Unfortunately the issue wasnt resolved and i have to take them to court to get my money back. Luckily it was 6 couples so I have witnesses on my side.

The home was reasonable cost, quiet area, looks nice, i just wouldn't bother with the scandalous owners. We had stayed in 4 properties before this and never had these management problems. I would suggest taking pictures before and after to protect yourself.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The large cabin feel, master bath and hot tub
Liked least: Blamed for the previous guest mistakes
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Families with young children
Management Response
Jun 19, 2015
Dear Guest,
You reported that the “pond was green, murky waters, who would want to get in that water”. Several guests have enjoyed swimming in our pond, it is a natural water source however and we do not “treat” the pond in any way. After storms (and you did report there was rain much of the time you were at the house) there is some run off of the surrounding banks which can cause the water to look “murky” and during periods of high pollen the pollen settles on the pond making it look less than desirable for swimming. This may have been the issues you experienced and again, I apologize as I know that must have been disappointing.
“Unfortunately the issue wasn’t resolved and I have to take them to court to get my money back”. It is unfortunate that this issue wasn’t resolved to your satisfaction. However, I have not heard from you in over a year nor have I heard from your attorney to date. The reason we elected to keep your deposit was due to the cracked cooktop. When we contacted you regarding it, you stated that you did not know about the crack (and if this was true then when my husband was there to work on the sink you obviously did not know about it at that time in order to mention it to him as you stated above that you did.) I took pictures and allowed you to review the damage. Because it seemed to me that you truly were unaware that the cooktop had been damaged during your stay I gave you the benefit of the doubt especially since you did have to contact us in regards to the drainage issues which I know was in inconvenience to you. That benefit of the doubt kept me from charging your group for the entire cost of a new cooktop. I kept your security deposit because there was damage to my home, and I paid for the additional cost out of my own pocket. I did believe it was an accident, that it was something perhaps done on the last day when you were removing items from the refrigerator or whatever, but regardless, there was documented damage to my home and therefore I did keep your deposit. I am not sure why you chose to send this second review in a year after your stay with us but I do appreciate your initial positive review which was posted by you, immediately after your stay, stating your satisfaction with the accommodations. I do regret that you feel you were mistreated while here as I work hard to provide good customer service to our guests and to provide a quality environment for our renters.
FunDude94...
Austin, Texas
“Beautiful cabin. Very clean and secluded. Great amenities.”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

My family and I loved our time at the cabin. I wish we could have stayed longer. We will certainly try to book this home again. The master bedroom and bath were huge. The theatre room was perfect for watching sports too.

Traveling group: Extended Family
Charlottesville
Reviewed January 22, 2014 for a stay in January 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Tom O
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Outstanding Cabin”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Our family takes a one week vacation annually and this cabin was by far the nicest accommodations we have had in the past six years. We had 13 people ranging from 3 to 70 years of age. We all were very comfortable in the whole house. The master bedroom and bath was beautiful and quite comfortable. The game room was a hit with the youngsters and unlike many game rooms, the equipment was well maintained. The hunting decor was a big hit with all of us especially the hunters. The pond was very well stocked with bass and bream and even the youngest caught fish. Each day we did something different and every place was close to us. The Natural Bridge (NB) Safari Park was very enjoyable, the NB Zoo was great for the youngsters and a couple of the adults even enjoyed the live elephant ride.
A day at Smith Mountain Lake proved to be fun and the fishing trip for Striped Bass was very productive. The Liberty University Ski Plex was a big hit with the teenagers. If I had to make any recommendations, I would like to have had phone coverage in case of emergencies but the WIFI helped with making outside contact. We can't wait for a return visit.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and decor
Liked least: Lack of AT&T phone reception
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
davidson5...
“Beautiful, well-appointed home in a scenic location perfect for a restful getaway!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 for a stay in October 2012

We are a group of 4 couples from Pa and South Carolina who met at this centrally located spot for a reunion weekend. The setting is beautiful and the home is nicely-appointed. The common areas are perfect for comfortable socializing - we spent many fine hours snacking, drinking, cooking and toasting around the kitchen island and more hours on the wraparound deck chatting and telling old but always funny stories!!
The beds were all comfortable, the bathrooms were spacious with great showers and towels were plentiful. The owners graciously stock essentials like toilet paper, paper towels, coffee filters, cleaning supplies, liquid soap at the sinks, etc. The kitchen appliances were in great condition and the gas grill was top-of-the-line.
There is wood everywhere (floors, ceiling beams, paneling, furniture) and it makes the whole place so cozy.
Heather was a dream to work with in setting up the weekend. She answered all questions promptly and graciously and gave us good tips on things to see and do and how to manuever around the area.
The spot is pleasantly remote and I recommend arriving in the daylight hours so you can navigate the back roads more easity, although everything is paved. We drove to the closest town within 20 minutes to go to the grocery store and enjoyed some nice antique stores. Some of the group traveled to a local state park, rented bikes and rode an a gorgious Rails to Trails bike path.
There is WiFi, but we could only access it on the bottom floor. Totally enjoyed the theater room. Might have been nice to have small TVs in the bedrooms for those who like that sort of relaxation at night.
Would 100% return with family or friends again!

Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
Nov 1, 2012
Thank you for your great review and we appreciate our guests leaving such glowing comments! I agree that TV's in each bedroom would be a luxury, however, our current satellite provider provides only enough signals for a TV in the master bedroom, the game room and the theater area. We will continue to update as our provider offers upgrades to their products. Thank you for your visit and come again soon! ~Heather
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing