Visit: a friend's semi-formal wedding.
I recommend it for a quiet weekend getaway, but not as a wedding venue.
As an Inn-
- Breakfast: Baked goods were delicious. Chef/cook was friendly and attentive.
- Main house: Common areas and 2nd-floor guestrooms are charming and pristine. The jungle/lodge-themed room at the top floor fine for families but odd for others.
- Suite/Carriage House: More of an overflow room than a comfortable retreat. No shower, just a tub with hand-held shower attachment. Beetles in the living room area (not the CDs, the insects), otherwise clean. Decor is dated, not historic.
- NOTE: There is wifi in the main house, NOT in the carriage house.
As a Wedding / Event Venue:
- beautiful grounds, especially in autumn
- charming event spaces inside main house
- catering service (see below); maybe the fees are too reasonable?
- inconvenience of remote location
They probably don't allow outside caterers. Otherwise, hire one who will staff adequately and avoid glaring gaffes:
- services: They discourage hiring pro event planners yet they don’t provide event coordination service. Friend of bride handled cueing, coordination and problem-management on-site. CFP staff sets up tables, prepares and serves food, and provides basic set-up of favors/etc. Don't expect more.
- CFP staff actually put tip jars on the bars!
- Beer not poured; bottles issued to guests even at dinner bar. (Ok for backyard BBQs, not weddings.)
- Soccer-game plastic orange bev dispenser at dinner bar
- No linens on tall cocktail tables (metal rental tables). Didn’t see utensils at cocktail reception.
- No table service. Sure, it was a buffet dinner, but the staff didn't even pre-serve water. Instead, they set a sports-bar plastic water jug at each table. The jugs made interesting salad dressing dispensers at the buffet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come enjoy the romance, comfort and historic charm of Clover Forest Plantation, a central Virginia Bed & Breakfast and Country Inn. Nestled in a pristine environment of immense natural beauty this peaceful, tranquil and unspoiled place is thought by some to possess healing properties and inspire feelings of well being. It is a haven in an otherwise frenetic world.Consisting of lovely landscaped grounds, a private lake, and a federal period mansion with portions dating back to pre-revolutionary America, this private estate is selectively and graciously opened to the public for very special events. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Clover Forest Plantation Goochland, Virginia