“Really Has Gone Downhill”
Review of River's Inn Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
River's Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Casual waterfront dining awaits you at the River's Inn Restaurant and Crab Deck in Gloucester Point. Executive Chef Robert Iaccarino brings you local culinary delight with cajun flare in a cozy atmosphere. We feature daily lunch and dinner specials from Chef Iaccarino, a recent transplant from New Orleans, he serves up local favorites as well as some creole staples. Now Including gluten free options and Vegetarian selections!
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I used to LOVE eating at the Crab Deck. However, over the past few years with the turnover in Management the restaurant has really gone downhill very quickly. This past week I returned and was hopeful for some great food and a fabulous atmosphere. The atmosphere there is always great as it is a pretty Marina and you can do some people and boat watching while you eat and chat. Unfortunately I brought a few family members with us this time and it was very embarrassing. We ordered our drinks which are always good; they always have a good selection of beer on tap. Unfortunately they don’t serve glass on the deck so drinking a martini out of a plastic cup never tastes the same and they no longer have Blue Cheese stuffed olives like they once did. I ordered the sashimi grade Ahi Tuna sandwich. I requested that it be barely seared and very rare. It came back to me cooked within an inch of its life and I had to send it back. The second on came back rarer but still not seared. My husband ordered a bowl of She-crab soup and instead a bowl of the Gumbo of The Moment arrived. The waitress apologized and had to return to get the correct soup but left the gumbo. After trying a spoonful I almost gagged. What it lacked in flavor it made up for in salt content. I have been to New Orleans several times and I realize that the cured sausages and meats are salty but salt was definitely added to this recipe. I don’t think the chef tasted it this time around. The She Crab soup wasn't much better as there was so much Sherry in it. It was a good quality sherry but not being given the option choose to add alcohol isn't the way it is traditionally done in Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay areas. My sister ordered the Iceberg Wedge, which wasn't a wedge but a half of an iceberg head which would have been fine but it was turned smooth side up so when the dressing was poured over it; it looked like a head of lettuce in soup. It is supposed to be turned sliced side up so the dressing gets into the crevices and every bite of the salad is already perfectly dressed. My sister's fiancé ordered the BLT. The bacon looked very funny, like it was Turley bacon almost. He said it was very dry and it cut up the roof of his mouth. I was very embarrassed that I took guests here and very sad that the food made me this disappointed. I don't think I will be returning for the food.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

A group of six of us had a wonderful lunch here recently. Inside is spacious with a wall of windows looking out to the boats. The interior is light and airy. The food was excellent - we all had a seafood sandwich of some kind. Prices for those were about $10/each. The server was extremely friendly and helpful.
We did not sit in the outside section since it was about 100 out, but there is plenty of room to dine outside (again, right near the water) and the outside bar looks like it could be a fun little place with music. I'd definitely return, though not if I was looking for a budget "clam shack" sort of experience. This is definitely a restaurant.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The restaurant is right on the water at the York River Yacht Haven marina across the river from Yorktown. There's an outdoor "Crab Bar", a large covered deck dining area, and a couple of indoor dining areas, all with good views of the boats and creek. It was very hot the evening we went, so we ate indoors.

The waitress was friendly but new to the job, so service was a bit haphazard. The Crispy Calamari appetizer ($10) was hot, crispy, but not very tender. The Captain's Salad ($8) was a fresh and tasty mix of greens, cranberries, croutons, cheese and red onions; we had it with the warm bacon dressing. The Bayou Classic ($26) was two wonderful crab cakes on top of fried green tomatoes and topped with a tangy brown sauce and sautéed baby shrimp, served with boiled new potatoes and green beans. It took probably half an hour to prepare (the manager came over a couple of times to apologize and explain that the sauce was made from scratch for every order) but was well worth the wait. We washed all this down with a bottle of Arido Sauvignon Blanc from Australia, a good value at $32.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Have gone to this place for many years, but not too frequently. Ever since there was a change in managment/ownership, there has been a real lack of professional service and product delivery. I like the location, but after three tries with poor food,poor service, and an ever declining atmosphere, we will not be coming back. This last time we waited an hour+ for our dinner, the orders were wrong, and the food was marginal. The soft shell crabs were one part crab and nine parts bredding and tasted like they had been fried about six hours previous to our order. Flounder was just so so. There is something wrong in the kitchen. I can forigive a bad night or so, but this has been the case for three straight visits. And the "entertainment" and clientele is no longer to our liking. I am very comfortable in a 'dock bar' setting, but something has happended here...now the entire deck is filled with boisterous drunks. Not the same clientele that existed here a few years ago. Look elsewhere.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Was able to order a late breakfast at a very reasonable price with fine service and great view of beach