“Still Struggling”

River's Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Casual waterfront dining awaits you at the River's Inn Restaurant and Crab Deck in Gloucester Point. Executive Chef Robert Iaccarino brings you local culinary delight with cajun flare in a cozy atmosphere. We feature daily lunch and dinner specials from Chef Iaccarino, a recent transplant from New Orleans, he serves up local favorites as well as some creole staples. Now Including gluten free options and Vegetarian selections!
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Have gone to this place for many years, but not too frequently. Ever since there was a change in managment/ownership, there has been a real lack of professional service and product delivery. I like the location, but after three tries with poor food,poor service, and an ever declining atmosphere, we will not be coming back. This last time we waited an hour+ for our dinner, the orders were wrong, and the food was marginal. The soft shell crabs were one part crab and nine parts bredding and tasted like they had been fried about six hours previous to our order. Flounder was just so so. There is something wrong in the kitchen. I can forigive a bad night or so, but this has been the case for three straight visits. And the "entertainment" and clientele is no longer to our liking. I am very comfortable in a 'dock bar' setting, but something has happended here...now the entire deck is filled with boisterous drunks. Not the same clientele that existed here a few years ago. Look elsewhere.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Was able to order a late breakfast at a very reasonable price with fine service and great view of beach

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Wow, I am not quite sure how to explain this but previously on Jul 16, 2011 we had what I considered a poor experience at the River's Inn Restaurant. Since it has been nearly a year and we were on that side of the water we figured we would give it another try. Our experience was excellent!

Maybe it is because we sat indoors this time versus outdoors, or our food selection was different, etc. All I can report is that truthfully, it was like visiting an entirely new place. Natasha was our server and she did an excellent job throughout our entire stay. Natasha had what I consider an above average amount of knowledge regarding the menu. She also checked in with us frequently enough but not too much.

Our food was much better also. Previously I had a steak which was of such poor quality I was simply amazed that they even served it to me. This time our dinners were based on chicken and crab cakes - we sampled each others and both of us enjoyed everything we were served.

In closing, at some point in the future I would like to visit once again and I will make sure to eat inside. Nice an comfortable, wonderful view of the water, and truly worth every penny!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Had dinner at River's Inn on 4/6/12, a Friday night. We got there early (around 5:15), got right in. Never saw more then 4 or 5 tables of people. They had an accusitical musican ( female). She was the highlight of the evening. The waitress, while very nice, was very new and it showed considerably.There were apparently several specials but we were never told of them. We only heard about them when we over heard another waiter telling the table near us while we were already eating.
We ordered the BBQ Shrimp for an app. It was suppose to come out with Crostini for dipping. We had to ask for that and the waitress had no clue what it was suppose to come with. Additionally, I was very disappointed with the fact that the shrimp came out in sticky sauce with the peel on. Who wants to peel shrimp in sauce. My husband said that was a Virginia thing but I don't ever recall that before. It might not have been so bad but the shrimp were over cooked so the peels were sticking on. After realizing that, my husband changed his mind about it being ok to leave the peels on. It was a shame because the sauce was phemonial but because of the shells on I wouldn't recommend that dish to anyone.
For our meals, I ordered the crab cakes. I was disappointed when I asked if I could substitute the vegitable of the day for coleslaw, and was told the on Friday's the chef won't substitute becuase the are going to get busy. But it was even more disappointing that the crabcakes had more filler then crab. For $25 I expect the crab cakes have noticible lumps of crab. These you could barely tell where the crab was. My food came out without the remoulade sauce as the menu stated. When I asked the waitress she was unaware of what the crabcakes were suppose to come with.
My husband got the fried seafood platter. He said it was good. Large portion. The only issue with his meal was it was suppose to come with coleslaw and again didn't come out with it.
It's sad that at an expensive restaurant like this that the chef didn't make sure everything came out of the kitchen that was suppose to come with the meals. I can understand having to ask for things we want extra like cocktail sauce but to have to ask for things the menu states comes with the meal you shouldn't have to. I probably should have said something to the manager but I figured he didn't really want to know since he was sitting at the bar and never once came around to any of the guests at any of the tables.
It is such ashame because it would be great to have a local restaurant that serves local fresh seafood.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Tucked away in a Gloucester marina you'll find the River's Inn. Not far from the Coleman Bridge but still off the beaten path, your drive will be rewarded by the exceptional food and service in an intimate setting.

We went on Valentine's day. I had arranged a floral delivery and they were brought out as we were seated. The place was busy but that did not affect the table service.

There are tables on the deck and what appears to be a fun little bar outside. Of course, being February we'll have to go back when the weather warms to try those out.

In any case, we'll definitely be making the drive across the York river a few more times.