“The #1 Restaurant was not #1 for me”
Review of No 1 Restaurant

No 1 Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 86 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My son would eat Chinese food for every meal so on our way to Yorktown we stopped at No. 1. The food came out very hot which we greatly appreciated. The lunch special included soup, the main course and pork fried rice for $5. The flavor and taste of the food was nothing special. The Hunan Chicken sauce was thick but had little flavor and should have been more spicy. The egg drop soup and wonton soup were what you would expect. The pork fried rice was very bland. I wish I had not used their bathroom because that really did it for me- it was filthy and looked as though it had not been cleaned in a long time. Yuck!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

To be fair, I definitely prefer the "Americanized" style of Chinese over genuine Chinese and I don't like sushi. However, my husband loves sushi and fancier Chinese, but for fast food Chinese, this is the only place to go! We always get their General Tso's (pronounced Cho's) combo. It comes with pork fried rice and an egg roll. The pork fried rice is a little greasy but has great flavor and I've never had it better anywhere else is. I don't actually know what General Tso's is supposed to taste like, but theirs is a pretty sweet sauce and I'm really not sure how else to describe it. Food is made very fast (definitely call ahead and it will be ready before you get there even if you leave your house as soon as you've called). Stays very hot for a long time, so it's perfect to take back to family. Do not recommend eating in there at all. They have a few tables in their, but they don't serve you and it's really only for your convenience. And you will smell like fried food when you leave. We always get it to go. It doesn't sound like they speak very good English, but they have always gotten our order right (my husband orders extra spicy and I order not spicy). But make sure you grab your own sauces at the counter, they don't put any in the bag automatically anymore. This is a no frills place, but food is always consistently good as we like it and are never disappointed.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is your everyday oriental take out. Very small dining area if you decide to eat in. You get plenty for your money, especially if you order a combo. I always order a combo and it is enough to feed at least two people.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Okay, it's a hole in the wall (literally) fast-food Chinese restaurant but I would be remiss if I didn't rave about their chicken terriyaki - it's wonderful but be sure to eat while it's freshly cooked (I don't care for it leftover). They also have a special that's listed/pictured on their wall but hard to find on their menu for boneless chicken with vegetables. You really MUST try this if you love Chow Gei Kew...it's the closest I've found and you can tell them which vegetables not to include if you like (carrot strips, mini corn, brocoli, sugar snap peas, several types of mushrooms, onions, bok choy). It's covered in a divine brown sauce and topped with crushed peanuts (you can also ask to delete if you like). This is my favorite dish from Number 1. Give it a try.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Not number one anymore. we ordered egg foo young and there was a total of three pieces of meat in the dish. We decided maybe they had a bad day and tried them again. We ordered the General Tso's meat was old and mangly. The kung pao chicken consisted of ALOT of vegtables and non existent chicken. We called them up and told them so and they said bring it back??Hello we don't live nearby to bring it back and we were HUNGRY. Never again. so sad they were a great business back in the day.