“If We Lived Closer, We'd Be Regulars. ”
Review of Mama Cucina

Mama Cucina
Ranked #2 of 173 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I first tried Mama Cucina's a year ago. We decided to come back again because we liked it so much the first time. We don't live in the Richmond area, but if we did, we would eat here all the time. The portion sizes are incredibly generous for the price. The wait staff is really nice and the food is delicious. We made it a point this time around to try the dessert and we are glad we did. This is one of our favorite Italian restaurants.

1  Thank oxtail_69

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I've eaten at this restaurant before in visits to the area and have always enjoyed the food. I felt is was time to write a review. This is one of those small Italian restaurants that has a neighborhood feel. The unfortunate fact is, the Glen Allen area has grown so much, it's strip center location is surrounded by all kinds of development, which makes it harder to spot.

The food is always good. You get tremendous portions and every entree I have ever eaten there has been very good. Every meal comes with a house salad (which is OK) and bread with herb olive oil.

You want a good Italian meal, give Mama a try.

1  Thank Bulldog82
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love the Shrimp Procuitto in Appetizers. It is enough for me to make a meal and reasonable priced. Other entrees are excellent too but you must share it or take a doggie bag as they give you too much for one sitting. I go on date night as well as with coworkers and Friends. Everyone loves the food and the staff are friendly with good service. Highly recommend!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We loved this restaurant, but kind of "neglected " it for 2-3 years and were surprised to find it under new family ownership when we returned 6 weeks ago.
Friendly atmosphere, very efficient service and wonderful, delicious food. What was most amazing, that they were asking customers for food preferences and were adding requests to the menu. I ate absolutely delicious Rockfish and when I mentioned to the owner that I liked Bronzino as well, next weekend we came for dinner- they had it on the menu.
Portions are huge(don't make mistake to order it for one person), you have to share it, their soup portion is enough at least for 3 people(you have to ask them to split), all food- meats, seafood are fresh and absolutely delicious.
For now it is our newly rediscovered favorite dining place. Value for money you pay is great as well, you can't beat it in any other places for the quality of the meal you have.
My friend, who works not far from this restaurant, goes there for lunch and states that food portions there as big as at dinner, but are twice cheaper.

1  Thank Vera995
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Where do I begin? The waitress was very nice. That was the highlight of the meal. The bread came with olive oil for dipping. It was a small bowl with dried herbs and tons of garlic at the bottom. The only way the herbs would be on your bread was to stick the bread far enough down to get to the herbs, but the bread will be nothing but drowned in oil. Then we had our appetizer which was the mozzarella, prosciutto, fennel, and artichoke. It was good. Now, for the bad parts. The entree ordered was the Chilean sea bass special with saueteed shrimp. The first thing I noticed when the entree was served was the enormous pool of oil the food was swimming in. Then, I noticed that the fish was breaded. It was difficult to see because the fish was incredibly soggy. Then I realized that the skin was still on, which isn't a bad thing if it was crispy. However, it was also soggy and awful. Additionally, the fish was not properly prepared as it was FULL of bones. Its normal to maybe have a couple of bones, but to take a beautiful piece of fish and not properly prepare it, but also bread it and cook it to where it is swimming in oil is just plain inexperience and carelessness. We sent that back and ordered the ravioli with walnut sauce. When that dish came out, all we saw was sauce. I am not exaggerating when I say that there were 6 ravioli that we had to dig around to find because of how much sauce was on there. We were very polite with our waitress and explained to her that he food was undesirable to say the least. She said she would tell the chef. I expected someone, anyone, a manager, owner, chef, anyone who cared about the food, the customer, and the business to come see us so we could chat with them. No one ever came to the table. The food was substandard, overpriced, and it would seem that they just wanted us to go away. Very unsatisfied and will not be returning.

2  Thank Rxfit
Mama34060, General Manager at Mama Cucina, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Rxfit,

First off I would like to apologize to you for your less than memorable experience. I'm sorry your fish and ravioli did not meet your expectations. I do however feel your assessment of my restaurant is less than fair.

You begin by mentioning that the dipping oil has dried herbs. I assure you only fresh garlic, fresh basil, fresh parsley and roasted red peppers are in the dipping oil. That alone shows me how novice your palate is. You stated to your server (my wife) that the Chilean Seabass was "not what you expected". I'm not sure what you were expecting, but on the special board it clearly stated how I was going to prepare it and it's exactly how it was served to you, with an olive oil, garlic and lemon sauce. The other 10 Chilean Seabass that I prepared that night had nothing but stellar comments and the one you sent back I tasted, my wife tasted and my sous chef tasted and we all agreed it was prepared perfectly. You later state the ravioli had too much sauce. Too much sauce is an ongoing theme with you, maybe when you dine out you should state either light sauce or sauce on the side to your server. I do make sure the raviolis have plenty of sauce because dipping your bread into the sauce is part of the experience in any good Italian restaurant. (FYI, I had a customer tell my wife that she wanted to bathe in the walnut cheese sauce that same night).

In closing, I'll apologize again for everything you were not happy with. I was unable to come talk to you about your displeasure because we had a graduation party of 25 people that I needed to serve at the time you were ready to leave. I just feel you might be used to dining at my competitors places where they use frozen seafood, packaged sauces and where half their entrees are prepared in either deep fryers or microwaves and your novice palate is unable to appreciate what great food truly is.

Been to Mama Cucina? Share your experiences!