“Simple & good”

Ranked #2 of 172 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Mama Cucina has been around for years, and I go occasionally. Each time I leave I wonder why I do not go more often, and it may be because I just cannot afford an entire new wardrobe of larger sized clothes. On a recent visit, having been disappointed by Veal Saltimbocca at another popular West End Italian restaurant, I decided to test the same dish at Mama Cucina.
Not only was the price several dollars less at Mama Cucina, the portion was easily double the size, and the flavors were much more complex & satisfying. I have found this to be the case with nearly every entree I have ordered here. I've read complaints about the service, but I have never encountered a problem.
Salads come with meals, and are served family-style in a large wooden bowl. To put it mildly, the house salads are "rustic." You will need to employ your knife. I wouldn't be surprised to get a cutting board, kitchen knife, and whole raw vegetables next time I go. Okay, the salads are a little odd, but the other food makes up for them, and at least you get salad without paying extra.
You go here for the food, and it is well-prepared & plentiful. The decor is the same as it's been for years. This is not a fancy place, it is crowded, and it's noisy. Sort of the way I imagine it would be eating at many places in Italy. Give it a try & see what you think.

1  Thank Bill H

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great meal as always! No one ever complains about the food when we go as a group here; it's fabulous!

1  Thank Linda L
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Eating lunch at Mama Cucina's is an annual Christmas lunch tradition our family. The food is fresh, very good, and the lunch servings are very generous so you should keep that in mind if you're inclined to order an appetizer and salad before your entree arrives. We always have plenty of "take home" for another meal. Their prices are reasonable so we consider it a bargain. If they're busy, the service can be a little slow because they're a small place. I guess we're tried everything on the menu and no complaints from the adults or the picky teenagers. My favorite choice for Italian food!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We went for dinner at Mama Cucima's because of the tripadvisor reviews. We were staying one night on our way to Hilton Head and I am glad we made it as far as Glen Allen that night. We had an amazing meal. The bread with olive oil and herbs was amazing. I could have eaten more but I'm glad I didn't because I couldn't finish my meal as it was. Next came salad with a great dressing. The next table to us had ordered one meal for the two of them and when ours came I could see why. (The menu stated that there was an extra charge for sharing. $3.50 I think.) My husband had the seafood special with linguine. It had all types of seafood in it, including lobster. He ate all the seafood but had to leave almost half the linguine which had a tomato-based sauce. I had roasted potatoes and peppers with veal and their homemade sausage with mozzarella over it. It also had a tomato-based sauce with mushrooms and onions. I could not believe it...6 plump sausages! I was able to eat all of the potatoes, some of the peppers and mushrooms, 2 sausages and all of the veal. My husband and I decided that we could combine our two plates of leftovers and have a hearty meal next day upon arrival at Hilton Head. It was delicious the second time around as well! We arrived around 8:30 p.m. and the place was full with people coming in after us. I don't suppose I'll ever be in Glen Allen again anytime soon but I definitely recommend Mama Cucima's. The only negative I can think of is that it is noisy.

1  Thank Paddy2216
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I'm not saying that the food doesn't compare to some of the great restaurants around town, I'm saying that this as good as you will get anywhere in Richmond and it's close to MY house. Dining with my brother from out of town and we enjoyed everything from the shrimp appetizer to the entree's and a bottle of wine. Service was prompt and the staff was pleasant although they were constantly checking (discreetly) when you were going to leave. I felt a little rushed at the end, but as there was a line forming to get in, I understood. All in all, we enjoyed the food and the conversation and I will continue to go back.

Been to Mama Cucina? Share your experiences!