“Worth the Effort”

Ranked #2 of 172 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Mama Cucina wasn't really near our hotel, but since I wanted Italian and the reviews were so good, we decided to make the drive (only about 15 minutes). It was worth it.

We were greeted by the very friendly owner and promptly shown to a table. The server arrived quickly with water and was helpful in advising about the menu and some unique items. My wife ordered an appetizer for her dinner and I ordered the fish special of the day. Both of us were served the very fresh and crisp salad and the yummy home baked bread.

Our dishes were served at just the right time, salad was completed and a few, but not too many minutes, to relax between courses. Her dish was prawns with prosciutto and mozzarella in a butter-lemon sauce. The cheese was melted just right and the prosciutto added saltiness and texture. My dish was grouper with prawns and asparagus served with a side of pasta. The fish was perfectly cooked, juicy and tender. It is so easy to overcook fish and they did it just right.

Service throughout the meal was prompt but not overly invasive. Overall, a very nice meal!

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

The great Italian food debate pervades Richmond, I get it...but this place is not good. If you know good Italian, you know that water, ketchup and garlic does not sauce make. I guess everyone has different tastes. Sauce like soup, bread like a salt lick, atmosphere like a back alley. Still, others seem to love the bland and uninspired execution of what sounds like a great menu. The portions are amazing and the staff is attentive. Location is great too but just disappointing. Good price for amount of food.

2  Thank DomCo23
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Not sure why it has a good following. The menu sounds great but the chef believes Italian food is simply ketchup, oil, and garlic. Poor execution all around. Had a few dishes now and it never gets better. If you are used to Italian food from places like Philly and NY, or from people that are from Italy, I would avoid. Portions are huge for the value though. Bread and even dipping oil were bad....didn't think you could mess either up. If your last name ends in a vowel, go elsewhere.

1  Thank DomCo23
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great food that was reasonably priced. Fast and friendly service. Ample serving size. Plan to return for dinner in near future.

1  Thank VAFamilyRichmond_VA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The restaurant is tiny, with almost too many tables in too small of a space. The waitstaff is friendly and the service is quick. The food was just ok, and the portions rather small for the price. This may just be what I ordered, which was ravioli, but I have had better. The salad was delicious. I will say that they have a good wine selection, and make great recommendations. The decor is nothing special. I have been twice, and both times the noise level was so high I could not hear the person sitting across from me. Overall I walked out full, but it was not the memorable experience that many people have had. I've had better Italian.