“Wonderful lunch!”

Ranked #2 of 168 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2012

This little place has an old-time family restaurant feeling. The decor is dated but homey, the staff on duty during my visit were older ladies. A relaxing place to visit, and what great food! My colleague and I didn't want anything heavy and chose two salads to share, a chicken/seafood leafy salad that came in a proper salad bowl with plates to serve ourselves, and a mozzarella/tomato/prosciutto salad. They were both excellent with very generous portions! The rest of the lunch menu offered full meat-based Italian meals, I'm sure they would have been great too.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

It was very hot this June 8 evening when we went to celebrate a birthday. It was so hot in the restaurant....the air conditioning was either off or just could not keep up with the packed restaurant and the extreme heat outside. Nonetheless, the meals were superb, as usual. I prefer this restaurant when the weather is cooler. All the food is made on-site, and it is a great dining experience!

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Not real fancy but definitely lots of good items on the menu. Portions are huge ,prices are reasonable and the service was great. If you're looking for an informal , fun little JOINT,this is your place.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

We ended up at this restaurant when our first choice had an hour and a half wait for dinner. What a lucky break. This is a small place - probably about 15 tables max. It is not fancy so might not be a choice for a romantic dinner. There is a full-service bar and large wine list. The food is genuine Italian in enormous quantities. My friend and I split an entree and couldn't even finish that. We had the special for the night of veal, pork and chicken in a marinara sauce over pasta. Delicious! You can ask for a separate plate - costs $3.50. I thought that was reasonable considering the amount of food was more than adequate for two. Fresh bread and olive oil dipping sauce were brought to the table and more came with dinner. The entree came with a large house salad which actually was almost a chef salad - not just lettuce like most side salads tend to be. We shared this as well. The salad had a tangy vinaigrette sauce that was good.
Service was somewhat hurried as they were quite busy on a Friday night. One odd thing I noticed was a couple who came in and asked how long the wait was and the hostess replied she had no idea. They seemed quite taken aback by this. I would think some turnover might be predictable. In any case, this is a place to get some very good Italian food in a local kitchen type friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were looking for a decent sit down dinner at a reasonable price for the family on our recent trip to Richmond. We drove through the shopping center where this restaurant was located and were drawn in by the sign that read "casual family dining". It was, indeed, casual, but the prices were more in line with a high end restaurant. We noticed that the portions being served to the adjacent tables were huge, so we decided to order 3 entrees for the five of us to share. Unfortunately, they charge sharing fee - who does this anymore??? My wife and daughter frequently do this and this was the first time we've been charged in years. They do serve the salad family style (like Olive Garden), so I figured the sharing charge was to cover the extra salad. Wrong! We had to pay extra again for the salad to be for five instead of three. Then, I noticed that the salad bowl served to the table of two beside us was the exact size as our bowl anyway - in other words, I was charged for extra salad, but didn't really receive extra salad.

The dining room was quite small with very little space between tables. You could easily hear others' conversations and see exactly what they were eating. Too close for comfort, in my opinion.

The food quality, I must say, was good. In typical Italian fashion, there was loads of pasta. I ordered a shrimp dish which was served on a large platter filled with pasta. There were 5 shrimp laying in a nice row on top. For the $20+ price tag, more shrimp would have been nice..

In summary, as you can tell, I was not all that impressed with Mama Cucina mostly because of the value and extra charges. The atmosphere did not fit the price.

1  Thank redelaneymd

Been to Mama Cucina? Share your experiences!