“Once upon a time this was worth going out of your way for.... not anymore.”

Capital Ale House - Innsbook
Ranked #6 of 165 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Western New York
“Once upon a time this was worth going out of your way for.... not anymore.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Don't get me wrong... This is not a bad place, it's actually pretty good, but it used to be so much better.

In the summer of 2012 my wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Glenn Allen (a fabulous place, BTW). We'd been driving all day so we were looking for a place we could walk to for dinner. We ended up going to an Indian restaurant nearby, but we stopped at the Capital Ale House for a drink after dinner. It was awesome. They had a wide variety of draft beer, but the thing that really made it great was that they had an ice cold rail along the bar. You set your beer on the rail and it would stay cold all the way to the last drop. It was absolutely incredible. That night my wife and I really wished we'd had dinner there.

So this year we made the same trip and this time we decided to have dinner at the Capital Ale House as well as another ice cold beer. Sad to say, the beer rail has been removed. We asked about it, of course, and were told that it had leaked and almost rotted out the bar. I'm thinking... surely that's a problem that solvable? But I guess not... they just tore it out.

Well we had dinner at the bar anyway. The food was perfectly ok (I had a steak), but I wouldn't call it inspired, or creative or even particularly original. The beer selection was wonderful as always and my wife and I each had a mixed drink (martini and cosmo) and they were very well done (and we're both somewhat picky about this). The service was excellent.

We'll probably return to eat here again, if for no other reason that we will be back in the area and we still won't want to get back in our car after a long day of driving. But I'll never look forward to it again quite the way I once did.

• Visited August 2013

“A Place to Stand and Drink Beer”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Great reasonably priced beer selection. Patrons tend to stand and socialize rather than use tables. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Richmond, Virginia
“Brews & the Crew”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We spent a few hours at Capital Ale House on Labor Day evening for a mini reunion with some college buddies (party of 12). We chose Capital Ale for the wide variety of beer choices and their ability to accomodate large parties. We were not wowed by the service, but we didn't have any particular complaints either. I enjoyed a hefeweizen with their club sandwich. They served it along with a house mayonnaise that I really enjoyed. My husband had the soft shell crab cake sandwich, and he raved about it.

If you're a beer connoisseur, you definitely need to check them out, especially in October for all their Oktoberfest choices. This particular location does have outdoor seating overlooking a pretty little water area.

• Visited September 2013
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Delicious Blueberry Brown Betty”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am not a big fan of deserts but the capital ale house Blueberry Brown Betty hit the spot. The bake blueberries with brown sugar and pretzel crust were baked to a perfect brown texture. The blueberries were not too sweet with a slight tart flavor. The side of vanilla ice cream was the perfect touch. Yummy.

Visited September 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Go for the Brews...”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

...but the food, sadly, rates a "meh." I was looking forward to what could be done with a blackened prime rib, but found it to be a new way to mess up an otherwise delectable cut. Prices not commensurate with the cuisine. So in other words, don't bother with the food. The staff's attitude is, how to describe it? - adequate. Not really going out of their way to make you feel at home, but more of, let's get you moved on out. I've experienced McDonald's staff that are friendlier. Maybe it was our specific server, but noticing the other wait staff, they had that same semi-disinterested look. Overall, go for the beers and ales, but don't bother with much else, especially for the price.

• Visited August 2013