“what were we thinking to trust all of those good reviews”
Review of Hondos

Hondos
Reserve with OpenTable
Hondos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 166 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad St.
Description: Hondos is Richmond's prime destination for great steak. Hondos features a variety of perfectly aged cuts, broiled to your request and served sizzling. The menu features three different cuts of filet mignon, a cowboy rib-eye and a 24oz porterhouse. Hondos also specializes in fresh seafood with such favorites as jumbo lump (absolutely no-filler) crabcakes, South African lobster tails and a daily "fresh catch" to name a few. Whether a romantic evening for two or a business dinner, Hondos is sure to surpass your highest expectations in food and unparalleled service. Why not join us tonight?
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“what were we thinking to trust all of those good reviews”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

First and foremost I would like to say I'm not sure when we first walked in what the blond females position was behind the hostess station is when we walked in .....very uncomfortable....she looked as if she had never seen an interacial couple in her life...I'm American and my husband is Chinese.....the looks she gave us made me very uncomfortable....This was supposed to be a memorable experience for our son because he's attending the Univeristy of Richmond, but I was so dissapointed to say the least.....to spend over 300$ for 3 people was absolutely ridiculous especially if it is not worth it.....We have been to Atlantic City and spent that for two people for lunch and have no regrets.....My appetizer was awful ordering the Silver Dollar Scallops was a mistake especially when they were served cold and sweet...disgusting! I ordered the seafood trio and it was triple gross to say the least....I had two cold scallops with some pittiful pesto sauce, two parmesian shrimp, all served on top on their alleged famous crab cakes which were more like something my neighbors cat may have coughed up..There were also crab shells in my crab cake which was not even formed properly or even cooked (no golden crust) . It was more like they had scooped up some crab sallad with an ice cream scooper and said wa la! what a work of art!

Lesson learned dont't be fooled by good reviews.......... you will be terribly just as dissapointed as we were!!!!!! never again...Go to Burger King and save your time and money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank KFONG2013
Lewis_Inc, Director of Sales at Hondos, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your singular review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Hondo's. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to leave your remarks. In an effort to make improvements in our daily operations, we read and review every comment our guests leave on the web. From prep-table to parking spot, we are tireless in the pursuit of perfection.
We are grateful for the many fine reviews here on Trip Advisor, and it is nice to see that they led you to select Hondo's for your evening out. We regret that your experience did not seem to reflect the sterling service and excellent cuisine for which we have become known. I have spoken to our host from the evening in question, and I am assured that she never intended to issue any offence. She is in fact, sincerely horrified that she could have seemed anything other than hospitable. Such discrimination is not, and has never been, tolerated at Hondo’s. (You might be interested to know that our owner’s nuclear family of three is comprised of three different nationalities.) Please accept our most humble apologies for making you feel anything other than right at home.
I am also sorry that you did not enjoy your seafood trio. One of our most popular entrees, we have received many glowing remarks about this dish. We have also won many awards for our no-filler crab-cake recipe. The lack of filler allows us to focus on the sweet meat of the crab; this is why you encountered no crust.
As always, we hope that if a guest does not enjoy an item at Hondo’s, they will let us know of any issue when they are here. We are happy to replace any item that does not delight with something you find more palatable. We never wish for a guest to leave feeling anything other than satisfied.

Toni Peebles
Director of Sales & Marketing

Carrollton, Virginia
“A little pricey, but good!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The best part about Hondos is sitting at the bar having a cocktail and app. If you dine, you'd better prepare to have your wallet wide open. It's pricey, but the food is good. We waited a little longer than normal for our food to come out, but it was great.

Visited August 2013
Virginia
“Best Brunch Vaue in Richmond Metro”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This has to be one of the best Brunch values in the Richmond Metro area. We had Eggs Hondo (Benedict), Prime Rib and Ham sliced at the carving station (they also had omelets being prepared), seafood newberg, sausage gravy & biscuiots, cheese grits, fruits and breads, pecan pie and Mimosas. There was a lot of other foods that we didn't sample because we were too full. Plus, they had music (piano & bass) that was very good and set the mood. All of this for $24.95 each! Deal of the week.

• Visited August 2013
Hopewell Junction, New York
“Nice steak and Chop House”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The food was well prepared, I had the Frenched Austrailian (I know it sound funny) Lamb Chops medium rare which were well seasoned and delicious. The house salad was nice and fresh, the Garlic Mashed potatoes where ok. My friend had the Crab Cakes and thought they were delicious as well. The wine list was good and the Molten Lave cake dessert was to die for!

Visited August 2013
richmond, va
“Nothing to get excited about”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had dinner at Hondos on a Saturday night recently. Almost no one was there. Lots of wait staff walking around doing nothing. Annoying non stop Christopher Cross music playing. Other than that, the atmosphere was very steakhouse like. Wine list was not very extensive. Took about 15minutes to get our wine once ordered which was surprising considering the lack of patrons. The menu was small. Ordered the crab cakes which were okay. Everyone else got steak which they seemed to like. Overall the food was no better than average. While we were eating a waitress began removing the glassware from all of the empty tables in our room. This was very loud and a very unprofessional thing to do while patrons are eating their meals. I would not recommend Hondos.. There are better steakhouses in Richmond.

• Visited July 2013
Lewis_Inc, Public Relations Manager at Hondos, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your post here on Trip Advisor. We welcome reviews from our guests as we seek opportunity to improve through their feedback. From kitchen to curb we are tireless in the pursuit of perfection; this mission is what WE get excited about.
I am glad that your party enjoyed the steaks, though so very sorry that you found our award winning no-filler lump-crabcakes to be just average. I am indeed horrified that a server was so very distracting while you dined. We pride ourselves on the sterling performance for which our staff is generally known, and I have addressed this grievous misstep with our entire team. I am deeply sorry that you did not have the experience for which you had hoped at Hondo’s. After reading the reminder of your reviews here on Trip Advisor and seeing that you have not yet had a perfect experience anywhere, I am unsure that any restaurant could be up to the challenge. I would indeed appreciate the opportunity to try to exceed your every expectation. If it is not too much trouble, might you send me an email with your contact information so I might offer my apologies in a less anonymous, more appropriate manner? I would truly delight in the opportunity to serve you the meal you deserve. Please reference the code TA-7-14 in the email so I will know to which post the email refers. My email address is hondos.toni@yahoo.com
Toni Peebles