“JUST AVERAGE” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hondos

Hondos
Reserve with OpenTable
Hondos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 164 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad St.
Description: Hondos is Richmond's prime destination for great steak. Hondos features a variety of perfectly aged cuts, broiled to your request and served sizzling. The menu features three different cuts of filet mignon, a cowboy rib-eye and a 24oz porterhouse. Hondos also specializes in fresh seafood with such favorites as jumbo lump (absolutely no-filler) crabcakes, South African lobster tails and a daily "fresh catch" to name a few. Whether a romantic evening for two or a business dinner, Hondos is sure to surpass your highest expectations in food and unparalleled service. Why not join us tonight?
ditraveling7
“JUST AVERAGE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I ate lunch here and I guess I was expecting something a little better. It was really just average. Nothing stood out at all. Tuna was a little fishy and fries plain. The service was ok. The hostess acted like we weren't dressed well enough to come into the place. More than likely I won't be back.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank ditraveling7

Richmond, Virginia
“Consistently Good Food in an Unlikely Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hondo's is a great local restaurant nestled in a strip mall at the entrance to Innsbruck in the west end of Richmond. The food quality is consistently good and the setting has that old world steakhouse feel inside. The service is usually very good and attentive but can get a little slow on Fridays and Saturdays. Hondo's also has a couple of rooms for private events of the 10-20 person size. Great wine list and seafood and steak pairings. Sides are a la carte and the drinks while a little on the high side are generous.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank cuhint
Alicante, Spain
“Very average steak-great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

I took my own bottle of wine - $30 charge.
Seafood bisque was average with very little actualy fish in it. Wedge salad had far too much blue cheese on it. The major dissapointment was my NY strip. It was tough and mostly tasteless. For $45,I expected better- much better.Shulas at the Hilton far surpassed this place.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

A friend suggested this as a great steak stop while in the Richmond area. First, the service was outstanding from the start. The gentlemen at the door was very agreeable as I questioned him on a number of things. The young lady waiting on tables in the bar, Olga was exceptional. Not only could she answer every detailed question about the location, the menu, etc. she was also very interesting just in chatting.

In fairness, I am a great fan of Capital Grille and Ruth Chris Steakhouse. Therefore that's what I use to judge the food. I ordered a filet (medium) and a side of asparagus. The filet came a little too undercooked but nevertheless, the portion was decent. My issue was that it was a little tough and frankly, the taste was nowhere near what I would expect for the price. This one absolutely required the use of a steak knife.

I would certainly recommend the place but I would also suggest that my other favorites remain exactly that. This restaurant is no competition for either. When you pay top dollar for a meal, you expect nothing but the best. This was good, but not worth the money.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mjmurray60
Midlothian, Virginia
“Over priced... with flies”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

My husband and I decided to have a "date night" tonight. We both work at a location near the restaurant and decided to unwind after work on a Thursday night. While the atmosphere is nice, it is a bit stuffy and the drinks were WAY over priced. No "happy hour" here - but that was okay because it was "date night". We started with a dirty Martini. What came was not so dirty and not so tasty. So, we switched to white wine. Over priced, but again, we splurged because it was "date night". To compliment our drinks, we asked for bar snacks that others around us were enjoying. The waitress actually offered to give us another customer's dish! I had to point out that the customer had used his fingers to fish out the mix in his bowl and I would rather not "share" his portion. Are you kidding me?!!!!!

As if this wasn't enough, It got worse. "Date night" came to a nauseatingly abrupt halt when I discovered, to my horror, we had a dead fly in our Calamari appetizer that I was one step away from eating! Well, I know unfortunate things can happen in Virginia in August, but come on!!!!! We immediately asked to speak to the manager. The "manager" tried to infer the fly simply "flew into our dish" by magic! That the dish was cooked to "hundreds of degrees" blah-blah-blah....Instead of doing the right thing and taking responsibility for insects in the food, he tried to minimize our concerns. Unbelievable!

While the manager did comp the "Special Ingredient" calamari, we still ended up paying for four over priced drinks and feeling ill over the appetizer experience.... So much for a great "date night".

Do yourself a favor - with so many great places to go and spend your money, stay away from this over priced, just okay restaurant. I know we certainly will.

• 1 of 5 bubbles