“Great surprise, Fresh excellent food”

Maya Mexican Grill and Tequila Lounge
Ranked #5 of 166 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
virginia,usa
“Great surprise, Fresh excellent food”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This restaurant really raises the bar on Mexican food. Flavors are fresh and non greasy. The Skirt steak with grilled pineapple was excellent. The grilled chicken with grilled zucchini portabellas and eggplant was a tasty treat. Get there before 7 pm for happy hour on beverages. Our server had great suggestions. She was attentive and very professional. She directed us to the Queso Fundido my husbands favorite was the best of its kind.

Visited July 2014

Simpsonville, Kentucky
“Excellent take on Mexican cuisine”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

It's not your typical burrito and taco Mexican restaurant. There are some very nice options on the menu. A variety of tacos and queso appetizer you would expect, some of the inventive entrees are not expected. The chips come to the table with a flavorful salsa but it very mild. I asked for something spicy and the waitress brought a sampler of three spicy salsas that were very good. I ordered a shrimp, scallop and tamal entree that was delicious. Perfectly cooked tender scallops came on either side of tasty sweet corn tamale that could be eaten from the corn husks formed into a bowl like shape. The cream sauce over the shrimp and tamal was absolutely wonderful. If not for some service breakdowns I would consider it 5 stars. Really the waitress was somewhat inattentive especially when it came to leaving me without beverages. Some entrees were a bit pricey, but very much worth it.

Wantagh, New York
“Chillin' after Laxin'”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you find yourself in or near Glen Allen and dont know where to eat treat yourself to a delicious meal here. The guacamole can be prepared the way you like it. The drinks don't disappoint nor does the outstanding food. You will be glad you ate here.

Manakin Sabot, Virginia
“Not your typical Mexican”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Wonderful experience. My wife ate with friends and suggested we go to dinner there last night. What a great find tucked away in a strip mall. Off the bat we were impressed by the friendliness of the hostess and wait staff. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and suggested the Chipotle Bourbon tacos. Previously she had the three sirloin tacos and we had planned to get those. Glad we switched. The Chipotle Bourbon tacos were unbelievable. Normally i have to drown tacos with salsa to give them some taste. Not with these. I did not want to waste the flavors. Service was outstanding. The wait staff worked as a team. If someone saw you needed water, they brought it to you. Wish more restaurants would do this. We cannot wait to go back.Next time we host our dinner group, this is where we are going.

2 Thank dond7
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent Every Time!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is not your average Mexican restaurant. In fact, I don’t think I can visit a Mexican chain restaurant again. Maya has truly set the new standard. Living in the West End of Richmond, my husband and I were thrilled to find this gem among the sea of retail and restaurant chains. We have come here for dinner more times than we can count and find ourselves looking forward to our next visit even while finishing our meal!

The head chef, Maria is always greeting diners, which I really appreciate. You can tell that she takes great pride in the quality and presentation of the drinks and food Maya puts out. The drinks are all made to order and made with fresh ingredients. My husband and I love Maria’s Margarita! Even the complimentary chips and salsa are better than I have had elsewhere. I really wish I could buy jars of their salsa to take home! Some of our absolute favorite items on the menu are the Queso Fundido, Jumbo Lumb Crab Chile Relleno, the Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass, and all of their tacos. To be completely honest, I was not the biggest fan of their enchiladas and nachos. They could both use more cheese. I also believe the enchiladas get a bit dried out when baked. Besides these minor critiques, I can honestly say that Maya is one our favorite restaurants in Richmond.

4 Thank snv4u