“Delicious food, service substandard”

Maya Mexican Grill and Tequila Lounge
Ranked #8 of 166 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Glen Allen, Virginia
“Delicious food, service substandard”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Had my first dining experience last evening at Maya. Food was artfully presented and very delicious. Great variety and price points. Faults however was the service and acoustics in the dining area. Waited forever for entrees to be delivered. Ran out of chips while waiting for entrees so couldn't finish guacamole. Waiter apologized several times for delays but we still waited over 45 min to be served. Reading from other reviews that seems to be a consistent complaint. Maybe they should adjust their staffing?! Also between the music volume being so loud and the rude table of 4
behind us yelling at each other like they were the only ones in the universe (oops I mean in the restaurant) we could hardly hear our own conversation.

Richmond, Virginia
“Upscale Mexican”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Maya Mexican grill and Tequila Lounge is a wonderful restaurant. In a town that has many Mexican restaurants that serve large plates of tacos and burritos, Maya is a fresh and delicious take on Mexican food. The taco salad with steak is fresh and delicious, the steak is perfectly cooked and tender. They have tapas plates that are unique as well as fish tacos. All the food is beautifully presented and very flavorful. The Margaritas are good too. I highly recommend Maya if you want well prepared, fresh Mexican fare.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Michele E
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Simply amazing! I had Colin the bartender make up a drink for me that I had only heard of in the islands, and he nailed it! Then the Tina came, and it was spectacular. Perfect, even. Seared on the outside,and perfectly moist on the inside. I can't say enough. Reasonablely priced. Will DEF return!

• Visited April 2014
Montpelier, Virginia, USA
“Best afternoon ever”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food is fresh, delicious and unique, The margaritas are great. I had the chorizo appetizer- which could be a meal.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Nam5297
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
“Good Food but pricey for quantity of food provided”
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

I had dinner at Maya tonight. The place was not packed so I was seated promptly. The service overall was ok. The atmosphere just ok as well, but I doubt that they routinely have a large family birthday party going with little girls dancing around. Very cute little girls but...I ordered Chilean sea bass with a salsa, on a bed of spinach and mashed plantains. The meal was delicious; absolutely wonderful but the price was high at $25.99 for a 1" thick 2"x2" piece of fish. I made my complaint known to the manager who thanked me for my observation but nothing more.
I'm reluctant to try it again despite the good food.

Visited April 2014